The Ham Radio Thread

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Anyone else have a digital radio yet?

I have been avoiding them due to the different digital voice standards. I have casually read a few online comparisons of C4FM, GMSK (D-Star) and 4FSK (DMR), and each seems to have its plusses and minuses. At this point, I still feel like it's 1980 and the whole Betamax-verses-VHS war has not yet been decided. Once a clear victor has been determined, I might then consider spending money on a digital radio.

sixstringsteve

I know some of you are running handhelds in your car. I decided to get a cheap mag mount antenna for my handhelds in the airstream. For $25, it's a great way to get a much better signal to a handheld. You could do this with a house or with a car too.

[video=youtube_share;U_EmsZIHncU]https://youtu.be/U_EmsZIHncU[/video]

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I just stumbled on an Icom IC207H. It's mine now. Wouldn't happen to be anyone around has a programming cable and software?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
(video clip)

Yes, "full quieting" means your signal goes completely quiet when you aren't actually speaking. In other words, no background hiss/static/noise/etc.

I just stumbled on an Icom IC207H. It's mine now. Wouldn't happen to be anyone around has a programming cable and software?

Word on the street is that's a great radio. They say it's a bitch to program, but it's a reliable unit.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I finally pulled the trigger on a Larsen NMO 2/70b antenna and mounting bracket with cable. I am really struggling with which mobile unit to get. I am looking at the ICOM 5100A, and the Kenwood TM D710GA. The ICOM looks really neat, has DSTAR, and awesome GPS repeater functions, while the Kenwood has APRS and is an analog unit.

I am leaning toward the Kenwood at this point as Gigaparts has if for $549 right now, and I know others that have this unit and can teach me how to use it. Any input from anyone on these? Anyone have the ICOM?

Link to Kenwood
https://www.gigaparts.com/kenwood-tm-d710g.html

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
So, I installed my new antenna today, and am curious what the best way is to test it. I am still running my HT, but wanted to know if there is a reliable way to test the range and clarity?

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
So, I installed my new antenna today, and am curious what the best way is to test it. I am still running my HT, but wanted to know if there is a reliable way to test the range and clarity?

I'm your huckleberry. Shall we try to hit a repeater at, say Ensign Peak? Maybe I'll text you.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
No problem, happy to help. :)

For those of you who missed it, Dave and I ended up using the 146.620 repeater on Farnsworth Peak. I underestimated the performance of his Baofeng HT, because I thought this repeater might be too far from his location to offer effective communication. I was very wrong. His nice new antenna let him put out a beautiful signal, even with only 4w of power and while parked inside his garage. We had a nice chat, and even had another friendly ham from Taylorsville break in to give us both a proper signal report.

Last edited:

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
No problem, happy to help. :)

For those of you who missed it, Dave and I ended up using the 146.620 repeater on Farnsworth Peak. I underestimated the performance of his Baofeng HT, because I thought this repeater might be too far from his location to offer effective communication. I was very wrong. His nice new antenna let him put out a beautiful signal, even with only 4w of power and while parked inside his garage. We had a nice chat, and even had another friendly ham from Taylorsville break in to give us both a proper signal report.

Check out this thread on Expedition Utah. I think you can offer some insight...:)
http://www.expeditionutah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5718

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
So while up on scout camp a couple weekends ago one of the two set screws rattled out of the base of my NMO 2/70 antenna. I know they had been on there really tight when I first got them because I cinched them down but when I got home I realized the antenna was leaning to the side and checked it and I was able to pull the mast out easily. I'm not sure how I didn't lose it on the freeway but it somehow made it all the way home. I'll be adding a little lock tight to them when I re install it.

The bigger question is where can I find a replacement lock screw? Is this something that a big box store will have? Ace? I'm heading to Colorado Monday and don't know that I've got time to order one online.

DAA

Probably find it at Lowes in the drawers in the hardware section. Also, if you don't find precisely exactly that grub screw, anything with that thread ought to work in a pinch.

Have seen that screw come loose twice on the GTT. Think it must be pretty common. Will have to make a note to just keep a couple of them onboard when I get around to mounting a mobile unit in the Jeep.

- DAA