Thermalcoupler install, remove turbo?

BrockSampson

I'm going to be installing a thermalcoupler for my edge juice this weekend. The instructions say to drill the manifold without removing the turbo, but letting all the steel chips go through the turbo makes me nervous. What do you guys think. Should I pull the turbo or not?

If so, is there anything that I need to get from the parts store to get it it seal back up when I reinstall it.

Thanks

Bryan

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Make an adapter for your vacuum using smaller diameter hose and duct tabe. Unbolt your turbo and open it up enough to where you can slide the small vacuum hose in. Turn vacuum on and drill. Use a lot of oil to keep the shavings in place up top as well.

Also - if any small particles do get left behind, the exhaust will blow them out before the turbo even spools up.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
From what I've been reading, any and all methods of chip collection should be utilized. :D Turbos arent' cheap and the tolerances are miniscule.

Shane's method looks snazzy, and the standard grease on the drill/tap works well with it.

Measure carefully, btw.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I've spoke with a couple mechanics who install them all day long. They drill them without removing the turbo. They gauge how deep they are drilling and with the last few thousands of drilling they dip the bit in grease, and carefully finish. They remove all the filings at that point as well. They claim it is safe:-\

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
I did mine without removing the turbo, mine is right off the drivers manifold on my 01 SD. I just used 4 different drill bits so I would not get any big shavings and stuck a magnet in there. Then I fired it up after the hole was done hoping to blow out anything still left inside. No problems:greg:

toys4rocks

I didn't mean to do that!
If you are that worried about it, put on your welding gloves and do it with the truck running. I know 2 people that have done this with good results.

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
Ding! Ding! Ding!

I think that's the kewl kid way to do it. (I chickened out and had mine installed)

I think you would be more lilkley to get more shavings through this way. If you just drill through you wouldn't have any shavings until you made it all the way through, then you could magnet it out. If the truck is running its just as likley to shoot the shavings through the exhaust to the turbo as it would be to push it out the hole

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I think you would be more lilkley to get more shavings through this way. If you just drill through you wouldn't have any shavings until you made it all the way through, then you could magnet it out. If the truck is running its just as likley to shoot the shavings through the exhaust to the turbo as it would be to push it out the hole

With exhaust pressure pushing out against it? I doubt it. I think any/all shavings would end up in your face (which is better than through your turbo).

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
With exhaust pressure pushing out against it? I doubt it. I think any/all shavings would end up in your face (which is better than through your turbo).

What about when the drill bit goes through the hole as it's running it more likley to get pushed down the exhaust then through the hole that is plugged up with a drill bit. How did you do it on yours again marc?:p

BrockSampson

Thanks for the responses guys. Being the paranoid person I am, I think I'll just pull the turbo for piece of mind. Anybody know if the gasket between the turbo and manifold is reusable, or do I need a new one after I split it open?

Meat...I've been looking at your other thread on lift pumps. What flow rate are you getting with your fass? This is going to be my next mod after I get my chip installed. I really don't want to spend another 1400 bones on another injection pump. :mad:

Thanks guys

Meat_

Banned
...Meat...I've been looking at your other thread on lift pumps. What flow rate are you getting with your fass? This is going to be my next mod after I get my chip installed. I really don't want to spend another 1400 bones on another injection pump. :mad:

Thanks guys

I haven't picked it up yet.... Guys running bigger injectors with a Juice on 5 can't make the FASS drop in pressure at all. I think I'm going to run my FASS through the stock filter as well so I can still have a fuel heater :greg:

I think I'll go ahead and yank my turbo as well since I'll be doing an exhaust anyway.

BrockSampson

Well, I got it all done. The turbo came off really easy. But now that I can monitor my fuel pressure with the attitude module, I need a fass. At idle it sits at 13 psi, during hard acceleration it gets down to 7 psi on the stock power level. Set it to level 3 or more and it drops to 0. On the highway, on the stock power level, it sits at 3-4 psi. But when punch it to pass someone it drops to 0. So it looks like I'll be spending another $640 next week. I think I've started down a dark and slippery road. :D Oh well its only money.

Thanks for the info guys

Bryan