The reason a good cage is worth the $

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
I would call this a complete cage failure. That was a hard roll, but I can forsee taking rolls much harder than this. The uroc guys take hits harder than this all the time and never bend anything. The thread is worth a read, it failed on the laser cut graphics. FYI - keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all time. And no leg was amuputated in the filming of this movie. :ugh:

movie here

taken from:
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=569246

GETBENT

CRASH
rusted said:
I would call this a complete cage failure. That was a hard roll, but I can forsee taking rolls much harder than this. The uroc guys take hits harder than this all the time and never bend anything. The thread is worth a read, it failed on the laser cut graphics. FYI - keep your arms and legs inside the ride at all time. And no leg was amuputated in the filming of this movie. :ugh:

movie here

taken from:
http://jeepsunlimited.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=569246

WOW!! That is a GREAT reason to have a strong, well built cage. He was very lucky that he didn't get seriously hurt!

P

pokeyYJ

Those guys were bashing using the stock spreader bars for a roll cage, but I think that the bars that jeep uses are like 1.5 .250 wall tubing, that seems like it would be stong enough when you tie it into the floor or frame.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
pokeyYJ said:
Those guys were bashing using the stock spreader bars for a roll cage, but I think that the bars that jeep uses are like 1.5 .250 wall tubing, that seems like it would be stong enough when you tie it into the floor or frame.
Sorry bud, not even close. I cut my stock spreader bar in half when I took it out. It was no more than .120 wall. I think it was actually thinner than that. No way in hell it was .250 wall. I don't know of anyone who would use .250 wall in a cage, by the way. Especially anyone hoping to compete, that would nearly double the weight of a chassis!

Oh, and yes, there have been some bent cages in competitions, but I have yet to see one really fail. Shannon Campbell's A pillar buckled pretty bad once, but he remained protected inside. I'm still running the same basic cage I was running 3 years ago and it is not bent or dented. Most competitors build pretty stout stuff.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Just watched the video. That dude is an idiot, and is lucky he didn't lose that leg. You're way safer inside your rig than under it... When you start to go over like that don't panic. If he pushed the clutch in and let off the brake, he probably would have rolled back and saved the roll. He might have even had time to get to reverse if he kept his head. If you're already going over just hold onto the steering wheel with both hands, and wait till it's over. I know a lot of you guys already know this stuff, but I've rolled so many times now that I can tell you, it really works.

I'd really like to see what's under that roof. I would bet there is no triangulation built into that cage. It doesn't look like it failed at any of the welds or connection points, the structure just wasn't engineered well enough to be rigid assuming pinned connections. I bet there are either no spreaders other than the two outside visible ones, or any additional spreaders are straight front-to-back. A little engineering goes a long way in cage strength.

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
jrussell3176 said:
Never? Ever been to a comp?

Ok I take that part back. I have seen some cages get damaged. But not damaged on a fall like the one in the video. I was 30 feet from Skinny when he took that huge fall off that boulder and hit hard. His rig hit WAY harder than this guy and his cage was only mildy damaged, not crushed in like this guys.

I can think of another guy in Cedar last season that came out with a cage that leaned probably 6", but he also hit HARD. I have never seen a cage crush in like that.

Another example I can think of is Cody's cage that is a few inches shorter than it used to be when he went over on his top. I don't know what the hit was like that bent his cage, so it is hard to talk about that one.

There is obviously a difference between a budget cage and a cage built right. How many guys like this are out there with a false sense of security because they have a cage that can't properly take a hit like that. This is one area that it does not pay off to go cheap with.

Moral of the story, medium roll over in a good cage and you should be able to walk out of without question. A medium roll over in a poorly build cage could cost you your life.

S

sukaB

That guy's been wheelin with Spence before.... :eek:

I stopped the video and it almost looks like to me to be one of those dash speaker bolt in jobbers...........NO
Cross bar?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
rusted said:
There is obviously a difference between a budget cage and a cage built right. How many guys like this are out there with a false sense of security because they have a cage that can't properly take a hit like that. This is one area that it does not pay off to go cheap with.

more then you or I can imagine.

P

pokeyYJ

sukaB said:
That guy's been wheelin with Spence before.... :eek:

I stopped the video and it almost looks like to me to be one of those dash speaker bolt in jobbers...........NO
Cross bar?

Yeah the cage was an ORF bolt on kit that went to the fire wall

jrussell3176

rusted said:
Ok I take that part back. I have seen some cages get damaged. But not damaged on a fall like the one in the video. I was 30 feet from Skinny when he took that huge fall off that boulder and hit hard. His rig hit WAY harder than this guy and his cage was only mildy damaged, not crushed in like this guys.

I can think of another guy in Cedar last season that came out with a cage that leaned probably 6", but he also hit HARD. I have never seen a cage crush in like that.

Another example I can think of is Cody's cage that is a few inches shorter than it used to be when he went over on his top. I don't know what the hit was like that bent his cage, so it is hard to talk about that one.

Moral of the story, medium roll over in a good cage and you should be able to walk out of without question. A medium roll over in a poorly build cage could cost you your life.

Did you see Johnny G's cage when it bent and actually had a hole in the DOM from the impact? I believe it was in Cedar City last year.

You are right about that guys cage...what a joke. I rolled my Toy with no cage and the cab (without doors) came out looking better than this guys cage did. :ugh: The roll he took was about as easy as it could have been in that spot...just imagine if he had actually gone over backwards or rolled a couple more times!

ZUK

You turkeys. That was a cool roll. It's instinctive to put a hand or foot out when the ground is coming at you like that....some of you know what I mean....most haven't rolled. I mean roll not a flop. yep...his recovery technique needed a little work. I mean he needed to "back-off"....did ya hear Mickey Mouse in the background yell that?

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
ZUK said:
You turkeys. That was a cool roll. It's instinctive to put a hand or foot out when the ground is coming at you like that....some of you know what I mean....most haven't rolled. I mean roll not a flop. yep...his recovery technique needed a little work. I mean he needed to "back-off"....did ya hear Mickey Mouse in the background yell that?
If that's your instinct then you need to learn to turn it off when you strap into a rockcrawler, cuz you WILL lose an appendage like that. Trying to lose a leg is not cool. A dismally weak cage is not cool. Landing back on your wheels is cool.

ZUK

RockMonkey said:
If that's your instinct then you need to learn to turn it off when you strap into a rockcrawler, cuz you WILL lose an appendage like that. Trying to lose a leg is not cool. A dismally weak cage is not cool. Landing back on your wheels is cool.

you have no clue who this is...that's what's cool. You're still a turkey :suka: