The backpacking thread

sixstringsteve

For those that carry a bladder or platy, I wonder if they could be inflated and used as a pillow. i may have to try that next trip. Bladders are pretty tough these days, and if I'm carrying it anyway, I might as well try it as a pillow.

Oh, and I want this job.

[video=youtube;oWII5dNNvJQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWII5dNNvJQ[/video]

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
If I were going to carry one I think it would be the x pillow. I think the down pillow would compress too much. I don't usually carry enough extra clothes to sleep on and 4 oz for a pillow system is much lighter than even one shirt. I slept on a stuff sack filled with random stuff the whole way through greenland. I slept alright, but I obsess over everything so I want a new pillow system to make it a little better.

For me, part of the reason I try to lighten everything up is so I can have a more comfortable experience all around. If I shave weight in enough places then I can carry more and still be ultralight.

My wife lightens everything up with no thought for comfort. She cares zero about being comfortable when at camp. For her, it is about being comfortable getting to camp. The exception to that is warmth.

I was wondering about the cocoon. It seems like a great idea. Good to know you like it. Have you had any problems with it leaking? I read several reviews awhile ago that said it leaked. Maybe it has changed since then.
It would weigh 4 oz and seems like a super cush weigh(pun intended) to go. I frequently sleep on my side and stomach but roll around a lot. The air cocoon would be cheaper, same weight, and all together. hmmmm.

I've never had a problem with mine leaking, but the bladder is like a sandwich bag, so I can see how it could be delicate. I honestly think the texture of a cuban/fleece sack filled with fleece would be more comfortable, but you can't beat the packed size of the air pillow if you are carrying a dedicated pillow. The things I like best about the cacoon are the packed size and weight, and the fact that it has a nylon side and a fleece side (nylon for hot weather and fleece for cold). Coincidentally, one came up for trade/sale this morning on BackpackingLight's GearSwap.

Last edited:

DAA

I'm very comfort driven. On the trail. In camp. Sitting. Sleeping. Eating. Drinking. All of it, I'll carry "as much as I have to", in order to be comfortable. I just keep trying to move that "as much as I have to" bottom line downward, is all. And the ounces are getting to be hard fought and expensive, so I'm loathe to give any back.

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I tested out my Camelbak pillow tonight and it worked great. I could see this working in the future. I'm going to try it at the next camp, and shave 1 lb.

yep I am fat. Great observation. If you put a winky face at the end then it makes it so much less hurtful….

but you are totally right.

You're in good company. I find myself looking at gear weight and pondering spending hundreds to drop a few ounces and then remember, "hey fatty, you're carrying twenty times that weight around all day at your midsection, get working."

I have a neighbor that does endurance racing and is 6' and maybe 150lbs. He is pretty smug and comes across as having a superiority complex but is also single, in his mid 20's and lives with his parents. He has the upper body of a 12 year old girl and yet I don't brag about throwing up 275 on the bench or some stupid competition based comment in an area that he struggles with. To each their own I suppose, I just like getting out with people that love the outdoors and are pleasant to be around, it's not a race for me.

With work chewing up 50-60 hours a week and a wife and children I'm lucky to get in six or seven hours of varied exercise a week, let alone the 20-25 hours that it takes to train for endurance racing.

Edit: ooops, using the wife's account I see.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
yep I am fat..

Oh please, you're barely pudgy. I'm fat.

You're in good company. I find myself looking at gear weight and pondering spending hundreds to drop a few ounces and then remember, "hey fatty, you're carrying twenty times that weight around all day at your midsection, get working."

That's exactly where I'm at. Half the reason I get out and hike (and hopefully some backpacking again, this summer) is for the exercise. I should be putting rocks in my pack, not dropping hundreds of dollars on titanium strap buckles.

mesha

By endurance we conquer

I have a neighbor that does endurance racing and is 6' and maybe 150lbs. He is pretty smug and comes across as having a superiority complex but is also single, in his mid 20's and lives with his parents. He has the upper body of a 12 year old girl and yet I don't brag about throwing up 275 on the bench or some stupid competition based comment in an area that he struggles with. To each their own I suppose, I just like getting out with people that love the outdoors and are pleasant to be around, it's not a race for me.

With work chewing up 50-60 hours a week and a wife and children I'm lucky to get in six or seven hours of varied exercise a week, let alone the 20-25 hours that it takes to train for endurance racing.

Edit: ooops, using the wife's account I see.

Hiking and backpacking is a great way to get in shape. My last long backpacking trip I dropped about 20 lbs. Not my motivation though, I do it because it is fun.

Off track:
It often gets looked down upon by racer type people because it is slow and "anyone" can do it. The funny thing is I have done an adventure race, I ran cross country in high school(on a national championship team), I walked 125 miles across the tundra in greenland, but speed racers still think there lifestyle is so much better than us slow moving hikers/backpackers. It makes me laugh.

back on track:
Ounces in the backpack are definitely not the only way to get a good experience hiking. Being in better shape, being comfortable, seclusion, or being with good friends are all reasons to get out there. If your sole purpose it to have a light pack then backpacking won't stick and all that money you spent will be a waste.

DAA

It's all about finding just the right spot to relax with a good cigar for me :D.

20130427_GG_BP-263W.jpg

IMG_0122WW.JPG

20130628_Uintas_Backpacking-127W.jpg

:rofl:

- DAA

sixstringsteve

I love backpacking. I love camping with friends, I love carrying everything I need to survive on my back, I love being alone in nature, I love the quiet moments to reflect and appreciate life, and I love the beauty. I don't, however, enjoy going back to work in a cube after a great outdoors trip. :D

mesha

By endurance we conquer
How do you like them? My current gaiters are awesome, but they weigh 9.3 oz. I am looking for a lighter option. I have read good things about dirty girl gaiters, but never seen a pair in person.

MLD makes some light eVent gaiters that look cool too.