The Ham Radio Thread

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
sixstringsteve, this post is primarily for you.

146.700 -- 127.3 Hz (IRLP 3300)
146.940 -- 110.9 Hz (IRLP 3892)
147.300 -- 110.9 Hz (IRLP 3924)

I just went to the IRLP status page to check on each of these machines. The top one has been idle for over 42 days, which means either it sees very little use or maybe has intermittent issues. The middle one has only been idle for 2 days, so at least we know it has been used lately. The bottom one seems to be offline entirely and registers as Not Found.

Based on all that, I'm going to recommend you only try hitting the 146.940 repeater.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I was able to check in to the net 146.760 this Wednesday but evidently not too strong a signal. I had my J pole clamped into a vice in the garage and the SWR was above 2.0. My mag mount was reading above 1.5 so I have some matching work to do. I took a sample test and only got 14 right which surprised me as I got my license back when I was 62 (86 now) when they required code also. I was an electronics tech in the Navy and have been fiddling with electronic and TV gear (vacuum tubes) for years. I am also going to learn code again just for the fun of it. Still have my old bug so now I have to get a good radio and transmitter.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
I got my vanity call sign, now it's easier for me to remember...:)

Anyone ever play around on the Echolink app on your phone? I downloaded it, but haven't played with it much since i'm at work. Wanted to see if there is an expert here to see what's up...

sixstringsteve

I've chatted on it before. I'm far from an expert though. I just looked up the repeater I wanted to talk on, and I used it like a regular radio.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I got my vanity call sign, now it's easier for me to remember...:)

Sure, it's easier for you. But what about the rest of us, who don't have your three initials memorized? :p

Anyone ever play around on the Echolink app on your phone?

I have also downloaded it and used it a few times. It can be a bit finicky, especially if your phone's internet connection is less than rock solid. When you connect, the software will announce "W7DMW connected" on the repeater output. This means everybody who is monitoring hears it, but you do not. If you're lucky, there will be traffic and your phone will begin picking it up, letting you know everything is working as intended. If the repeater is quiet, you're kinda in the dark and just need to try calling out for a response.

It is common to hear the connection announcement followed quickly by a disconnection announcement, where the operator never actually says anything. I've often thought that perhaps the operator didn't know they were properly connected. Because of this possibility, myself (and a few others) will usually try to immediately call out to someone who patches in via Echolink if there is no conversation going on when they connect.

Long story short, try it out. :)

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Sure, it's easier for you. But what about the rest of us, who don't have your three initials memorized? :p

I have also downloaded it and used it a few times. It can be a bit finicky, especially if your phone's internet connection is less than rock solid. When you connect, the software will announce "W7DMW connected" on the repeater output. This means everybody who is monitoring hears it, but you do not. If you're lucky, there will be traffic and your phone will begin picking it up, letting you know everything is working as intended. If the repeater is quiet, you're kinda in the dark and just need to try calling out for a response.

It is common to hear the connection announcement followed quickly by a disconnection announcement, where the operator never actually says anything. I've often thought that perhaps the operator didn't know they were properly connected. Because of this possibility, myself (and a few others) will usually try to immediately call out to someone who patches in via Echolink if there is no conversation going on when they connect.

Long story short, try it out. :)

I'll give it a try. I logged in but quickly logged off a couple repeaters today. Glad you told me about the announcement so I won't make a fool of myself again.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Glad you told me about the announcement so I won't make a fool of myself again.

Don't take it that way. This is just how EchoLink works. If you don't experiment with it, you'll never become comfortable with it. The good news is, everybody who has ever used EchoLink has been there, too... so we all understand completely. I promise nobody will judge you or laugh at you while you figure out how to make it work.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
Don't take it that way. This is just how EchoLink works. If you don't experiment with it, you'll never become comfortable with it. The good news is, everybody who has ever used EchoLink has been there, too... so we all understand completely. I promise nobody will judge you or laugh at you while you figure out how to make it work.

Lol, thanks! I'll give it a try tonight. Does anyone know if it'll run in the background, or does the app have to be open and on screen to monitor it?

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
Rumor has it there is a guy in Utah County that makes a 'Ham in a Can' using ammo style boxes.typically find him at survivalist conventions, etc. I have very little info on him, and we (Salt Lake Off-Road Expo) are trying to get a hold of him. We got his card and talked to him last year, but can't find our info on him. Does anybody have a clue who I might be talking about???

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Rumor has it there is a guy in Utah County that makes a 'Ham in a Can' using ammo style boxes.typically find him at survivalist conventions, etc. I have very little info on him, and we (Salt Lake Off-Road Expo) are trying to get a hold of him. We got his card and talked to him last year, but can't find our info on him. Does anybody have a clue who I might be talking about???

I'll ask around and see if I can help you figure out who it is.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I have been told the person you seek is John W Jacobs (W7DBO) of Lehi. He has a web site at CommsToGo.com with photos so you can verify this is the right guy/equipment.

HTH

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

I'm trying to decide on a dual band omnidirectional antenna and mount for the Airstream. I don't fully understand ground planes, and I'd love some advice.

I'd rather not drill a hole in the middle of my airstream roof, so I'll need some kind of bracket/mount. One of my concerns is low bridges. I don't want to damage the Airstream (or the antenna) if I whack it on something. Which mounts would work well? I suppose I could silicone a metal plate to the roof and use a mag mount there? I've been really happy with my larsen dual band antenna on the van, and I'd be fine running it on the airstream as well, provided I can get a good ground plane.

I'll be running the coax down the fridge vent (just like I did for my solar) into the interior of the Airstream, where I'll plug it into my Kenwood D72 HT.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
One of my concerns is low bridges. I don't want to damage the Airstream (or the antenna) if I whack it on something.

It's funny you would bring this up. Just a couple days ago, I was talking with another ham who wants to put a transceiver in his own trailer. He, too, was worried about impacts while towing it. As we discussed it, he realized (a) he only uses his trailer a few times each year, and (b) he would only ever use a transceiver in it while he's actually using the trailer. As a result, he decided a mag mount would be a good idea.

I've been really happy with my larsen dual band antenna on the van, and I'd be fine running it on the airstream as well, provided I can get a good ground plane.

Don't forget: unlike a 1/4-wave or 5/8-wave antenna, the 1/2-wave design of the NMO2/70B does not require a ground plane for proper operation. You could attach some sort of bracket and NMO mount to the roof of your trailer, them simply screw the antenna on to it when you're parked. (It might be a good idea to also buy a rain cap to put on the mount when you remove the antenna from it.)

BTW: it was good to chat with you on the Sinbad system yesterday. Earlier in the afternoon, I had a brief QSO on the system with a guy who was driving into Panguitch. I was a bit surprised, as I didn't think coverage extended down that far. He told me the machine at Monroe Peak is at 11,000+ feet, which still gave him an okay signal even while entering Panguitch itself. Not bad.