The PAVEMENT thread: Cars, Racing, Drives, Speed...

sixstringsteve

Possibly. I'm dying to take my car on the track. Wed is my guitar teaching day, so I'd have to cancel 9 lessons. I wish it were another night.

blznnp

Yea, that would suck to have to cancel them. Would be fun to head out to the track too. I wish they did more times then just once a month or so.

sixstringsteve

I need to find out if a roll bar is required for me on wide open wed. I want one anyway, so this might be the push I need.

blznnp

I am not sure if they would let me run on the track with only a lap belt, waiting to hear back from them. Might just have to head out there to at least watch. I want to get over there and watch the kart racing also and try to get my oldest interested in them, would love for him to do it.

sixstringsteve

i'll bet they'd let you autocross at least. you can also check the SCCA and NASA websites to see when they have race days for amateurs. That would probably fall on a weekend. I think it would be a riot.

sixstringsteve

I don't think I've ever driven this loop at once. I think it'd be a great drive.

[video=youtube;d6IRyI6QTY0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6IRyI6QTY0[/video]

audiofreak97

I guess I'll join in on the pavement thread. I've got a 1981 Datsun 280ZX that took most of my wheeling time and money. Picked it up from my Grandpa (original owner), I've wanted it since I was a little kid. It's a fun car to drive and gets the "I used to have a 240z/280z/280zx years ago" comments, which is always fun. Always brings a smile to my face when I hop in the drivers seat, even when I drove it through with winter with no heat.

Not long after I brought it home.
sidestock.jpg

After paint and body
IMG_2018.jpg

and a really poorly framed recent pic
20140516_174602.jpg

mods: tokico struts/springs, poly bushings, upgraded tension rods, upgraded sway bars, and cosmetic engine and body stuff.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I've been getting my daily driver TDI Jetta sorted out, still has a way to go but it now has dark tinted windows, BFGoodrich tires, new Hella headlights and fog lights and I swapped out the chrome grill and inserts for a black GTI parts and a flat black VW emblem. I have a TDI badge for the grill and will swap out the GTI badge eventually.

The car will also be getting a Malone Tune in the next few weeks which should give it close to 250 ft/lbs out torque... :freak: Should make it a blast to drive and still maintain good mileage.

Before-
20140310_164703_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

After-
20140808_142214_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

20140808_142226_Richtone%28HDR%29-L.jpg

It's a fun, comfortable car to drive and gets great mileage... I need to plan some big road trips soon, the car is up for it.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
I think it's time we do another fun drive. I haven't driven the nebo loop this year yet.

Oh, hey--I have a fuel efficient DD street car now! It's a 2003 Protege LX 5-speed, completely stock, but it does have a sunroof so it makes me happy (not to mention the 34 mpg, which blows away 14 mpg in the Jeep and 11 mpg in the Suburban).

Schedule permitting, perhaps I'll tag along on your next adventure.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
protoges are way cool.

Some other internet friends told me to just think of it as a FWD Miata. :D

2003 was the last year for the Protege; it was replaced in 2004 by the 3 (which I am not nearly so fond of). Here's a lame picture I recently took in my driveway:

protege.jpg

We need to get your 5.0 miata on the road!

Yeah, I know. :(

If I'm around, I'd love to go, if you'd have me.

What street car do you have? (I haven't memorized this entire thread, so forgive me if you've already said at some point.)

Troop92

What street car do you have? (I haven't memorized this entire thread, so forgive me if you've already said at some point.)

My DD is a 2003 Turbo S Beetle. Yeah, i know, bring on the laughter and comments...

Nebo drive sounds like a great time.

Last edited: