towing doubles

Nate R

It's derby season!
what is the legal limit on a truck, fifth wheel, car hauler. I used to pull a set of double belly dumps but that is a little different because there is permits for that :D

Nate R

It's derby season!
demon jeep said:
It can be bumper pull ( if you are stupid) And be under, ah crap I for got I will look it up in my law book for you.

I reg cab long bed truck 23 ft fifth wheel 18 ft car hauler prolly cloes to 65ish
feet

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
61" double trailer combinations, Measured from teh front of the first trailer to the rear of the second trailer. There is no overall length limitation on a truck tractor and double trailer combination when the trailers couple together measure 61 ft or less. no more then (3) three vehical combinations allowed on secondary roads.

65" truck trailer combination measured from bumper to bumper.

Sounds like you wold fall in the 61". there are a couple other stuff that you need to look at?

Last edited:

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
demon jeep said:
It can be bumper pull ( if you are stupid) And be under, ah crap I for got I will look it up in my law book for you.

61" law 72-7-402 (c)

65" law 72-7-402 (d)

theres the codes if you have acsesse to a code book?

Last edited:

Nate R

It's derby season!
Portrnr said:
61" double trailer combinations, Measured from teh front of the first trailer to the rear of the second trailer. There is no overall length limitation on a truck tractor and double trailer combination when the trailers couple together measure 61 ft or less. no more then (3) three vehical combinations allowed on secondary roads.

65" truck trailer combination measured from bumper to bumper.

Sounds like you wold fall in the 61". there are a couple other stuff that you need to look at?

:cool: so the measure from the king pin in the fifth wheel to the back of the rear trailer or very front to very back I'm just want to make sure it is legal :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
nate13 said:
:cool: so the measure from the king pin in the fifth wheel to the back of the rear trailer or very front to very back I'm just want to make sure it is legal :D
Very front of the trailer to the very back of the trailer.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
Hickey said:
Very front of the trailer to the very back of the trailer.

Correct.

Most likely your hitch or kingpin is going to be your farthest forward part of the trailer with 5th wheel. Make sure to measure everything tunge and all on the second trailer.

I'm sure no one is going to stop you for any of this most of teh uhp troopers don't know these kindof things and maybe one deputy depending on county of course knows all these laws. but if your commercal then you need alot more stuff. Another thing you can get dinged on is your registered weight you need to register your tow rig for how much weight your going to be carrying or hauling if your registation just says 0 then UT automaticly gives you 12,000 LBS. like i said the chances of you getting caught are slim but if you do this stuff can get pricy pretty dang quik.

nate13 said:

Dunno why even worry about the 61' rule, since the 65' rule will limit you first.

Whatcha gonna haul?

Flat towed a high-hood flatty once with a popup behind it. No prob, 'cept my cam went flat pullin' in to Moab.

Brett (has considered pullin' a camper behind the jeep trailer)

Get Me wired said:
And while we're on the subject lets not forget about 41-6-53.5 2a which says you need to stay out of the left general purpose lane went there are 3 or more general purpose lanes.

Amen!

Wonder if 3c can include avoiding collisions with people going too slow (passing)

:D :D :D

3) Subsection (2) does not apply to a person operating a vehicle who is:
(a) preparing to turn left or taking a highway split or exit on the left;
(b) responding to emergency conditions;
(c) avoiding actual or potential traffic moving onto the highway from an acceleration or merging lane; or

The one I wish they'd enforce is the "get the hell out of the left lane rule"

41-6-55. Overtaking and passing vehicles proceeding in same direction.
(2) On a highway having more than one lane in the same direction, the operator of a vehicle traveling in a left general purpose lane:
(a) shall, upon being overtaken by another vehicle in the same lane, yield to the overtaking vehicle by moving safely to a lane to the right; and
(b) may not impede the movement or free flow of traffic in a left general purpose lane or except:
(i) when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction in accordance with Subsection (1)(a);
(ii) when preparing to turn left or taking a highway split or exit on the left;
(iii) when responding to emergency conditions;
(iv) to avoid actual or potential traffic moving onto the highway from an acceleration or merging lane; or
(v) when following direction signs that direct use of a designated lane.

Kris K

4x4 Addict!
I'm sure all he cared about was the length regulations. I would hope he would never try to be in the inside lane hauling the set up he has.