TJ Highline Project Do's & Don'ts

TJustin

Porch Dog
Supporting Member
Well despite @DAA being a grumpy old guy I ordered the cowl intake. Waiting on tracking.

On the bright side, fancy fenders show up tomorrow from Brown Santa and I'll be mounting and balancing the new wheels and tires tomorrow as well.
Which fenders is brown Santa bringing you?

ebryson

So now for the big question... Spend the money on Powder Coat, or do a good rattlecan job for easy repairs....?

On another note. I'm very pleased with how well these are put together. Most of the welds are damn good and the less than damn good are still pretty good.
View attachment 169012
I actually painted mine the color of my Jeep because I like that look better. On that note it also made my hood that I had painted several years ago look realllly sun faded.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I actually painted mine the color of my Jeep because I like that look better. On that note it also made my hood that I had painted several years ago look realllly sun faded.
Ya I don't even want to think of how it would be if I paint matched them to the stock color. The scratches and fading would become extremely obvious.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Does it have more of a Matte or Gloss finish (I Hate glossy finishes.)

I also used in on the front axle I built for my TJ-

1969honda

Supporting Member
Acid Etch prime, then thinned and tinted raptor liner. Should wear well and not have a super aggressive bed liner finish. A few people that saw our tj in person thought last year it was just orange peeled powder coat.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I think I'm gonna try the Steel-it the Greg mentioned and see how that pans out. If it doesn't than I'll probably go to the powder coat.

Acid Etch prime, then thinned and tinted raptor liner. Should wear well and not have a super aggressive bed liner finish. A few people that saw our tj in person thought last year it was just orange peeled powder coat.
I did think about the Bed Liner before and was unsure about how well it would look.

J-mobzz

I think I'm gonna try the Steel-it the Greg mentioned and see how that pans out. If it doesn't than I'll probably go to the powder coat.

I did think about the Bed Liner before and was unsure about how well it would look.
I have a few quarts of tintable raptor liner and harder with some dark gray metallic color you’re welcome to have for free if you want it. You can reduce it with a urethane reducer and spray it out of an HVLP for a much smoother finish. In fact, I have a spray gun with a 2.8 tip. That’s perfect for that you could borrow too. But if you go that route, you’re definitely going to want to use a self etching primer first.

SoopaHick

Certified Weld Judger
I have a few quarts of tintable raptor liner and harder with some dark gray metallic color you’re welcome to have for free if you want it. You can reduce it with a urethane reducer and spray it out of an HVLP for a much smoother finish. In fact, I have a spray gun with a 2.8 tip. That’s perfect for that you could borrow too. But if you go that route, you’re definitely going to want to use a self etching primer first.
I may take you up on that!
I've already ordered the Steel-it and am curious enough to want to try it. Especially for the fender Brackets. Though it might be cool to Steel-it the Brackets and Raptor line the Fenders...