Thoughts on open carry?

Toad

So I am at Wal-Mart tonight( I know my first mistake). I see this guy with what appears to be a Glock on the right side of his hip. On the left side he has two magazines. He is wearing some sort of tactical pant. I dont know if that is what there are called or not. So in my mind he is just trying to show off. Dont get me wrong I fully support people taking steps to protect themselves and their family. I am a CFP holder myself. Personally I believe in out of site out of mind. Nobody needs to know what I am doing other than me. So just wondering what others think about open carry?

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
I will only do it if I'm heading to the mountains for camping or hunting. Even that depends on what I'm wearing. If the clothes I'm wearing will support concealed carry then I see no reason to open carry.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
I think open carry is an extremest action that proves nothing and harms much. If you truly want a gun for protection and not to feel tough, it should be hidden.

broncomitch

dont be a sheep in a jeep
I don't have a problem with it..if you don't abuse it.

guys walking around with assault rifles on there back around town and think they are Rambo, I want to slap silly cus they are abusing the right to open carry and making the rest of us look bad.

I like the out of sight out of mind route but your less likely to get mugged and what not if you open carry...I could go on and on with pro' sand cons of each but what it boils down to is my first statement...DONT ABUSE YOUR RIGHTS!

AaronPaige

In most cases if I see some one open carrying in a store or other public place I become nervous a suspicious of what they are thinking...I love my rights but it's strange to see in public

skeptic

For show, to make a statement, as a visual deterrent so you never actually need to use it.. I've heard all these reasons. Personally, unless I'm up in the mountains camping I only carry concealed. Even when camping I'll keep mine concealed when around people I don't know.

boogie_4wheel

What's keeping a random person from coming up behind you in the store and grabbing it and possibly using your own firearm against you? If it is concealed/can't be seen, then it stays in your possession. In public, only concealed for me.

The only time I open carry is if I'm out hunting or hiking, away from the public. For my build, my gun, and holsters, open carry is of course more comfortable and a quicker draw.

We all know the (if the aggressor sees that you have a firearm, they could take you out first), and could debate it till we are dead... A pistol open on a person doesn't concern me, a pistol and two mags does get my attention a whole lot more (expecting a full on gun fight at the gas station?), person with an 'assault rifle' across their back is doing harm and it isn't on them for protection.

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I could open carry anywhere, really. But why would I? Prove I'm a badass? Right... Scare smaller minded people though... And kids. Why do I need to do that? Camping, yes, open carry. ESPECIALLY around those I don't know. I really need to get a CCW sometime...

skeptic

What's keeping a random person from coming up behind you in the store and grabbing it and possibly using your own firearm against you?

We all know the (if the aggressor sees that you have a firearm, they could take you out first), and could debate it till we are dead...

These are my two biggest arguments against open carry. The third being it makes some people uncomfortable and scared, which leads to anti-gun crap.

Camping, yes, open carry. ESPECIALLY around those I don't know. I really need to get a CCW sometime...
If I didn't have a carry permit I'd open carry when camping as well. Honestly though, if getting your permit is something you want you should just do it. It's quick, easy, and cheap.

RogueJeepr

Here!
I was somewhere and some guy had an open carry. Normally I dont mind, but this guy had his hand on it constantly wich made me nervous and everyone in the room.

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I do it all the time...I can't wait to get shot in the back when I'm facing the slurpee machine in a 7-11 when it gets robbed...die like a true 2nd Amendment supporter!! Truthfully I used to open carry when I was doing contract security for the feds and rode the motorcycle to and from work. It was easier to carry that company issued nickel-plated hand cannon in the double retention holster on my belt. Camping is about the only time I would open carry anymore. I prefer to appear as a wolf in wolf's clothing packing concealed heat.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
I don't carry. If I did, I'd carry concealed most if not all of the time. If I got into a situation I'd need to use it, I'd rather begin that situation with nobody else knowing I had it.

jentzschman

I agree with the majority of the statements. I would open carry on occasion if I had a proper holster with at least level 2 retainment, none of the "open slide" kydex or leather holsters.

While I agree that our 2nd amendment rights are being attacked all around by anti-gun nut jobs and recognize the need to exercise our rights (or they will be lost or taken away), I also believe we must be smart and thoughtful on how we approach open carry. Like others have mentioned, hauling around an AR or AK is not the best way to exercise our 2nd, however, I fiercely agree with the RIGHT to do so.

I have seen on maybe a dozen occasions others open carry and I feel zero sense of apprehension or fear. To be honest, it's the waka-do's that go full commando/rambo style that we should fear. Someone simply open carrying a sidearm does little to put me on edge.

In the end if we do not exercise our rights, IMHO, we will loose them or they will be taken away.

jentzschman

^ I respectfully disagree. Some rights big bother has zero say in, the 2nd is one of them. Big brother does not give me the right to defend myself, God does.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
^ I respectfully disagree. Some rights big bother has zero say in, the 2nd is one of them. Big brother does not give me the right to defend myself, God does.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed..."

Tell that to the people in many states who can't carry. A right is nothing more than the government allows.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member

The problem is that we vote people into office year after year that take our freedoms away and that includes the Supreme Court.