The upcoming moto ride/quick report.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
I will be at white wash this weekend from Thursday to Sunday if anyone wants to ride dead cow or the tubes or the enduro loop.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I will be at white wash this weekend from Thursday to Sunday if anyone wants to ride dead cow or the tubes or the enduro loop.

My wife and daughter are going to Idaho this weekend, so maybe Jack and I could sneak away for the day on Sunday. I'll let you know.

glockman

I hate Jeep trucks
That would be awesome. I'd like to ride with you guys. I'm not sure how late we will be staying Sunday. My wife and son have have to work Monday. So it would have to be early morning.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Yesterday I rode with a few locals (Chad and myself on identical KTM 990 Adventures, Jonathon on a BMWGS650 and Mark on a Suzuki DR650) out of Grand Junction to Glade Park, the explored the Dolores Triangle into Utah and back the same way. Weather looked questionable, so everyone was warned to come prepared! After meeting at 10 AM we rode up thru the Colorado Nat. Monumnet to Glade Park and out DS Road to the CO/UT border and back down into the valley. From there we rode to an overlook of Westwater canyon (saw a herd of Mulies!) on the Colorado river, played in the sand dunes down in the valley, rode thru Coates Creek (which was running pretty deep) then down to Fish Ford. After that we took the long ride out to the Dolores River and saw a few of it's river crossings. It's running pretty high right now! On the way to the river we saw some turkeys hung out at the river for a bit. We talked about our options as the gas was draining fast and so was the daylight, so we cut out seeing Granite Creek and Steamboat Mesa and rode a neat little loop that starts near Coates Creek. The creek crossings proved to be a bit of a challenge as some were rocky and others were very muddy... Jonathon on the BMW GS650 ended up taking a bath in the biggest crossing! Then there were the rocky hill climbs... loose and steep! They worked all of us over! Around 5:30 we hit the main road again and Chad took off head, headed back as he has a long ride to Montrose. The rest of us headed back, down the Monument with gas tanks emptying fast. In the end, I put 140 miles on the bike and had great time! We got rained on a little, but for the most part it was a beautiful day.... perfect temps for riding!

20160409_124319-L.jpg

20160409_140225-L.jpg

20160409_143056-L.jpg

20160409_143118-L.jpg

20160409_143130-L.jpg

20160409_151426-L.jpg

20160409_151956-X2.jpg

20160409_163843-L.jpg

20160409_163858-L.jpg

20160409_163938-L.jpg

20160409_170333-L.jpg

20160409_170606-XL.jpg

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I just did 2 days in Moab. Lots of fun.
I was unhappy to see the amount of trail widening and obstacle destruction that has taken place in the last few years. I blame the SxS's mostly. They seemed to try to avoid and go around obstacles, making them wider. Or they would get stuck and open the throttle spitting dirt and rocks everywhere and making huge holes.
The BLM has done a good job of signage and new fences on hells revenge to help manage the issues.

I ride the ktm up hells gate and the escalator. First time for both. Lots of fun.

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Nice! How was the Escalator on a bike? It looked pretty brutal, especially that big hole with the steep, uphill transition! You saw what not to do, when I tried to ride Hells Gate? :greg:

jeeper

Yeah, I've got video of your attempt. Right up to the point where I was standing right in the middle of your line :(
We rode down hells gate instead of going around. I think it really helped my ability to get back up it because I understood the line choice well. If I had not gone down, I would have picked a different line going up, and probably wouldn't have made it.

Escalator wasn't too bad. I knew the hole was at the top of that first ledge, but forgot how big it was. I got spooked and stopped on the ledge, so I repositioned, then grabbed a handful of throttle and with some fancy clutch work made it up and over. My line didn't go as planned, but I made it up.

rholbrook

I guess it didn't happen. No vid. One of hells gate is on my brothers camera.
One of my riding buddies was headed up Hells Gate a few years ago and near the top he was going to go over backwards and tried to save the bike. Needless to say, his fingers ended up going into the rear sprocket. If it wasn't for his gloves he would have lost them all. It was nasty. Two weeks later he was riding again and the pin coming straight out of his finger kept getting bumped when we would go riding so a pair of dikes later, we shortened the pin and it worked great for the last month or so.

rholbrook

Saturday I took a 15 year old kid riding with Harrison, Craig and I. His dad said he was a good rider and could pretty much go where ever we went so we started at the corals on Soldier Pass road and headed Southwest from there. It wasn't long before I knew he was in for a long day and we hadn't gone more than 5 miles before I could really tell he was wanting none of this. I lost track of how many times he crashed. It was mostly lack of clutching skills and understanding that if you stab the rear brake and lock up the wheel, the bike stalls. He was killing it and then tipping over. I sent Harrison and Craig off and said we will meet them at the truck whenever they decided to be done. I then took Dawson out of the ravine we were in and I got ahead of him and told him to follow me out into the field where I say a little hill.

We worked strictly on clutching. I showed him how important feathering the clutch is to determine speed while keeping the engine RPM up so you don't stall it. I used the hill and made him start and stop on the hill over and over without stalling it. Then when he got good at that, I made him crawl up the hill while feeding the clutch lever in and out maintaining a slow speed. We worked on feeling the bike as the clutch lever was let out, getting a feel of where the clutch actually started to engage and how to work on his hand remembering the location of where the clutch starts engaging. It just the normal stuff that we learn when riding off road. After about 45 min of nothing but making him do this over and over he began to really get the hang of proper clutching techniques.

On the way back to the truck he never crashed once. I was hoping I didn't ruin his riding by taking on what seems to be an easy trail to us. Next time someones dad says that his son is a good rider, I am going to ask if its in the pasture or on a trail. I think Dawson will want to come again but it will be probably two or three times before he will be able to get enough confidence to loosen his grip on the bars, stand up and just let the bike move under him and enjoy the ride.

jeeper

Russ, We had a similar level rider in our group this weekend. He would flame out on simple, nearly flat areas because he just didn't understand the clutch/throttle basics. I spent just a few moments and explained what he needed to do, then rode next to him on each obstacle and yelled instructions at him... Usually 'more throttle! more clutch!' it didn't take long, and he was able to ride with us. It's crazy how just a little proper coaching can make such a big difference.

Marsh, if you haven't ridden Hells Revenge or slick rock bike trail, you owe it to yourself to do it. If you have, 'behind the rocks' is one of my favorite. If you have the desire for a longer harder ride do poison spider- golden spike- gold bar rim combo. You just need a second truck to get you back to the beginning.