The OMG toy hauler RV trailer build

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Well today I bought a 2005 40 foot 5th wheel flatbed trailer (for 2000.00 dollars :D ) I was looking for a 20ish foot gooseneck so I could tow both rockcrawlers and the RV (doubles) but now im thinking I should sell my RV (24 foot ultralight) and buy a slide in camper to put on the front of the trailer and still have enough room for both rockcrawlers on the same trailer. Is anyone running something like this? Anyone want to buy a nice RV cheap? :D

Last edited:

red

i know some people are running shorter trailers with a camper and room for their crawler/dune buggy but this would be the 1st dual buggy trailer with camper i've seen.

gripguru

Nate Davidson
I thought pretty seriously about doing this - here is some examples that I have collected. Good luck with the doubles too. What towrig do you have and have you estimated full weight with camper and two rigs?

Attachments

• matt3.jpg
    matt3.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 219
  • matt2.jpg
    matt2.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 142
  • matt.jpg
    matt.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 138

Bart

I have a 26 foot gooseneck that barely fits two rigs. You would need to add at least 8 feet to that for a camper, so a minimum of 34 feet of deck space. Figure the trailer is 4000 lbs, each rig and gear is 5000. That's almost 15,000 lbs, then add a camper, say 2000 for a light one. Yikes, that's 17,000 lbs.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Yep, alot of things to consider....my tow rig is an 07 duramax. the wifes rig weighs in at 3800 pounds my rig now with the new chassis is around 2800 pounds, the guy I got the trailer from said it only weighed around 2000 pounds now it still needs a deck (wood) put on it so maybe 3000 total for the trailer? I still need to put both rigs together and take some mesurements but im thinking I can get both rigs on 26-28 feet of the trailer but I think the deck on the trailer is only 34 feet then it has a 8x8 upperdeck. So it will be damn close and heavy. for the price I paid for the trailer I figured I couldnt go wrong. I was going to shorten it and then tow the RV but I would really like to get away from towing doubles. So I think im ok with the total weight it should be around 10,000 for the rigs and trailer....hummm I need to do some weighing and measuring for sure..

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Oh ya the next problem is my tow rig has 6 inchs of lift and 35 inch tires.. its 62 inch's to the top of the bed. Any of you guys running a lift and 5th wheel/gooseneck. Anyway to get some seperation between the trailer and truck without putting a lift on the trailer?

Tee

Tanned Fat Looks Better!
Oh ya the next problem is my tow rig has 6 inchs of lift and 35 inch tires.. its 62 inch's to the top of the bed. Any of you guys running a lift and 5th wheel/gooseneck. Anyway to get some seperation between the trailer and truck without putting a lift on the trailer?

That does pose a problem with a Gooseneck trailer. For stability you want both the trailer and truck fairly low to the ground.

I think your options are lift the trailer --- lower the truck --- Flat or Hauler bed then shorten the gooseneck pin.

I love haulers!!!! want one on my dually! But they don't work with slide in campers:mad:

I've towed doubles before. Not a fun time:eek: Thats why I have a slide in now.

Lifting the trailer will raise your center of gravity, but you already know that and know how bad that can be....

Also, with a trailer that long and an overall weight as high as you will be. I only have one word to say....

DUALLY

Last edited: