Toroweap Overlook info wanted

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
I'm down here in St. George looking for something to do. I've tried in the past to get to the Toroweap Overlook area of the Colorado River, and was thinking about making that attempt again. However, the information I have suggests that this may not be possible this time of year when the roads are wet. If you have some first hand information about the road condition and/or suggested routes, I'd appreciate the information.

DaveB

Long Jeep Fan
We went out last year and it was a long 80+ miles of graded road. It was dry when we went but many spots had gravel added to them. Those spots should be fine but I'm not sure what the rest of the road is like when wet. The view is fantastic.

Attachments

• IMGP2197.jpg
    IMGP2197.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 9

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Looks like we were in the same spot Dave! ;)

Toroweep-Overlook.png

Whitmore Overlook is also quite spectacular:

Whitmore-Overlook.png

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
Thanks all of you for the good info. We will also be stopping by the ranger station here in St. George for any info they can give us. I think we'll probably give it a go. I'm just a bit concerned if something were to happen because my wife has a lot of health issues and I don't want to get stranded and have to worry about her as well.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I was out that way Sunday and there was lots of snow and mud.

If you take the road east of Pipe Springs you should be alright, but I wouldn't recommend the road going over Mt. Trumbull.

Wasatch Rebel

Man of the mountains
We tried it yesterday. We made it about 27 miles before deciding it might be best to turn around. We had reached a stretch where the melting snow had turned the road into a muddy track with streams running down it. If I would've been with a guy, I probably would've tried to go further and likely would have got stuck, but my better (and usually wiser) half was worried, and since the road looked likely to get worse, rather than better, I decided to come back and do it again another day. Maybe I'll have some MT tires instead of the ATs I currently have by then.

I wanted to add that up to that point in the trip, the road had been mostly drying out, with occasional mud puddles, so it's getting there if we don't get another snow storm up there.

Last edited: