Toyota Thinking about picking up an FJ Cruiser...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
So the fiance's lease on her prius is up this month and we are going to send it down the road and get her an FJ Cruiser. She loves them, has test driven a few, and we are going to get her one most likely. WE aren't concerned about fuel mileage since her new job is only about 20 miles from home so she doesn't need the econo-box anymore. I haven't heard a lot of chatter about the FJ Cruiser on here and was wondering what I'm in for. Has anyone had a bad experience? Her dad is high up in the Mark Miller Dealer so service and factory parts will be on the cheap.

That being said I tried to talk her into a rubicon 4 door or LJ but she didn't like the test drive as much as the FJ...

What's the word folks?

Coco

I really like them, and they are very cool, but the only thing that turns me off with them is they are very hard to see out of, and they seem to have more blind spots than most. But that comes with the vehicle. If you get one tho, I would get the TRD package.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I wasn't impressed with the TRD package...you get shocks, which will get tossed when it gets a lift, wheels....which are ugly, and decals....which are unnecessary. It really offers nothing in the way of usefulness unless I plan on leaving it stock. The blind spots are an issue but my fiance is not a short gal and has assured me she can cope.

Caleb

On the FJ, I'd get the Off-Road package, not the TRD package. The Off-Road package gets you the locking rear diff.

The only thing with the FJ is you have to get some lift and tires before they are not butt ugly. Get a nice ARB bumper and you'll be set. :D

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think they're decent all around vehicles, but nowhere near the 'offroader' that many FJ Cruiser nuts think they are. Don't care for the 1/2 door either. If you lift and wheel them, there are problems with the fender (?) peeling/splitting away from the firewall. IIRC Toyota won't help ya, because it's been modified and there's not a problem with stock vehicles.

As I understand they're based on a Toyota 4Runner... which for a few years you could get with the V8. If you need to tow anything in the future, I'd consider that. Catherine has a V8 4Runner and there's no way I'd ever trade it for an FJ Cruiser with a V6.

If she's just driving it, I'm sure it will be great.... after all, it's a Toyota. :greg:

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
You have to go out of your way to find one that doesn't have the rear locker which is good. I know toyota was trying to make a trendy truck to lure people into the market and...well...they've succeeded.

I don't plan on going crazy because it is going to be HER car and she has a pretty girly job that requires her to get dolled up every day so it has to meet her commuting needs first and foremost then meet my light-duty offroading needs secondly. There are tons of them on KSL right now so I think we will have an easy time getting a good deal on one.

I have been hitting up the FJ cruiser forums but it looks like I deserve to hit them up even harder to see what the hardcore acts are finding as weaknesses. I met up with a bunch of guys that raced the FJs in Baja when I was down in Ensenada with KC Hilites for the 500 and they were really impressed with their durability out of the box.

When we were at the dealer I took a close look at the new 4-runner and Toyota has really beefed up the styling on them, I'm really impressed with the pricing too. Maybe we run the FJ until the girl decides she wants something a bit softer like a 4-runner....we shall see!!

Bart

I hear if you wheel them the rear doors will eventually start to rattle. May not be a problem with it being your wife's car.

Coco

I wasn't impressed with the TRD package...you get shocks, which will get tossed when it gets a lift, wheels....which are ugly, and decals....which are unnecessary. It really offers nothing in the way of usefulness unless I plan on leaving it stock. The blind spots are an issue but my fiance is not a short gal and has assured me she can cope.

On the FJ, I'd get the Off-Road package, not the TRD package. The Off-Road package gets you the locking rear diff.

The only thing with the FJ is you have to get some lift and tires before they are not butt ugly. Get a nice ARB bumper and you'll be set. :D

My bad, I had the packages mixed up, but x2 on the e locker. It will be very helpful.

mierdota

My Brother in law has one and he loves is, he is actually selling it to get out of debt it has a lift and 33's and arb bumpers front and rear with winch, also has rock sliders its one of the better looking fj's I've seen

Caleb

My bad, I had the packages mixed up, but x2 on the e locker. It will be very helpful.
The TRD package used to be the e-locker (and still is on the Tacoma and maybe the 4Runner as well). However, on the FJ it's the offroad package that includes the e-locker and the Tundra only comes with an LSD with the TRD package.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
My Brother in law has one and he loves is, he is actually selling it to get out of debt it has a lift and 33's and arb bumpers front and rear with winch, also has rock sliders its one of the better looking fj's I've seen
What color is it? I might be interested!!

UNSTUCK

But stuck more often.
My wife was dying for one, that is until she tried to put a baby seat in the back of it. She walked away very disappointed. Something to think about if you have or will have kids back there.

krany

kranberry
Fj cruisers are cool suv's I've driven a couple and they have massive blind spots. The styling is pretty cool and when you lift them they bring the sexy. And if your slightly OCD then the three wiper blades will bug you, it's one thing I hate about em is that. But that's the only bad thing I have noticed about them.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
Before you buy one, go test drive a Jk. The Jk has everything the scion cruiser has, but more. Removable top, 4 real doors, solid axle, front and rear locker options... The way I see it they are very similar rigs but the Jk has the scion beat in every way

....I call it a scion because imo it has nothing to do with being a legendary "fj" and I'd respect it more if it had a scion embelem

Coco

Look at the new 4runners too, they are way good looking in my opinion, but that is all I can say, because i have not driven one, or anything, but i have seen some that are lifted, and man they look good.