To the bird and bunny lovers, and the tree huggers, and the rock lickers!

DAA

Business as usual. Both sides have valid points. Both sides are also full of bull, pitching woo and spouting utter nonsense to move their partisan agenda. We all get screwed in the process. And neither side gives a rip about our best interests. Only their own special interest dollar driven directives.

Rinse and repeat. If you missed this one, sit tight, another episode will be airing soon.

- DAA

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I went to Rushmore this spring, they had an area where they talked about how they've thinned and removed trees that the pine beetles have killed, showed before/after pictures, and had areas where you can see they have thinned vs haven't. Any tree hugger/rock licker would be insane to say the areas didn't benefit.

ID Bronco

I went to Rushmore this spring, they had an area where they talked about how they've thinned and removed trees that the pine beetles have killed, showed before/after pictures, and had areas where you can see they have thinned vs haven't. Any tree hugger/rock licker would be insane to say the areas didn't benefit.

I have seen this, locals said they used prisoners to do the work. Not sure it it's true, but the forest was awesome.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member

I've seen this in Montana as well.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins

Different agencies, so different management policies.

And letting Yellowstone burn was far from a disaster.

As Eric points out, the Yellowstone fires of 1988 were far from disastrous to the parks ecosystem; many coniferous trees will only spread their seeds if a fire comes through. And now, 29 years later, the areas that burned are thriving. In fact, they were starting to thrive only a few years after the fires. Now, I'm not saying that we shouldn't allow logging of dead pines and forest thinning, but fire is not always a bad thing. This one, being caused by man, is unfortunate and should be fought with vigor and the firefighters who are down there are doing what they are supposed to be doing, protecting lives and property. But when a fire gets to be this size and there is this much fuel, which lets face it even with thinning efforts we'd still have a ton down there, thats all they can hope to do. This fire is going to burn to it's natural conclusion and in some ways, the land is going to benefit from it.

Last edited:

johngottfredson

Threat Level Midnight
And letting Yellowstone burn was far from a disaster.

To the extent that Yellowstone was even a bad thing was due to decades of fire suppression. If too much deadwood builds up due to suppression the fires get hotter than they otherwise would, and damage trees that typically survive or kill roots that would typically sprout right up. Ask any professional forester, and they are clapping when fires burn. But Governors and other political types don't want to hear it, and override the forest managers.

It is absolutely baffling to me that logging of dead and dying trees is opposed by anyone. Same principle as the need for a good game management plan - hunting keeps herds healthy. Get over the emotion, let the land managers manage.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
We spent a week on the outskirts of Yosemite wondering each day if we'd be allowed back to our camper. Smoke made all my pictures suck.