The upcoming moto ride/quick report.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Caught the tail end of the KTM Rally in Crested Butte yesterday after a 7 AM start, most of the vendors were packing up but the KTM support trucks were still there and all the demo bikes were available, there were probably 30 BRAND NEW KTM Demo bikes that they were letting people ride. I choose wisely and did NOT ride a 1190 Adventure.... I don't need any reason to consider selling my 990! :ugh: One of the vendors recognized me... :eek: .... which was funny.

We rode from GJ by way of Collbran, over the Grand Mesa in the dirt then Kebler Pass to Crusty Butt. From there went up Cottonwood Pass to Buena Vista, then over Independence Pass to Aspen and Glenwood Springs on home. One of the KLR's had electrical issues and after messing with it, we ended up getting home past 10:30 PM with around 450 miles on the bikes.

All demo bikes... :hickey:
11998872_10153249475412746_2623929054015432227_n.jpg

12032081_10153249476422746_7112317253763317180_n.jpg

The 1290 KTM Super Adventure outfitted by Black Dog Cycles... this thing was MASSIVE, but looked comfy for long rides.
11249639_10153249475922746_7735868175830253945_n.jpg

Our group had 2 KTM 1190 Adventures, my 990 Adventure, a BMW GS1200 and 2 KLR's.
11261661_10153249474262746_1220398061468623158_n.jpg

rholbrook

Harrison and I should be at Tibble Fork by 3pm on Monday if anyone wants to join. We will be with some friends that don't have a ton of seat time it will be a little slower of a ride but it will still be fun. It's a father and son with a couple of Beta XTrainers Let me know if you want to meet us there

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Rode Bountiful last night. mostly in the dark, just up Buckland Ridge and down Old Ward Canyon.
Helped find a tow out for a guy that got his brand new 2013 4runner stuck at 1st meadow. He said he just bought it that day. Smashed up his front fender trying to climb/ stradle a dirt notch and slid in sideways.

Pretty cool sunset.

rholbrook

I'm headed to Afton in the morning on the weekly ride this week. Probably the best single track in the U.S. I'll try to snap a few pictures but riding all along the canyons along the Greys River in really thick pines is a riot. 100 miles in mostly 2nd gear is really really fun

rholbrook

Our weekly ride to Bridger Teton national Forest was fun. We only were able to get 85 miles in because the fun trails that are all under the great big pine trees were really muddy. Not only would we have torn up the single track trails but some of the areas we were concerned we wouldnt be able to climb back out of so we cut those trails out of our loop. We each carried an extra 1.5 liters of fuel to make sure we had plenty to get out off the trail.

Here are just a few pictures but we gained and dropped a lot of altitude Wednesday and rode some killer single track. Why can't Utah have the kind of marked trail systems that Wyoming and Idaho have. American Fork Canyon is marked nicely but you can ride it in a day. Were we rode in Wyoming this week and Idaho last week, we didnt even scratch the surface.
20151007_095421.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
20151007_094643.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This chute here is where my crazy riding buddies run their Turbo Sleds up out.
20151007_094636.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This little stream come right out of the rock face. The trail out took us right to where it merges with another stream and it was really cold water.
20151007_131244.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is called Crystal Lake. There was sign saying that the Boy Scouts have stocked it with fish every year since the mid 60s. This picture doesnt show it very well unless you know where to look but there is a small rock island along the back edge of the lake that has been formed by years of avalanches coming down, hitting the lake and pushing the rocks up to form the island. The next picture shows it.
20151007_101010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5820.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

20151007_103556.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5832.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
IMG_5831.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And finally, no trip near Afton is complete without a meal at the Rocky Mountain Seafood Restaurant. Ribeye and the big shrimp you have to peel yourself. One of the guys has an Apple Watch and according to his watch, he burned 4,900 calories so we had to replenish our calories.
IMG_5830.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

Tonkaman

Dang Russ that place sounds great! I've never been cruising through Wyoming and thought that it had fun single track hidden away. I guess I better expand my horizons

rholbrook

Our weekly ride is normally Monday or Tuesday. This week it's Wednesday and Harrison gets to miss school. He pulls good grades so there are rewards for that. Ahh screw it, I like riding with him.

Grant, you ever wonder what your old 200 looks like with a paddle?
image.jpg
Personally I would rather head to the mountains but it will be too muddy so here we come Little Sahara

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
so here we come Little Sahara

We were there over the weekend. It's been a long time since I have ridden the dunes.
I didn't ride on a paddle, and the sand was waaaay soft. Needed a paddle for sure.

I forgot how fun it is to ride wide open.
The long trail from sand mountain to white sands was a blast!! I haven't gone that fast in a long time. The new suspension on my bike soaked up the whoops, the stabilizer kept the bike straight.. It was 4th gear pinned the whole way!

I can't wait to go back again.

rholbrook

I'm not much of a dunes guy any more. That trail your talking about almost took the life of my friend when we were just out of high school. He was in the hospital for 3 months and extended care for another 3 months. He hit another guy head on. That kind of ruined it for me. We all thought he was dead. Same reason I don't sled anymore. After digging a 16 yr old kid out of an avalanche and having to give him CPR to bring him back sucked.