Tow Rig Talk - Gauge Installation

MR.CJ-7

Your Realtor
I installed my pyro pre-turbo(powerstorker). I thought about post turbo because of the broken probe hype. I couldn't find anyone who had this happen to them. So I went pre-turbo for more accurate readings. The install was very easy. I don't weld so I drilled and tapped the exhaust manifold. I left the truck running while I drilled it because I read it helps to force any metal shavings out instead of letting them fall in the pipe then sending them through the turb when you start it up. I don't know how big of deal it is or again if it's just hype. I drilled mine with the correct size bit, no pilot drilling, to keep shavings to a minimum. I dipped the bit in grease to try to collect any shavings.

For the boost gauge I just tapped into the MAP sensor line with a "T" rather than tapping the intercooler manifold.

I didn't install the trans temp since mine is a manual.

All in all an easy project, with more detail work to make it look good than technical work.

I easily hit 1200 pre turbo and 18 psi boost when loaded with camper and boat or Jeep . My truck is bone stock and I can sure tell where the pcm limits the boost. It climbs very quickly to 18 then just stops there. Hmmm...chip time?

tv_larsen

TEAM FRED said:
First off don't install them! They will scare you.
But if you do install them post turbo may be a better answer due to the fact most pyros read 1500 - 1600 degrees and pre turbo 1500 is very easy to reach with injectors and chips.
Difference in temp from post to pre is aprox 250 degrees
Good luck

If you're reaching 1500 degrees pre-turbo, you've got more to worry about than your gauge reaching it's limit. :ugh: