The next big ride - when and where?

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I wanted to start a thread to toss out ideas for the next big ride. I've missed the last couple (meaning I've never made one yet!) and wanted to get things rolling for another trip before it gets too cold. I'd say we have around three weeks max to make this happen, or we're looking at the potential for winter conditions.

I just got back from Jeeping in Moab a couple hours ago and can't wait to get the DR-Z down there on the trails. I'm suggesting Moab as the destination, partly because it's close enough to Greg and he seems to be the glue keeping the Enduro thing going. Also, it's just such a darn fun place to be! I will need someone experienced to show me where to go because I only know Moab from a Jeeper's perspective.

We could carpool and camp to keep things cheap.

Thoughts?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'm game, Moab sounds great. There are plenty of options for rides down there and this time of year in Moab is perfect!

I'd be game for a 3 day weekend, Fri, Sat & Sunday? We could do a 1/2 day Friday ride, full day Sat and 1/2 day on Sunday. My weekends are decently open for the rest of October, so set a date and I'll be there.

Camping sounds good, as long as it's in a campground with decent showers and bathrooms.

Caleb

I posted a 5MOH invite for Oct 22-25. If you guy's are interested :)
I may be dumb and a glutton for punishment...but I'm not THAT dumb :D

I'd love to do another ride this year down there but I doubt I'll be able to pull anything off since we have our first Africa trip coming up.

rholbrook

I may be dumb and a glutton for punishment...but I'm not THAT dumb :D

I'd love to do another ride this year down there but I doubt I'll be able to pull anything off since we have our first Africa trip coming up.

Lets see Caleb....Die in the clutches of a wild African animal or die on a motorcyle. The obituary would read so much cooler if you died by a wild animal. I dubs your CRFX, I want to give it to Corbin, he likes Hondas.

Depending on the son's football schecule for the playoffs, I may be in.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
I should probably stick around for my kids on Halloween, and I have a thing on Nov 6th. But, I am free this upcoming weekend, Oct 22-24th, which is Friday thru Monday. Any takers?

Jared

rholbrook

I'm out this weekend, football. St George is a better ride. You can do 3 states in less than 80 miles. It includes desert, sandstone, dunes and slot canyons just wide enough for your handlebars to go through.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
My two days of riding in St. George with no idea where to ride totally sucked. Just miles and miles of endless, small desert hills. I would love to see what trails Dixie has to offer. You ought to plan/host a ride a little later into the winter months when it's too darn cold to ride up north.

Jared

Greg

Admin
I may be dumb and a glutton for punishment...but I'm not THAT dumb :D.

:rofl: For sure...

I should probably stick around for my kids on Halloween, and I have a thing on Nov 6th. But, I am free this upcoming weekend, Oct 22-24th, which is Friday thru Monday. Any takers?

Jared

Let's do it. If you want to stay thru Monday, I will see about taking it off as well. But 2 full days of big rides in Moab can be pretty exhausting, Caleb and I learned that on our Moab ride.

I think we can find more than enough to occupy our time for a few days.

Are you still running a stock fuel tank? What kind of range do you have? That will be the determining factor to where & how long we ride. If it's just the 2 of us, I can probably let you siphon some fuel from my Super Tanker. 8 gallons of gas ought to be plenty for some day rides.

I'm out this weekend, football. St George is a better ride. You can do 3 states in less than 80 miles. It includes desert, sandstone, dunes and slot canyons just wide enough for your handlebars to go through.

Sounds like you know the St George trails pretty well, let's plan a Winter trip down that way!

Greg

Admin
I'm really considering bringing the new WRR, but the stock tank doesn't offer too many miles. I might have to see about getting an aftermarket tank before Friday... :ugh:

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Let's do it. If you want to stay thru Monday, I will see about taking it off as well. But 2 full days of big rides in Moab can be pretty exhausting, Caleb and I learned that on our Moab ride.

I don't think I can stay through Monday. I just took Thu-Fri off last week for a Moab trip and will be taking off this Friday as well. I must be going through some kind of awesome phase, going to Moab two weekends in a row!

Are you still running a stock fuel tank? What kind of range do you have?

I am still running the stock tank but the bike came with a used aftermarket 4'ish gallon tank. It's ugly but supposedly functional. I could put it on and try it out pretty quickly. As far as range... I haven't found that out yet! I have seen the fuel mileage of the DR-Z400 reported at about 40MPG on the highway from a few different sources, so I'd guess more like 30MPG off road if things aren't too tight and slow. I've probably got 100 miles tops with the stock tank, and 140 tops with the larger ghetto tank.

So as far as gear goes... what are the essentials? I've generally just gone on ATV rides up to 50'ish miles with very minimal tools and a lunch with water. As far as cargo space, I've got a Giant Loop bag for the rear plus a small backpack with water bladder.

I'm already getting stoked! Let's get a couple more guys on board!

Jared

Greg

Admin
I don't think I can stay through Monday. I just took Thu-Fri off last week for a Moab trip and will be taking off this Friday as well. I must be going through some kind of awesome phase, going to Moab two weekends in a row!

Ok, Fri-Sun sounds great to me, that shouldn't be a problem.

I am still running the stock tank but the bike came with a used aftermarket 4'ish gallon tank. It's ugly but supposedly functional. I could put it on and try it out pretty quickly. As far as range... I haven't found that out yet! I have seen the fuel mileage of the DR-Z400 reported at about 40MPG on the highway from a few different sources, so I'd guess more like 30MPG off road if things aren't too tight and slow. I've probably got 100 miles tops with the stock tank, and 140 tops with the larger ghetto tank.

So as far as gear goes... what are the essentials? I've generally just gone on ATV rides up to 50'ish miles with very minimal tools and a lunch with water. As far as cargo space, I've got a Giant Loop bag for the rear plus a small backpack with water bladder.

I'm already getting stoked! Let's get a couple more guys on board!

Jared

I think 140 miles is the bare minimum if you really want to see the Moab backcountry. I'd put on that 4 gallon tank and go for it! I wouldn't be surprised if you got closer to 160 miles out of 4 gallons, most of the riding should be at a decent speed and not full throttle, so MPG's shouldn't be too bad.

Gear... you've got the basics. Water, food, tools... stuff to fix a flat tire is good, perhaps even a spare tube. Good riding gear of course, helmet, boots & gloves at the least. A compression suit isn't a bad idea. A light-weight and easy to pack jacket would be a good idea, in case there's any weather.

I wouldn't bother with the Giant Loop, at least not for day rides. The backpack should cover the essentials.

Greg

Admin
Hey what trails are you going to run on friday/saturday? Do we need to be street legal? We might come with you guys and run 5MOH sunday/monday:)

Being plated would almost be a requirement, most of what I have in mind will involve paved roads.

I'm not sure what we'll ride, it really depends on time. Setting aside a day for doing an in & out to the White Rim would be fun. Or riding out to Lockhart Basin and back. Or Onion Creek to the La Sals.... or Dome Plateau... or.... you get the idea!

The biggest question is do we have enough fuel!?

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.

Jared

Hey Jared, My last trip on my drz400e took me 120 miles through af canyon, big cottonwood canyon, I15, and I215. I got a trip average MPG of 50! That's good for 130 miles max on the stock tank and 180 max on most of the aftermarket tanks.

Did I miss the final date for this ride? If it's not in stone, I'd commit to either the weekends of november 6 or 13.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Hey Jared, My last trip on my drz400e took me 120 miles through af canyon, big cottonwood canyon, I15, and I215. I got a trip average MPG of 50! That's good for 130 miles max on the stock tank and 180 max on most of the aftermarket tanks.

Thanks much for the info!

Did I miss the final date for this ride? If it's not in stone, I'd commit to either the weekends of november 6 or 13.

It's quickly becoming set in stone for this coming weekend... October 22-24th. Can you swing it on short notice? It would be fun to have 3-5 of us!

Jared

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
I'd like to, but I've got about 30 commitments this weekend. Like I said before, I'd be up for the two weekends I posted about. Or if that's out we could hit something a little closer to home. I'd like to get as much riding in before the snow flies as I can.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
This is getting close! I spent all last night going over the bike. I changed all the fluids, lubed everything I could think of, looked for loose bolts, etc. I also installed the skidplate, and the IMS 4 gallon tank which came with the bike. The tank looked just awful... having started as white/natural and then being spray painted black. Much of the black was scratched off. I couldn't handle ruining the good looks of the bike, so I decided to give the tank an overhaul.

I wet sanded it down with 320 grit, removing most of the remaining black paint and smoothing many of the smaller scratches. Then I used two cans of Krylon Fusion paint to lay on six coats of close-enough-to Suzuki Yellow. The result looks a bit plain compared to the graphics kit it had on the stock tank, but at least it doesn't look like crap! I also re-sealed the petcock valve with RTV silicone, because the old cork gasket looked like a WWII era part.

Before...
DSCN0025.jpg

And here is how it currently sits... it's a brighter yellow than my cell phone makes it look, and the bike needs a good wash!
utf-8BRFJaMDEuanBn.jpg

Jared

Last edited: