Tires?

Thatredjeep

So I am new to Jeeping and am looking for some knowledge on tires. I have bf goodriches on my jeep right now, i like them but they seem to be wearing out incredibly fast! they seem to be good for crawling but to soft for pavement. does anyone have a tire that they think is good for both?

sixstringsteve

which model bf goodrich tires do you have? Tell us about your jeep and driving needs. How far do you drive on pavement every day? What kind of offroading do you do? What size tire are we talking about?

I think every manufacturer makes a decent tire these days. Some of my favorites are:

BFG Mud Terrain KM2
Maxxis Trepador Radials
Goodyear Wrangler MT/R Kevlar
Goodyear Duratracs (with the 3-ply sidewall only)
Falken Wild Peaks
Nitto Muds

Last edited:

STAG

On my grind
I have the KM2's on my pickup truck, and I have loved them offroad, but they were a lot louder than I had expected when putting them on; usually peoples first words when they get in my truck for a ride are along the lines of "holy *#}%, are those your tires that are that loud?"

I have about 40k miles on them from new and they are finally all but wore out. I found out early on that they are super picky about tire pressure. Granted my truck is something like ~9500 lbs or something though.

I think my next tire will be the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ radial. Having said that, my truck is 85% highway/city miles, and 15 % offroad.

Last edited:

Thatredjeep

i use it mostly for driving but am trying to go wheelin more just need to find a group that goes often that i can go with. i go down to moab and go on all sorts of trails. my rig is a 97 jeep wrangler tj with a 4 inch lift, i have 31 on it and am looking to keep that size. the bfs i have on now are a/t. I'm not sure if i want a more aggressive tire or what. any thoughts?

sixstringsteve

The good news is that you don't need anything super aggressive for Moab. The traction is amazing on the slickrock there, so you can focus more on a good all terrain. Most of what I listed above are aggressive tires. I like the yokohama geolanders, the Big O All-terrain, and the Falken Wild Peaks. Also, when was the last time you had an alignment? Alignment can do a lot to chew tires up.

Last edited:

skiboarder

SkiBoarder
I have Yokohama Geolanders on the Tahoe. They are almost to the wear marks with 50,000 miles. I have been very happy with them, and will probably get another pair for the Tahoe. Super in snow and good every where else.

utekrawler

I personally love my Goodyear Wrangler MTR/ Kevlar. Amazing on and off road but I only have 5000 miles on them so time will tell how loud they will be. If you are wanting to stay more A/T then I would recommend the tire you already have. I love the BFG all terrain. I had them on my F-350 for the last 5 years and had them on my YJ before I sold it. Great tire that last fairly long and if you are just doing moab and simple trails then it will be a great tire, but thats just my 2 cents.

Houndoc

I have ran several sets of BFG All-terrians and loved them- have gotten around 80k miles with them on my Montero Sport, currently have them both on the Monty and Silverado 2500. Running Geolanders on my 1500. They have around 45,000 miles on them in 2 years and hoping to get another year out of them.

Have ran a couple sets of Coopers in the last 5 years and have been very disappointed (used to love them) but am starting to hear better things about them once again.

Personally for a mix off-road and daily driver uses, the BFG All-Terrian is my tire of choice.