Toyota Thinking about picking up an FJ Cruiser...

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
I know its been mentioned, but I will repeat...BLIND SPOTS, I wanted one, test drove one and didnt like that I couldnt see, both for town traffic, and for off roading...decided not to buy. also parts are expensive, even if you have connections, windshield is over $1000.

C22

My wife has a 2010 FJ Cruiser that we bought new over a year ago. She has liked it a lot (she had a Nissan Armada and several 1999-2004 Grand Cherokee's before the FJ).

Here's a rundown of the good/bad I've noticed:

Good...
-They get pretty decent fuel mileage for what they are (most highway trips we get 23'ish).
-They have a good power band and the 5-speed auto seems to do a good job all around (I had a 2007 Jeep JK Unlimited and it was a disaster as far as power is concerned, we live on the bench and the JK wasn't a good vehicle to get up and down the hill in). The 2010 FJ's also received a few engine updates and have the same horsepower rating as the 2010 4-runners (I think they went from 230'ish to 270'ish). Having driven a 2007 FJ and our 2010 FJ, I didn't notice a big difference... if any.
-Our FJ has had no problems with the "fender tearing" issue (supposedly, they did a slight redesign on inner fenders of the mid-2008's... it's a relatively easy thing to spot if you're looking at used FJ's).
-We have 2 kids (5 and 7) and the back seat hasn't been an issue with their boosters (now the clamshell door design is a different story, make sure you like it before you buy one).

Bad...
-The windshields will get rock chips (I didn't notice this on my JK, and the windshield profiles seem similar?). We have 15k miles on our FJ and it has 5 rock chips, we haven't replaced it yet, but I know it's not cheap because they have to replace the white painted trim piece at the top of the windshield (my insurance will be paying for ours).
-Clamshell door design... looking back, I wish we would have bought the 2010 4-Runner, but they weren't dealing at the time and the available one's were all $40k plus.

I personally wouldn't buy a Jeep JK Unilimited until the new Pentastar motor and 5-speed auto come out in the 2012 models (again, I owned a 2007, and couldn't stand the motor/transmission combo).

If you end up with a FJ, we put Expedition One bumpers and sliders on ours and they have been great. I haven't lifted ours yet, but plan to do a slight lift and 285/70-17 tires eventually. I know Kurt at Cruiser Outfitter's has put OME suspensions and ARB bumpers on a bunch of them with great results as well.

Good luck with the purchase.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
all valid points...

from what i have seen come into my dealer. they take off-road abuse pretty well. I haven't seen the fender/firewall separation issue... but DO NOT BUY A MANUAL! there are common failures of the sleeve the throw out bearing rides on(its alum WTF), it doesn't do anything but make noise, but to fix it you have to replace the bell-housing (and then it will wear again)... so buy a auto. the serp belt idler pullys can make noise after getting dipped in water or getting very dusty, but they have updated them to a sealed bearing to fix this issue. but other then that Ive not seen any issues from them. (if you do lift it more then 2 inches drop the front diff)

they are great vehicles... but I would get a 4runner...

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
Couldn't talk her into a 4-runner even though there was one on the floor with this amazing feature on it...

63d77da2f4783fc5fadc62ef10ebaacc_l.jpg

I never did find out what it was but figured it was a valuable feature!!!

We ended up getting a new one because she fell in love with the green...and I gotta be honest with all the blacked out stuff and the dark green this thing is Sharp!!!

a76deea56835fcb7598aaddad4db3c66_l.jpg

The 2011 has the better motor and a couple minor improvements so she is happy and I'm happy now we need a set of rock rails...who has some nice rock rails that I can pick up today?? Curt??

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
slick looking rig.

I put a lift on and built a rear bumper for one of those once.
Interesting setup, that rear end, all the way up to the taillights, is plastic.
We ended up cutting off the tailpipe about 6" in and putting a turn down on it after the owner backed up on an incline on Rattlesnake and kinked it shut.

The taillights stick out on the side like they are begging to be broken off, but there are aftermarket ones that look very slick.
The other thing I've heard is that Toy 8" isn't enough for how heavy and powerful that vehicle is.

Not a hardcore wheeler by any means, but I would get one! And other than those few things, I absolutely love them. I rode in one from SLC to Moab and out the rough road at Arches by Balance Rock and they are amazing fun in the rough ruts.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
Couldn't talk her into a 4-runner even though there was one on the floor with this amazing feature on it...

63d77da2f4783fc5fadc62ef10ebaacc_l.jpg

I never did find out what it was but figured it was a valuable feature!!!

lol, it is for "tailgating" or having a party... it has a tray that slides out the back that you can have food/coolers ect on. when you push the "party mode" button it makes all the sound directed out the back of the vehicle and sounds good with only the hatch open. again for tailgating type scenarios...

images

Last edited:

Caleb

Now you just need to get a large flat black star for the door like the FJ at Karl Malone Toyota :D Good looking rig you got there.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
We're digging it so far. I ran it up some stuff to twist it up but I gotta wait for my rock rails from curt before it get to bashing it too much. The revamped motor has good grunt, the Tranny is sharp, and the t-case shifts smooth. The back up camera built into the rear view mirror is awesome!!!