Towing a car hauler (Jeep) with a slide-in camper

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Your straps are pretty angled. Thats going to allow a little rocking of the camper. If you went straight down it would hold a bit better.. but like you said, probably not an big deal.

They're not ideal, but it seems solid. I'm more worried about the camper not lifting and moving while driving on the freeway. For now, this is the best I can do. I'll get some proper Torklift turnbuckles soon.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
They're not ideal, but it seems solid. I'm more worried about the camper not lifting and moving while driving on the freeway. For now, this is the best I can do. I'll get some proper Torklift turnbuckles soon.

I should have some of those but have only run across them once since I moved. I'll post up if I find them

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I have a pair of the EZ ones but they might be too long for your application

Greg

Admin
I have a pair of the EZ ones but they might be too long for your application

The camper came with a set of long Torklift turnbuckles, meant for frame mounts. I'll need to see what options I have for mounting. May be possible to just weld mounts to the bottom of the camper and bolt it to the bed.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
The camper came with a set of long Torklift turnbuckles, meant for frame mounts. I'll need to see what options I have for mounting. May be possible to just weld mounts to the bottom of the camper and bolt it to the bed.
If they're the ones I'm thinking of (Fastgun) they're pretty easy to shorten. They're just made from square tube. I cut the top off, shortened the tube, welded back together. Obviously limited by how long the threaded hook part is....

Greg

Admin
If they're the ones I'm thinking of (Fastgun) they're pretty easy to shorten. They're just made from square tube. I cut the top off, shortened the tube, welded back together. Obviously limited by how long the threaded hook part is....

Mine aren't the Fastguns, the square body is fairly long, so I'm not sure how well it will fit with the flat bed and whatever mounts I figure out.

20231101_101348.jpg

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Mine aren't the Fastguns, the square body is fairly long, so I'm not sure how well it will fit with the flat bed and whatever mounts I figure out.

View attachment 165991
Not quite the same as what I have. Mine have a latch at one end of the square tube.

Still, I'm sure you can shorten the tube if you want, just don't know if you can go short enough to work or not. 🙂

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
Upgraded the tow rig to a CM skirted bed and some made-to-order boxes to fill in between the camper and bed. Also using stake pocket tie downs. This combo will give us a ton of extra storage.

First time getting it all loaded up since getting the boxes installed and wiring finished. Will be using a 42 inch hitch extension and weight distributing hitch to tow the trailer with the jeep on it.

Camper1.jpg

Greg

Admin
Upgraded the tow rig to a CM skirted bed and some made-to-order boxes to fill in between the camper and bed. Also using stake pocket tie downs. This combo will give us a ton of extra storage.

First time getting it all loaded up since getting the boxes installed and wiring finished. Will be using a 42 inch hitch extension and weight distributing hitch to tow the trailer with the jeep on it.

View attachment 170309

Love it!

Pile of parts

View attachment 170309
In this picture, your overhang doesn't look that long. I'm surprised you'll need a 42 inch extension. Great set-up!

Mouse

Trying to wheel
Supporting Member
I'll get some pictures with the trailer hooked up when I get it ready for EJS. There is a "porch" on the NL campers that sticks out a bit at the back. This darn weather needs to warm up. I'm running a Torklift supertruss on a Torklift Magnum 30K hitch. With the WD hitch and extension, it is rated at 12000 lbs.

I don't know how I never saw this thread. This is my favorite rig by far. It's light, nimble and goes most places. (for a tow rig).

Here's what I learned. .....Air bags are a must, good shocks are critical, good brakes are a must! Hitch extensions sucks but if you're competent they can be used within reason. Pop ups are cool but be prepared to battle the lift actuators.

I have hauled this setup all over the place and have absolutely loved it. IMG_4875.jpg

IMG_4881.jpgIMG_5104.jpgIMG_5722.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4881.jpg
    IMG_4881.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_5106.jpg
    IMG_5106.jpg
    458.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5722.jpg
    IMG_5722.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 5

Gawynz

@crimsonride do you ever offload the camper at a spot while camping? If so, how do you support it? I recently picked up a Palomino 550 soft side and when i go to the lake I'd like to not break down the camper every morning to dump the boat. My thought is if I'm anywhere for a few days and not moving camp I'd like to unload it; my current plan is to build a couple steel foldable saw horse style supports for underneath as well as a simple support for the over cab portion. Curious if anyone on here has recommendations?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
@crimsonride do you ever offload the camper at a spot while camping? If so, how do you support it? I recently picked up a Palomino 550 soft side and when i go to the lake I'd like to not break down the camper every morning to dump the boat. My thought is if I'm anywhere for a few days and not moving camp I'd like to unload it; my current plan is to build a couple steel foldable saw horse style supports for underneath as well as a simple support for the over cab portion. Curious if anyone on here has recommendations?
When I drop my camper like that, I just leave it on the jacks. I do lower it as far as I can.

Yes I do. I just lift it off the truck and leave it on the jacks. I do it all the time. We’ve camped in it on the jacks lots of times and it’s plenty stable.

Just find a fairly level area to pull out from under it. Takes about 15 minutes once you get good at it.