Tires

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
OK I think I am going to get some new tires 35x12.5s. From what I have seen lately the Goodyears seem to have the edge over the BFGs. Heres my question. Would you pay 150.00 more to run the Goodyears. I have a trashed BFG with road hazard and Discount will replace it with a new one (new style they dont have any of the old ones to match mine). They will also credit it towards a set of MT/Rs. The difference between getting the MT/Rs and buying three more BFGs at cosco, both mounted and with road hazard, is 150.00 This is even after Discount gives me 35.00 each trade in on the two half tread BFGs I will have left (I am going to use one for a spare) so I guess the diference would even be a little bit more if I could sell the extras. So what do you guys who have run both think? Are the MT/Rs really that much better? Right now what I care about most is How they do in Moab. I do some wheeling around here too but not too much. Hardly any mud and never any snow. Also would you have the MT/Rs siped I did my BFGs and there were no bad effects.

Ryan

We run BFG's on our competition vehicle, but if they didn't pay good contingency, offer a pit crew, and give them to us at a helluva discount, we wouldn't be running them.

They hook up great, but if I had a dollar for every BFG sidewall I've lost...

Personally, I would go with MT/R's all the way, based completely on the sidewall issue.

Never siped my tires, can't help you out there.

Ryan

...and at the risk of appearing to be replying to myself(which, I suppose, I am), would I pay $150 more for the MT/R's?

If they were only going to see occasional wheelin', maybe not---if they were going to see even one weekend a month, I'd spend the extra money.

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The sidewall thing never caused me any trouble till now(I think I could live with it if I buy the road hazard again). I care more about traction. When you say you run the BFGs on your comp. rig do you mean the same mud terrain KMs as they sell in the stores or are you talking about A diferent compound or the Krawlers? are the MT/Rs any stickyer.

Ryan

We run the KM's, the same ones anybody can get anywhere. They don't really have different compound BFG's available to competitors or anything(what ever happened to the 'Moab Edition'????). The Krawlers aren't even available on the contingency program yet, still testing supposedly.

I've ran BFG's a lot in the past, and didn't really have any sidewall problems for the first little while. Then I lost 3 sidewalls in about 3 weeks(all on road hazard thankfully). Even though they were replaced, it sucked to have to worry about it and try to be careful so as not to rip anymore.

As for the BFG MT/R direct comparison, I haven't ran both on the same vehicle, or even comparable vehicles for that matter. I've only ran the MT/R's on my wifes Runner, and it's not subjected to nearly the same conditions my other vehicles have been.

The 37's are definitely waaaay more sticky, but they aren't the same compound as the 35's.

From what I HAVE experienced, the MT/R's are at LEAST equally as 'sticky' as the BFG's, and many people seem to think they are even more so.

Wade O

I replaced the BFG MT's on my Jeep a couple years ago with some MT/R's. I have been really happy with the performance of the MT/R's, and would say they out do the BFG's every where but in Moab. Maybe I was expecting too much from the MT/R, but I run them at 8 psi in Moab and I didn't get that warm fuzzy feeling that everyone else seems to get who runs them there.

I can attest to the sidewall reliability after a run in Delta that left a small gash in the side of the tire that I am pretty sure the same occurrence would have wasted my BFG's.

Still debating what to purchase for the next tire set but I would say at least an 80% chance it will be MT/R's again.

Wade

Ryan

They both have 3. As to construction or whatever, I have no idea what the difference is. I DO know that I've seen the MT/R sidewalls take a LOT more abuse though.

Last edited:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
BFG has three (triguard sidwall) The Discount Salesman told me the Goodyear also has three. The general consensus on the BBs is that the Goodyears are a lot tougher.

jp008

I run MT/R's and I like them ALOT. However a guy I work with just put Big O XT's on his crawler and they stick like glue, Plus the nice thing about them is if you ruin a tire you take it and the reciept to any Big O and you get a FREE TIRE. The sidewall is only 2 ply, but they took some nasty abuse in "Carnage Canyon" and did not suffer any damage, other than the white letters :rolleyes: .

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I went thru 3, 35" BFG's over the summer, all sidewall damage. After wheelin with the MT/R's, I love them. BFG's used to be the toughest Mud Terrain radial out there, especially when compared to the old school MT/R, but Goodyear fixed that now. My 37's are as sticky and soft as I'd want them! When its all said and done......

I would pay the extra $150!

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Greg Can you do me a favor and measure your 37s for me are they really 37" or are they a little shorter? Are they a competition compound or can you get them in the same compound as you get with the 35"s? I don't drive the Jeep very much but I don't want something that is going to wear out in 5,000 miles. I can probably cut enough sheetmetal to fit some 37"s. It's something to think about but I don't know if I really want to go that big.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I measured them.... 35.5", BUT that's at 8 PSI, on a 8" rim. I haven't aired them up since I was wheelin last. They are probably 36.5" fully aired up, if not a true 37". There was a noticable diffrence in size between the 35's and 37's. I would totally step up to 37's, the diffrence sounds minor, but on the trail, its pretty noticable.

These aren't the Comp. Compound but they are still pretty soft. You can grab a block of tread ond get it to move around pretty good.

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
I would also recommend MT/R's over BFG's. I've run BFG's on one of my old Toyotas and I wasn't very impressed with them. From what I've experienced, MT/R's are a great all around tire. They ride very good on the street and hook up pretty well in Moab. My only complaint is that they don't have larger side lugs like a swamper. The thing I love about swampers is when you are borderline stuck you can work your front tires back and forth and the side lugs will start to catch and pull you over ledges. When I try to work my MT/R's I don't get that extra pull. Obviously, the MT/R and swamper (i.e. TSL or SX) are like apples and oranges. If I run a dual purpose tire (street and Moab) it will always be a MT/R...however if I ever run off-road only tires I'll run a sipe'd SX without question.

Good luck tire shoppin'

Mike

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Does anyone have a 37" MT/R on a 5 on 5 1/2 rim that would let me try it on? I would like to see what I would have to cut. How about a 36x12.50 Super swamper SX?

WJL

I do, the ones on my TJ are the SXs of that size and bolt pattern. They are mounted on Hellcats 15x8.5 BP of 5x5.5".
Sitting on the garage floor are my 37 MTRs ( not mounted yet) I will be ordering some rims shortly.
I would not mind if you wanted to come up and try them on you vehicle to see what you would have to cut.
Love the SXs for Off Road. picked up the 37s for a song(that is why I have them), also wanted to try a set(balanceing/traction/wear).
My Jeep is not my dd. Sees about 20% on road and 80%off.

I live in Eden( up by Snow Basin)

Last edited: