The OMG toy hauler RV trailer build

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Well, I looked into the popup but its just not what I want, there are only a few models with showers and true toilets most have porta pottys. I want to be totally comfortable when i'm out. They make a hybrid with solid walls that lift up to create a full height camper but none in the 8x8 footprint range, so back to the drawing board.
I contacted TJ's trailers in Ogden and they said they would build me what I want on the front, so I am drawing it up and faxing it to them for a quote, we will see what happens with that.

I like your idea Bart about just setting an old fifth wheel on the frame and mounting it down, it might take forever to find the right one though, I need one with no more than 8 feet from the step up part of the trailer. I have been in close contact with several of the bigger RV salvage yards in Phoenix and LA, they know what I am looking for. The trailer I bought was a 5th wheel trailer that had caught on fire and burnt the roof off so it already has the mounts for storage tanks, propane, etc.
Before I bought it I contacted the manufacturer of the RV for the same reason that meat had issues with, I was concerned with the frame and axles being modified to do what I want it for, they gave me the number of the frame manufacturer (the RV company has all the frames built by a different company) I told the guy what year, make and model the RV was, he looked it up in their book and told me what size and type of steel they made it out of. After explaining to him what I wanted to do with it he assured me it would be fine for that. He said they also build flatbeds from the same basic frame and axles that other company's put there own name on. Here is a link to what the RV was before, http://www.keystone-bigsky.com/?page=detail&year=2008&model=360REQ you can see from the spec page it was a pretty heavy trailer to begin with the total weight they say it could be loaded was over 15000 pounds so I don't think I will have any issues with it. I will be putting some angle reinforcement on the outer edges anyway, then putting a good solid deck on it. The width of the frame rails on the trailer is right at 6 feet so my tires should ride on the rails for the most part......hey it was only a thousand bucks anyway right ;)

smashmetal

Im kinda in the same boat, wife has to have a place to sleep, bathroom, clean up. I gotta have my cargo room. It's awfully difficult to find a trailer that can support 3000-6000 Lbs, have living space and be under 40' long.

have you seen these yet.............

Little getto but it would probably work well
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=2834387&cat=436&lpid=4

This would be perfect, Im suprised it's not sold yet! only reason I havent yet is because I need atleast 16' of deck or cargo area. Deffinetly well put together unit!
http://www.ksl.com/?nid=218&ad=2841368&cat=436&lpid=3

Bucking Bronco

The first one you posted was on here a while back for sale for like 9000 if I remember correctly.

IMO well worth the $6000.00 when just the gooseneck will run you 6K without the camper, Though I would add some paneling to improve its looks

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Well I thought I would revive this thread, I have done a little work to the trailer. Here are some pic's of what I have done recently, still looking for the company to build my living quarters on the front. With the 6 foot beaver I have a total of 34 feet of lower deck space, if I build 8 feet of lower living quarters this leaves me 26 feet of trailer for both rigs ( I only "need" 25 feet) I have decided to add a third axle just to make sure I dont have any issues there. More pics to come...

Attachments

• downsized_1122080950.jpg
    downsized_1122080950.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 42
  • downsized_1122080950a.jpg
    downsized_1122080950a.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

rollover

D & A Truck, Superior Truck Body or H & K/Tesco Williams can build your box to your specs. Than build the layout inside the way you want.

BEAR

Ive thought long and hard about what the best way to do this type of trailer. All my ideas have been covered in this thread already except one idea that being by an old toyota uhaul and take the box off and put it on your trailer. Youll have to make the inside but then it will be how you want. Im sure you can find one for cheap then sell the truck after. Just and idea.

Bucking Bronco

Ok I have thought about this for a while and the dilemma is if you run vehicle registered OHV only, you have to pack up camp to trailer your rig to trails. So here goes my Idea.

28' gooseneck
travel trailer like one below. This trailer has a 14' box and sleaps 6 (4 comfortably)

remove axle from travel trailer and cut off tongue
build supports and add wheels similar to what a roll off dumpster would have

this would allow you to drop the travel trailer at camp and still have full use of a 28' gooseneck.

I have also considered adding jacks like a truck camper would have then you would just jack it up and back the gooseneck in and out from under it.

Probably just easier to buy a 32' trailer and just drive the trailer and the buggy on and off. I just think this idea would be much cooler.

Attachments

• 100_1747.jpg
    100_1747.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 3

LT.

