The next big ride - when and where?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Looks good Jared! Good call on the skid plate, you'll need it. :D That tank is big, nice work on the tank re-furb.

I spent the afternoon working on the WRR as well, it got some knobbies and the EFI Programmer got installed for a little more power. A Safari 3.5 gallon tank should be here tomorrow, extending my range as well. I'm hoping that between the knobbies, programmer and bigger tank, I'll have a great Moab-ready dual sport.

Where do you want to stay? Slickrock CG is OK, kind of trashy. There's a place just South of City Market, behind the Texaco gas station, that is pretty nice. I'd like to stay there, but can't recall the name of the place for some reason!

And when are you coming down, Friday morning? What time do you think you will make it into Moab? I'm curious, so we can make a plan on where/what to ride.

Seems like the sun is going down around 6:15 or so these days, so we'll have to plan accordingly.

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
So you are bringing the WRR? I figured you'd bring the 250F, but I'm sure the newness of the 250R is eating at you! I'm almost as excited to see that thing in action as you are. I'll be stopping at Rocky Mountain ATV on the way down to pick up a some new grips, a smaller front sprocket, and clutch kit. Need me to pick anything up for you there? I keep thinking I can feel my clutch slip and want to be prepared just in case. I'm probably just being paranoid.

The place you are thinking of is Canyonlands Campground. I agree with you about Slickrock... I took a three dollar shower there last Saturday and it was kind of gross. Canyonlands charges $25 for a tent site, and $58 for a small cabin. Slickrock, by comparison, charges $29 for a two-tent site and $46 for a cabin. If we're going for a cabin, I'd say let's brave the iffy showers and go for Slickrock. If we're tenting it, let's go Canyonlands.

I'm leaving early Friday morning, and can leave as early as necessary to accommodate trail plans. I'm about 4.5 hours away. Being there by noon is totally reasonable, there by 10:30AM is doable.

You mention sundown as being a deadline for us. I am fine with being in the dark if I have a good light. But, as I've mentioned before, the light on my bike is pretty marginal. I might be spending tomorrow night fabbing up a cheap dual-lamp setup using rubber-housing semi-truck area lights.

Jared

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So you are bringing the WRR? I figured you'd bring the 250F, but I'm sure the newness of the 250R is eating at you! I'm almost as excited to see that thing in action as you are. I'll be stopping at Rocky Mountain ATV on the way down to pick up a some new grips, a smaller front sprocket, and clutch kit. Need me to pick anything up for you there? I keep thinking I can feel my clutch slip and want to be prepared just in case. I'm probably just being paranoid.

The place you are thinking of is Canyonlands Campground. I agree with you about Slickrock... I took a three dollar shower there last Saturday and it was kind of gross. Canyonlands charges $25 for a tent site, and $58 for a small cabin. Slickrock, by comparison, charges $29 for a two-tent site and $46 for a cabin. If we're going for a cabin, I'd say let's brave the iffy showers and go for Slickrock. If we're tenting it, let's go Canyonlands.

I'm leaving early Friday morning, and can leave as early as necessary to accommodate trail plans. I'm about 4.5 hours away. Being there by noon is totally reasonable, there by 10:30AM is doable.

You mention sundown as being a deadline for us. I am fine with being in the dark if I have a good light. But, as I've mentioned before, the light on my bike is pretty marginal. I might be spending tomorrow night fabbing up a cheap dual-lamp setup using rubber-housing semi-truck area lights.

Jared

Yeah, I'll be on the WRR, as long as the fuel tank gets here in time. I think it's a good all-around dual sport, I'm excited to see how well it works in Moab.

I don't think I need anything from Rocky Mountain ATV, but thanks for the offer!

Canyonlands CG! That's the one... I've never stayed there, but I've used their nice showers. I'm fine with tent camping at Canyonlands, I'll probably be driving the FZJ with the roof top tent, which is where I'll sleep. If that works for you, lets plan on that. Can we squeeze 2 vehicles into one campsite? Keep it cheap and easy. You want to make the reservations or should we just show up?

Lets meet up at Canyonlands at whatever time you're comfortable with, don't push yourself to get there early. What time would you like to meet?

Sundown was just mentioned simply to keep it in mind. It will get decently cool in the evenings, so a jacket will be good. The WRR has a great headlight, so I'm alright with riding in the dark. :D

Jared

Formerly DeadEye J
Tent site at Canyonlands it is then. I think we can squeeze two vehicles in, if not I can find a place to ditch the truck most likely. I'll be in a more "budget conscious" tent on the ground. We can just show up I'm sure.

Noon works for me. That puts me hitting the road at 7am with time for a stop at RMATV. I'm PM'ing you my number... call or text if you need anything. Otherwise I'll see you at noon at Canyonlands Campground, ready for action!

Jared

Caleb

It may be too late now but you amy want to double check what time RMATV opens. I was thinking it was 9, but may be 8.

I'm jealous I can't make this ride. It should be fun. :cool:

Caleb

Where is rocky mountain atv located? Do they do local pickup?
They're down in Payson and yes, they have a showroom floor so you can pickup there. Although, if the item(s) you are buying are $100 or more, shipping is free and it gets to us the next day.