Tow strap Repair?

I hope I'm not just being disagreeable, but I disagree with the consensus here.

If the rest of the material is in good shape and you personally know about it's history, I would sew it up. I would do some common-sense decision making about thread material, stitch pattern and tightness as well as number of stitches by looking at other straps. I'm not an expert in this area, but give me 10 minute on google and I bet I would find that i need to use polyester thread and the thread pattern, size, and stitch count is available out there.

This is not unlike any other kind of repairs or construction that any number of us make on a daily basis. How many have built or repaired a trailer without engineer-approved plans? Sure, we practice welding, then copy or enhance a model that we know is engineered adequately. How many of us drive a rig with lug nuts that aren't torqued with a torque wrench? How many have serviced their own brakes?

If you are really concerned about the safety of your recovery equipment, I would say that inspection of fraying/wear and age of the product combined with time in the sun are the major factors affecting safety. Any climber will likely know that the strength of soft goods (straps, slings, and rope) are severely compromised by UV, but also by age and dirt. My tow straps are well cared for, but all are over 10 years old, so if you are hanging off a cliff, maybe choose someone else's strap. :)

sabatoa1

I am wondering why you can not just tie a hoop in the end? With a proper knot it will be just as strong if not stronger than the stitching. I have done this on tons of straps and use them all the time. I have never broken a strap that I have tied a loop in the end.

R

rockdog

I promise to never pull any of you guys with my straps! They are just plain ugly and well used because of my poor driving abilities!!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
I wrap frayed parts with duck or gorilla tape and take broken ends to a tent or tarp shop and have it resewn. Towed another scout out of Hole in the Wall canyon at Death Valley and still using the strap.

I use a lighter on the frayed end. Melt it a little and it won't fray.

jeeper

DumpStor Owner
Anytime you tie a knot in a rope, you weaken it; in drop tests and pull tests, a rope typically breaks at the knot. The strongest tie-in knot you can use is the figure-eight follow-through, which, when pull-tested, breaks at 75 to 80 percent of the rope’s full strength.

^from interwebs..

Stitching is stronger than a knot. The best knots approach 80% of original rope strength. If you had the patience to splice webbing, that might be stronger. The best stitching will be stronger than the original webbing.

sabatoa1

I am not sure how a knot would weaken the rope, but I believe that you guys have extensive knowledge on the subject or you would not be posting it. I am going to look into this and see what kind of testing has been done and the results.

sabatoa1

I found that you all are correct, by wrapping the rope or strap around its self you are losing tensile strength in the fibers. I talked to a guy at U.S. Cargo Control and he explain to me about how the stitching lets the strap use the flexibility of the fibers, and a knot will bind them in one spot creating a weak point.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I can sew it up for ya . They can be re-sewn to be even stonger than before. I fix a few every week. Mostly truckers that break the big ratchet straps .

This looks like the best option to me if teraflex won't warranty it. I think they will.

If not then I would tie a nice well dressed figure 8 knot.

thenag

sixstringsteve;944370 A new strap is $20-30. Think about how much we spend on our vehicles said:
OP said tera strap, on their website it has the strap listed at $60.00. If you have a line on $30.00 good straps PM me I will buy some.

(your point is still valid $60.00 for something that if it fails could be fatal is still pretty low)

I say buy a new one, sew or tie this one and use it for when you won't be pulling hard on it. (dragging a non-running vehicle back to the parking lot, etc)

Nathan

sixstringsteve

Yes, one is "better" or at least different than another. A snatch strap is not the same thing as a tow strap. They are used differently from each other.

Last edited:

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
OP said tera strap, on their website it has the strap listed at $60.00. If you have a line on $30.00 good straps PM me I will buy some.

(your point is still valid $60.00 for something that if it fails could be fatal is still pretty low)

I say buy a new one, sew or tie this one and use it for when you won't be pulling hard on it. (dragging a non-running vehicle back to the parking lot, etc)

Nathan

http://alljeep.com/recovery-trail-gear-tow-strap-20