Spureitt had the same problem that you are facing. At first I thought that his solution was a little strange and I did not like it at first but, it serves him well and is worth looking into. He used a 27' (I think) Big Tex flatbed goose neck trailer and bought it with a flat deck over the goose neck hitch. Then he bought a used pop up tent trailer and placed it on the flat deck that is over the goose neck. He now has a "condo" ontop of the trailer. He is also able to use all 27 feet of his flat bed trailer. He does have to break down camp (if) he uses his trailer. However, I have yet to see him break camp unless he is headed home. If you are curious as to how he did it he is a member here on this forum. Give him a PM and see what it is that he did.

LT.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Ive thought long and hard about what the best way to do this type of trailer. All my ideas have been covered in this thread already except one idea that being by an old toyota uhaul and take the box off and put it on your trailer. Youll have to make the inside but then it will be how you want. Im sure you can find one for cheap then sell the truck after. Just and idea.

This is something I looked into a little bit, Problem with my setup is I have 8x8feet of upper deck space and 8x8 feet of lower deck space, the upper deck for a bed and possibly the cabinets from the "kitchen area" of the lower deck the uhaul boxes from the small toyota ones are 10 feet and dont even come close to having an 8 foot area above the cab so it would need to be shortened and the top would need to be lengthened. It is the closest thing I have found yet to being able to just "bolt down" a structure and use it as is but it still has to many complications to be worth it.....close but no cigar...

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Ok I have thought about this for a while and the dilemma is if you run vehicle registered OHV only, you have to pack up camp to trailer your rig to trails. So here goes my Idea.

28' gooseneck
travel trailer like one below. This trailer has a 14' box and sleaps 6 (4 comfortably)

remove axle from travel trailer and cut off tongue
build supports and add wheels similar to what a roll off dumpster would have

this would allow you to drop the travel trailer at camp and still have full use of a 28' gooseneck.

I have also considered adding jacks like a truck camper would have then you would just jack it up and back the gooseneck in and out from under it.

Probably just easier to buy a 32' trailer and just drive the trailer and the buggy on and off. I just think this idea would be much cooler.

This is an interesting idea but for me it wont work, I only have a total of 34 feet of lower deck space and need to haul 2 rigs and the "trailer" on there. I am really trying to use that upper deck for sleeping space and have a small 8x8 area for cooking and showering on the lower deck. I am going to measure out the shower and cooking areas today and see what is going to fit where.

1\4elliptic toy

shenanigans!
Spureitt had the same problem that you are facing. At first I thought that his solution was a little strange and I did not like it at first but, it serves him well and is worth looking into. He used a 27' (I think) Big Tex flatbed goose neck trailer and bought it with a flat deck over the goose neck hitch. Then he bought a used pop up tent trailer and placed it on the flat deck that is over the goose neck. He now has a "condo" ontop of the trailer. He is also able to use all 27 feet of his flat bed trailer. He does have to break down camp (if) he uses his trailer. However, I have yet to see him break camp unless he is headed home. If you are curious as to how he did it he is a member here on this forum. Give him a PM and see what it is that he did.

LT.

This was (still is) and idea depending on overall cost of the "camper" part of my trailer, The only real issue I have with this is the wind and bad weather, the bathroom area of the smaller tent trailers are not that great from the ones we have looked at. It is still one thing we are looking into though..

rock4fun

This was (still is) and idea depending on overall cost of the "camper" part of my trailer, The only real issue I have with this is the wind and bad weather, the bathroom area of the smaller tent trailers are not that great from the ones we have looked at. It is still one thing we are looking into though..
If you want you could fax us a drawing of what you want we could tell you if we could build it and give you a quote. We are a welding and fab shop in springville ut. We have built alot of trailers and modified them in all sorts of ways including turning a bumper pull into a fifth wheel and a semi trailer into fifth wheel our fax is 801-798-3496 or give us a call at 801-735-8537 ask for ben and tell him rick said to call him.

rock4fun

If you want you could fax us a drawing of what you want we could tell you if we could build it and give you a quote. We are a welding and fab shop in springville ut. We have built alot of trailers and modified them in all sorts of ways including turning a bumper pull into a fifth wheel and a semi trailer into fifth wheel our fax is 801-798-3496 or give us a call at 801-735-8537 ask for ben and tell him rick said to call him.
I forgot to tell you we have built a few inclosed trailers and we do alot of work on all sorts of trailers for insurance company's Really give us a call I think we can help you.