Tires

Ryan

Just for the record...

I've heard from many people, including some that have chatted with Goodyear supposedly, that all 37x12.5x15 MT/R's are the same compound. I've yet to see anyone prove that there are different compounds out there(barring of course the rare occurance of some of the initial test tires from waaaay back that might vary a little, if any are still around), and the 37's I had(which are now Gregs), feel just as soft as any 37" MT/R I've seen, competition vehicle or not. Also, the 37's were notably softer than the 35's in my opinion. I may be way off, but I wouldn't count on getting too many street miles out of 37x12.5x15's.

I'd imagine there are those that would disagree:)p), but I've yet to see proof that there's a "competition compound" being sold presently. Or maybe a better way to put it would be to say that ALL 37x12.5x15 MT/R's being sold currently are the "competition compound", being as they seem way 'stickier' than other sizes of MT/R's.

Also, logically, it doesn't make much sense that Goodyear would produce a little handful of tires out of a special 'softer' compound, just to be ran on competition vehicles, especially seeing as that's how a large percentage of potential customers would evaluate the tires---seeing them in competition. I don't think Goodyear would take the stance that "Sure, our tires are the best on the market, as seen in all the competitions. Too bad nobody can buy them, hehehehehe..."

Just wouldn't make sense to me.

Anyway, flame away(c'mon Brandon:D), but that's my $.02.

Ryan

BTW, note that I only mentioned the 37x12.5x15. I've heard that other rim sizes have different load ratings, and are a bit more stiff.

I'll shoot Goodyear an e-mail and see if anybody will give me any info straight from the horses mouth(which is probably what I should have done before I spouted off, LOL. Oh well, I guess I'm allowed.)

Mike_Lib

Mall Crawlin'
I'd like to hear an official statement from Goodyear as well.

I recently sold a set of 37's to Cody that were stamped "not for highway use" on the side of the tires. Maybe Cody can compare his to someone else's DOT approved 37's to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Ryan

There's a tool that measures the softness or hardness of the rubber. We oughtta see if we can round one up and find out for sure. I might not hit up Goodyear until tomorrow, gotta go.

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Originally posted by Ryan
There's a tool that measures the softness or hardness of the rubber. We oughtta see if we can round one up and find out for sure. I might not hit up Goodyear until tomorrow, gotta go.

The tool you're talking about is called a 'durometer' or hardness guage. I have one. If there is a way to get a couple of tires that are suspected to be different together, I can stop by and measure them. Recognize I live in Oakley (about an hour east of SLC), and travel quite a bit for my job, so it would have to fit with my travel schedule.

jd

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
I remember when the ski companys were all saying that the racing skis in the stores were the same skis that the world cup racers were using. I worked in a store for a couple of years and the reps would even tell the sales people that the skis were the same. This was a joke. The "race stock" skis they were making for the top racers and even somtimes for the not so hot racers were not the same. Sometimes they were not even based on the same design.

demon jeep

Banned
know if you go with the MTRS and you do not make the water fall
we all will know what tire is really better. oh ya the other was vehicle that made it was on the new 37 bfg hint hint:D

For all of you who do not know Bobdog is the second person that has made the water fall out at rattle snake he is 2 for 2 on it

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by demon jeep
know if you go with the MTRS and you do not make the water fall
we all will know what tire is really better. oh ya the other was vehicle that made it was on the new 37 bfg hint hint:D

For all of you who do not know Bobdog is the second person that has made the water fall out at rattle snake he is 2 for 2 on it

There's sooooo many factors there, its hardly fair to say the tires get all the credit.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
We need to do a run out there (I know there was one last weekend.....Jeep not running.....me no go....wife's ZJ would not like it.....) as Wayne has been telling me cool things about the little wash. I've got to see this waterfall. Is it 'winch only' or not?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Its just 2 ledges, like Double Whammy, except this is Granite, sharp, tall, undercut and loose. The Obstacle crosses the entire trail and you can drive to the left and take the easy way, or around the tree on the right to the Bypass or try going up the middle. The middle is the PITA part. Heres Bobdog from the last trip out there.....

attachment.php

Heres a pic that may show the face of the climb a little better..... Chris' Bronco on 37's didn't make it up!

Attachments

• chrish.waterfall3.jpg
    chrish.waterfall3.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 136

demon jeep

Banned
Originally posted by Greg

There's sooooo many factors there, its hardly fair to say the tires get all the credit.

Greg are you saying Bob is a better driver than you :D J/K
There is a lot of factors on that water fall but we need to see is a set of MTRS on it

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
It looks like there are some rocks at the base of the first ledge in the top photo that are not in the bottom one. It also looks colder in the bottom photo.

demon jeep

Banned
Ya the big rock that is there know got moved when I came off the steps it rolled and I almost rolled. We can move it for you next time but I have still seen no one else make it with the rock there

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Wow....looks interesting, nice ledges........I'd love to run out there.....hopefully my Jeep will be in one peice after this weekend and we'll have to set a date......

ewander

I guess I should also mention that I run the 35" MTR's and haven't made it yet......but then again, I'm a crappy driver.

Ryan

I'm up for whenever(except this weekend:D), but if I don't end up going for whatever reason, be sure to take a trash bag or two with you. I totally spaced it last weekend, or the trail would have had about a quadrabazillion less shotgun shells on it:(

I personally have never been able to find the label on any kind of shotgun shell that says "BIODEGRADABLE":mad:

Maybe I'm missing something...

Ryan

FWIW, I got this back from Goodyear:

From: consumer_relations@goodyear.com on 10/10/2002 01:20 PM

Sent by: Goodyear Tire & Rubber Company
Consumer Relations 7
1144 East Market Street
Akron, OH 44316
Voice #: (800) 321-2136
Fax #: (330) 796-3753

Dear Ryan, Thank you for your recent inquiry. No, there is no truth to the
rumour you have heard. The tires available to the general public are made