The Great Compromise (Blazer build-up)

jsudar

The steering part of the K10 frame was almost as bad as the blazer's, otherwise I would have.

I am moving the steering box forward two inches to compensate for the extra wheelbase, so I am taking a different approach. The frame will be boxed and the steering gear will actually be mounted on four 1 3/8" dowels that will be welded into the both sides of the frame. The second frame crossmember will be rebuilt and repositioned to sit in the middle of the dowels. It's hard to explain, but I'll get pics up when I do it.

jsudar

I got the 56's and 63's all swapped in just in time for EJS. The body roll is a bit excessive, but I did drive it from Utah Valley to Moab and didn't die, so it's still pretty road worthy. I'm thinking a panhard in front and anti-roll bar in the rear and I should be good.

The springs flexed great and I'm getting closer to that "Cadillac ride" I'm after, but the steering sucks. A mismatched pitman arm and hi steer arm didn't give me full steering travel and both my diffs are welded, so it tended not to go where I wanted it to.

I'm in the process of putting a Detroit in the rear and saving up for a selectable locker for the front, so that should take care of a lot of the problem. I'll try to get some pics of the finished steering box install a bit later.

Attachments

• IMG_2505.jpg
    IMG_2505.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 16
Last edited: