Tow Rig Choices

KToy

Hi There

So I am looking at using a 07 Tacoma 6 speed manual to tow my 95 4Runner or a 07 v8 4Runner. They both claim that they can tow enough weight but it seems crazy to me to think a small vehicle like that could tow a another rig to Moab. I have seen both tow I have seen a V8 Jeep Cherokee tow a rig as well.

So I am curious if anyone has used or seen either of these 2 towing a rockcrawler.

Thanks

KToy

Toad

I think I would take the expedition over a taco or 4runner. Just a larger heavier vehicle. I have a sequoia that I have thought about towing my Jeep with. Sure it is rated to tow well past what the jeep weighs but I would not want to be in a panic situation with the Sequoia.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I would take the expedition over the taco any day. Just like was said...its a bigger heavier vehicle.

All these rigs WILL require trailer brakes.

They will all do the job. Its the panic situation where things happen. You blow a trailer tire and the trailer starts to whippin around......your tow rig doesnt have enough weight to hold its own.

I have some friends that used to pull their 66 Bronco on 38s with a 95ish Bronco. 4 Moab trips with no issues...Then on the 5th trip. On the way home a trailer tire let go just past point of the mountain. Trailer started swaying and believe it or not they ended up doing a full 360 on the freeway and ended up in the median. Never hit anything else luckily but the very next day he was shopping for a F350 that was designed for towing.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I have a coworker that hauls his 4runner down behind his Tacoma, he added air bags to help level the Tacoma and says it does great. I believe his is a 2005.

blznnp

On the way home a trailer tire let go just past point of the mountain. Trailer started swaying and believe it or not they ended up doing a full 360 on the freeway and ended up in the median. Never hit anything else luckily but the very next day he was shopping for a F350 that was designed for towing.
that would have scared the crap out of me, lucky they didn't hit anything else.

flexyfool

GDW
Safe enough for occasional towing at the posted speed limit and in good weather and in easy traffic. You're going to need the following: light quality trailer, trailer brakes, weight distributing hitch, and air bags.

LT.

Hi There

So I am looking at using a 07 Tacoma 6 speed manual to tow my 95 4Runner or a 07 v8 4Runner. They both claim that they can tow enough weight but it seems crazy to me to think a small vehicle like that could tow a another rig to Moab. I have seen both tow I have seen a V8 Jeep Cherokee tow a rig as well.

So I am curious if anyone has used or seen either of these 2 towing a rockcrawler.

Thanks

KToy

will it tow it?

ya

will it be safe?

not really

This is great advise and an excellent answer. A tundra can pull the space shuttle through town. It would not be able to stop it and could only pull it very slowly. Not safely.

LT.

Bart

Not sure if you're hearing what everyone is saying. Can you get away with it? Yes maybe, for a while. Is it safe? No.

If you are looking for someone to say this is a good thing, I don't believe you will find it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
out of the two I would go with the expedition. I would think the tacoma would pull faster, but not safer.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Have I seen a Taco towing a crawler? Yes.
Did I pass him and get as far away from that accident waiting to happen? Yes.

Additionally, I wouldn't trust such a small rear axle to tow for any long distance.

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
there are plenty of nice, cheap, safe tow rigs to be had. If you tow with tacoma it is not safe plus all the wear and tear is not going to treat that truck nicely

Houndoc

Keep in mind too the passes etc you having towing anywhere in Utah. Most tow ratings are based on flat ground. Up and down the hills changes the equation quickly.