Tow Rig Talk - Gauge Installation

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I've just picked up 3 gauges for my '01 Dodge CTD. Auto Trans Temperature, Boost, and Pyro. What I'm looking for is hints and tips to make this installation go smooth.

This is kind of the idea I have got from reading some of the material: For the Pyro I need to drill and weld in a bung... question is, do I do this before or after the turbo? Looks easier to do before the turbo, but it makes more sense to me to do it after... ?

The boost seems easy. I just need to drill and tap a small hole for the tube just before the intake, on the cast elbow... correct?

Transmission Temp: This one I haven't even really read anything about. Are there any existing ports that I can just plug the probe into? What's the story with the transmission temp probe?

As always, thanks in advance for anything you guys can tell me. :)

kirk86CJ

We are planning on putting a tranny temp guage on my dads Dodge.

I put one on my '94 Chev by drilling a hole on the flat spot on the pan (they make a place to put a drain) Then I bought a black pipe nipple and cut it in half - The guage I got would thread inside the nipple. I then removed, and drilled a hole in the pan and welded the nipple to the pan (to make a drain) Then I just use the guage for the plug. This way, I can change my fluid often (without dropping it all) I know I should do the filter, but I plan on changing the fluid once a year (or whenever it gets hot)

We will do the dodge the same way. Seems like I heard that the pass side rear corner would be a good spot.

I don't know anything about the other guages.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
I have heard that pre-turbo is more accurate for reading temperatures.
Funny you heard that, Caterpillar Cummins and Detroit all put the pyro post-turbo just in case the thermocoupler falls apart, which might take out your turbo if it is installed upstream...

...Just thought I would represent both sides of that argument... :hickey:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Hickey said:
Funny you heard that, Caterpillar Cummins and Detroit all put the pyro post-turbo just in case the thermocoupler falls apart, which might take out your turbo if it is installed upstream...

Thanks for those links, those help a lot! Interesting thought about the Pyro. I just might put it in after the turbo now that you mention that.

One of those links showed a location to run the Boost, which is good. I can deal with that.

I've heard that you get a better reading if you install the temp gauge on the out-going line on the transmission as opposed to the pan. I'm wondering if there are any other places that are commonly used to tap in for the probe?

tv_larsen

Herzog said:
Awesome, thanks guys. I'm learning quite a bit about my good ol CTD.

Check out this heated discussion about Pyro probe placement:
http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&perpage=15&highlight=pyro gauge&pagenumber=1

:eek: :)

Thats a great thread. My conclusion, is post turbo probe is fine for stock engines, but it becomes more unreliable as engine mods increase.

If you consider how much the internet sites have blown up the KDP (killer dowel pin) issue, you'd think that if people were having problems with probes falling into the turbo we'd hear about it.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Now I'm just trying to figure out how I want to do the transmission probe.

From reading various forums many recommend putting the probe in the hot line coming out of the transmission... however, just as many claim that putting the probe in the pan would be work just as well, depending on which guage you have.

Putting the probe in the hot line seems like it wouldn't be to bad, especially if I picked up this part from Dodge: part# 5011244 aa /tube oil 7014002; which is a hot line for a '94 47RE with a check port that the probe will fit in.

I also read that there is an internal sender already in the transmission. Is there anyway to utilize this?

Cody - how did you hook up your tranny gauge?

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I can only speak from Caterpiller expierence, but the only Cat engines I know of monitoring post-turbo temp also monitor pre-turbo temp. Pre-turbo temp is what you want to monitor, post-turbo is more likely to catch a problem downstream, like a plugged converter. Pre-turbo will also catch this, just not quite as quickly.
Contrary to popular belief (or what the salesmen will say), the turbo uses energy to create boost. This energy is in the form of heat. The exhaust gas entering the turbo will be quite a bit hotter then the gas exiting the turbo. Post turbo readings tend to be quite stable, where as pre turbo temps will vary greatly. If at all possible, monitor the pre-turbo temp. Oh, and in 25+ years of wrenching on these greasy pigs, I've NEVER seen a thermocouple come apart! (unless a piece of exhaust valve caused it).

Just my penny and a half, the govenment took the other half cent. :D

Hickey said:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
BCGPER said:
I can only speak from Caterpiller expierence, but the only Cat engines I know of monitoring post-turbo temp also monitor pre-turbo temp. Pre-turbo temp is what you want to monitor, post-turbo is more likely to catch a problem downstream, like a plugged converter. Pre-turbo will also catch this, just not quite as quickly.
Contrary to popular belief (or what the salesmen will say), the turbo uses energy to create boost. This energy is in the form of heat. The exhaust gas entering the turbo will be quite a bit hotter then the gas exiting the turbo. Post turbo readings tend to be quite stable, where as pre turbo temps will vary greatly. If at all possible, monitor the pre-turbo temp. Oh, and in 25+ years of wrenching on these greasy pigs, I've NEVER seen a thermocouple come apart! (unless a piece of exhaust valve caused it).

Just my penny and a half, the govenment took the other half cent. :D

Excellent info. Thanks! I am planing on running it Pre turbo. :)

tv_larsen

Herzog said:
Now I'm just trying to figure out how I want to do the transmission probe.

From reading various forums many recommend putting the probe in the hot line coming out of the transmission... however, just as many claim that putting the probe in the pan would be work just as well, depending on which guage you have.

Putting the probe in the hot line seems like it wouldn't be to bad, especially if I picked up this part from Dodge: part# 5011244 aa /tube oil 7014002; which is a hot line for a '94 47RE with a check port that the probe will fit in.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233650
Here's a clean install on an '03 or '04 48RE but I believe the 47RE or 47RH ('94 would be an RH) would be the same. I don't know which method is the best, but I tend to lean towards the pan install or this one.

Herzog said:
Oh... and if anybody needs some gauges for their tow rig, give cruiseroutfit a call. /shameless plug :D
Hey Kurt, what ch'a got? Looking for set of Isspro's and and a triple pod, maybe even an a-pillar pod for a '98 Ram w/tweeter.

TEAM FRED

Guages

First off don't install them! They will scare you.
But if you do install them post turbo may be a better answer due to the fact most pyros read 1500 - 1600 degrees and pre turbo 1500 is very easy to reach with injectors and chips.
Difference in temp from post to pre is aprox 250 degrees
Good luck