The new anchor on Constrictor

Seth

These go to 11
Way to be positive. :sick:

Oh I'm positive. Positive we have a lot of work ahead of us if the snakes are to remain open. It's no joke. They are not even on the inventory for the travel plan. Which means they are not even in the running for remaining open right now. I for one am just astonished there has not been an overwhelming uproar to save these trails. What are you going to do when they close? When Little Moab closes?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but unless something drastic happens with the level of involvement (or lack there of) its a done deal.

NE_Utah

I would hate to see those trails closed and I live 3.5 hours away. But when people start anything about them it turns into a heated arguement. Maybe its time for a big spit shine and then maybe take the BLm out there to see how it looks. I have everyother Saturday off and I can come out to help if it is on my day off.

Out here we are trying to get a clean up going for the old comp site in Vernal. It will be posted when it goes.

NE_Utah

HHHHMMMMMMMMMMMMM Squeeky wheel get oil. I have a guy that does right of ways for a oil company. He has a great repore with the BLM. Maybe he can find something out. he deals with that kind of stuff everyday. I know he is on the phone with the SLC office and the main BLM office I will call him today to see what strings he can pull.

Ford Prefect

I have a thought for you.

The area in general has trails going ALL OVER THE PLACE, so no surprise that they are wanting it closed.

What I have seen work many times in Colorado is just going in there and defining the trail. Many of the "play" areas in Colorado threatened with closure have been cabled off so that you have to say only on the trail, and that has been a huge help. In just a few years the rest of the area is growing back, and people are still able to enjoy the area.

Basically they take a 6" diameter pipe run about six feet into the ground, with four feet above ground. Then they ran two levels of cable through it, just like an fence.

It worked really good, and has been really nice to get out on those tails again when they were closed and now slowly being re-opened.

I can find you links to some picts if you want to see what I mean.

Brian

EDIT: Link added

Specifically look at the area where they are eating lunch, and when they are coming back up the hills you can see what I am talking about in pretty good detail. This trail, Metberry Gulch, along with two others, was closed by a fire about six years ago, and we were told it would never be reopened, they just opened this year.

http://www.colorado4x4.org/vbb/showthread.php?t=121394

Last edited:

Meat_

Banned
The problem with that idea on this trail is that it's exact ownership is unknown. Parts of the trail are potentially on BLM and parts are potentially on a mine claim. So it is hard to get permission to do anything. Also the ground isn't conducive for planting 6" pipes ;)

I did however find a mine claim marker the other day that should put ALL of Constrictor on a claim, but the road in may still be BLM. I will be looking into the claim's ownership after I get caught up on my U4WDA duties.

Ford Prefect

with no doubt it would be hard to sink those things into the ground here in Utah, but it might be possible. Anyhow, it might smooth things over with the BLM.

Cheers...