toilet ???????

Bucking Bronco

I am single with 5 bathrooms in my home. I am tired of cleaning them just because of water marks. I would like to clean, drain and shut the water off to 3 of them but I have been told that gasses can come up from the line if no water in them.

Solutions???

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
Just add water to the bowls once per week to keep the water seal intact. You could probably add a layer of vegetable oil on top of the water to keep evaporation to a minimum.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=04NFA12CQRVF0JATMHDP

they work great, you may need to walk around and flush on occasion. (or dump a bit of bleach in each toilet you aren't going to use for a while).

X2, I use the mon-blue ones though. My last house had 3 bathrooms and I'm single and only ever used one. I had one go bathroom go unused for a while and the water disappeared from the bowl completely, whether it was from evaporation or trickling down who knows, but a toilet without any water in it will let the sewer stink come tight up into the bathroom ha.

Those bleach tablets go in the tank and they will make it so you dont have to constantly clean the water rings, but you will need to flush each toilet every once in a while (two weeks or so) to keep water level up.

That's the only thing I can think of aside from getting one of those inflatable plumbers bladders to stuff inside the toilet to keep the sewer pipe from having direct air breathing ha.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
In a typical toilet, the water in the bowl is the trap that prevents sewer gasses from getting into the house. If you don't replace the toilets with something that is designed to do that function while dry then you must keep the water in the bowl. Vegetable oil would dry up and gunk on the sides. Mineral oil would be less prone to this. And on a strange note, swimming pool supply houses have an odd liquid product (in some floating thing) that claims to keep a pool warmer. It does this by forming a molecule thick layer on top of the water that prevents evaporation. If you stop the evaporation, you keep the water in the bowl without the ring (due to minerals solidifying during evap). I return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

Or just go flush them on occasion as has been mentioned.

BlueWolfFab

Running Behind
If you do that though, and if you have a dog, keep the lid closed. I have to consciously remember to close the lid so my dog doesn't drink from the toilet.