The beginnings of the Revolt!

P

pokeyYJ

And I thought my four popper was gutless with 31's, with 38's I won't even make it over the hump and the end of the driveway.:D

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
This has been a great thread.

One thing's for sure, It is very easy to look down (or up, depending on the case) on someone else who's building/driving goals are not like your own. It is easy for a newbie (I was one a few years ago) to say "I'm never going bigger than 33's and 3" lift anyone who does is a moron and a tipover waiting to happen." Nowadays people roll over on purpose and drive on each others hoods.......(that one is still beyond me). There are a few things I will never have tolerance for, the first of which are people who drink and drive on the trail. The second are people who spell axle "axel" (OK just kidding:) I won't go into the others).

For me wheeling is 50% wheeling and 50% building. As far as the bling bling rigs, many people have show jeeps and thats it. I think 1/3 of the cost of building my jeep has been buying new tools. People ask why do a paint job on a wheeling rig it will just get scratched. Well I can't learn how to do bodywork without working on it! It's all about knowledge, knowledge is power!! The more you learn the more you learn.......er something like that. With lots of shiny tools.

EZ

P

pokeyYJ

Yes shinny new tools are fun, I like shinny things hehe. Building can be part of the fun i guess, when I put my lift on there was more cursing than fun (darn rusty bolts) but it was a good experience.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by pokeyYJ
"Man with some lockers and a 8.8 rear end I would be able to go anywhere."

Ok, I wasn't really going to post, but with this I have to. unfortunately, I have spent a lot of money on my rig. Had I known better, I could have spent less and got more performance, but here I am with what I have.

Many of you are going to give me a lot of $#!^ about this, but as of today, I still have the D35 and D30 on my TJ. I have added detroits and 4.10 gears, but I'm still going strong with the D35/D30 combo. Yes, I did drop the cash on the awesome 35 kit, but you know what....I've done some pretty killer trials and beat on that D35 kit pretty hard. It is still holding up.

My friend has the D30/D35 combo and has a limited slip rear and lockright front. Is it indestructable, no (of course not), but is he able to run the same trails I am running....so far yes, but he still has some proving to do.

Am I running the same trails as some of the more built rigs...Yes. Can i run all the same trails as those built rigs...No, but it sure is fun when I do an obstacle and one of the driver's of those built rigs comments on how well my rig and I are performing on those trails.

Have I put my winch to use?? Yes, see my writeup on the T-day Moab run(s). Have I not been able to finesse my way over some obstacles and had to use a little more goose to make it....Of course.

I guess my point is that it is very fun to take a rig and push it to its limits. Regardless of how much build you have into your rig, it is a blast to push it and see what it can do. Yes, when I upgrade my axles, when I get bigger tires, I'll try harder trails (upper helldorado, the proving grounds etc.) but right now, it is awesome when I can drive my rig through the same trails that much more capable rigs are doing.

I bet my friend with the lockright and limited slip wouldn't be too far behind me if he had been running with us this weekend. You don't have to spend a lot to get a rig capable of doing some pretty tough trials. It does take a little more finesse, but to me, driving skill is paramount to wheeling. Just like when I raced my stock GSXR, I tried to hone my riding skills to keep up with guys who were riding bikes with a lot more capability.

It is all about challenging yourself and your rig. Take your rig, in whatever state of build it is in, and push it to its limits.

And most important of all, have fun when you do it!!!

troutbum

cubi-kill
Sorry to be blunt but :D :D :D
[RANT] I think the idea that the type of rig someone drives dictates how responsible they are in regards to the trail is stoopid.:rolleyes: Assholes are assholes no matter what they drive, what color they are or what they believe.

I would think that those with big $$$ invested have the biggest interest in seeing trails remain open, (but, see above equation asshole=asshole). Bypasses are a bigger issue than anything in my mind, and I don't see many rigs on 37"+ rubber taking the bypasses.

If you want to blame anything blame the damn Jeep liberty commercials which convince anyone with deep enough pockets that they can go anywhere. [/RANT]

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Brent

Dohhhhh, hope you got a flame resistant suit, and mat dosen't know your work #, cause he will be calling you to bitch you out for that little remark, might take 6 weeks for him to get pissed off enough to do it, so that should give you time to change your home number to an unlisted one ;) just remember in their world, you are not allowed to have an oppinion.

Your right Brent, I sincerely apologize for my opinion. I shouldn't have brought up Factory, being as they are not properly represented on this forum, and cannot defend themselves. My bad.

ewander

I think that about 90% of you guys have some serious phsycological problems....and definitely need therapy. Any body that would put 4 different lifts, a couple different gear sets, lockers and about 5 different tire sizes on their jeep are plain nuts. Did I really do all that?

I hate working on my jeep. I like to drive. It seems like the more you get into the sport, the more you end up working on your vehicle, and doing more stuff.

I really just wanted to make a point about something Pokey said. People at his work or that he comes in contact with don't really have a good impression of the sport because of things they see. Gee, I have seen the total opposite. I have to admit that I have spread the sport where I work by "several" jeeps. Of course most of their wives now hate me because I brought the obsession to them up close and personal, but it is all good. Pokey, my advice to you is to quit now, or totally surrender to it. It's going to happen anyway. I ran into you and some of your friends up AF canyon this fall. You already have the bug and it is spreading. Take evasive measures immediately or just accept it.

Eric

S

sukaB

Girls love wheelin it turns them on......
Show them your pokey you get from wheelin too.
They'll love yah.....
;)

P

pokeyYJ

Ewander, when did I see you up at AF? I think that I would have remembered seeing you Jeep.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
uh, six pages of this...........I can't remember what this thread was supposed to be about in the first place. Something about jeeping I think?

EZ

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Originally posted by EZRhino
uh, six pages of this...........I can't remember what this thread was supposed to be about in the first place. Something about jeeping I think?

EZ

No,,, I think it started as a test thread...

:eek:

P

pokeyYJ

OK new fuel for the debate, and let me emphasize the word DEBATE, not fight. I don't want to get anybody pissed at me. Today we went up and did Rattlesnake, the trail had looked like it needed winter to come and clean it up but one thing stuck out to me and Demon. Right after the squeeze some people in their comp, buggies had gone up and totally ripped up the trail, Yes I do know that they were in big vehicles because they ran the trail with us, they had gone up the closed section the week before. There were trees that had been ripped up and BIG boulders were moved from the tires spinning. Needless to say this was not accpetable and the first big storm we get the ground there is going to turn to mud and wash out a huge part of the trail. This is the kind of activities that get trails closed, Demon is almost positive that he is going to get a nasty letter from the BLM. Now there is no way that Demon or I would have been able to make it up, and this is the stuff that I was talking about when I started this thread. A couple of guys went up a trail that their rigs were too built for and tried to make it harder, and ended up ripping up the trail and the enviroment. I doubt that anybody on the board would do something like this but these guys were not novice wheelers and they knew that the area is being threatend to be closed. I guess that what I am trying to get at is that if you are going to do a trail that is easy for you DON'T try to make it hard by going off the trail. Common sense needs to be implemented and people need to realize what the trail is like and keep it that way. This happens on both ends of the spectrum, if somebody is underbuilt don't go around an obstacle if it means destroying vegetation. So lets hear it:D