• Air bags: A must for the trip

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Air bags: Not needed for trip

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
I may have an "opportunity" to deliver my BIL's FJ40 to his place in FL, a 2,500 mile trip. I have questions concerning my 2008 Toyota Sequoia for the job.

Truck specs:
  • 2008 Sequoia
  • 7,000 GVW
  • 9,700lb tow capacity
  • 5.7lt V8
  • 6sp transmission
  • Tow/haul mode
  • 305/45R22 Dynapro ATM tires (5 ply: 2 steel, 2 polyester, 1 nylon) rated XL (passenger) and has max psi of 50psi
  • Sequoia is the equivalent of the Tundra from the B pillar forward, and full box frame with IRS
  • We'd have approx 1,000lb of people/luggage inside the truck

FJ40 dry weight: 3,250lbs
Trailer: appox 1,500lbs
Total approx tow weight: 4,750lbs

Questions:

1) Do we think that my tires are up to the task of towing a 5,000lb load 2,500 miles? They're great tires, suited for all weather conditions and are relatively new - so I'd like to use them if the general consensus feels that they'd work fine.

2) Do we think that a trailer brake controller is a must, or not a huge deal?

3) Do we think that rear air bags are a must, or not a huge deal?

Last edited:

RogueJeepr

Here!
I'd be worried about keeping the trans cool. Tow/haul on all the time and stay at 65mph, just easier on equipment.
It may be better to rent a truck to haul it with. That way your not killing your own vehicle in the process.
Dosent sound like much of an opportunity to me. Unless im getting paid.
If it's drivable, that may make a cool road trip.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Does the trailer have brakes? I think a brake controller would be wise coming out of the mountains as well as any emergency stops, if there are brakes on the trailer. Those Toyota 5.7's are monsters, with almost 10k#'s of tow capacity you won't be stressing the Sequoia much at all.

I don't think air bags will be needed with the weight, but it's hard to say without seeing it loaded up. Again, 5000 #'s isn't too much. Do Sequoias have coil springs in the rear or leafs? Coils will settle more, IMO.

Long as the tires are rated for the vehicle, I don't know why they wouldn't be fine. Matter of fact, the 22" wheels have less sidewall and won't deflect much with a towed load compared to smaller wheels.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I think a brake controller would be nice, but other than that, if that load is as light as you say it is, I don't see why you'd have any problems pulling it.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
Could you load it up and pull it around now, BEFORE you try to drive 2500 miles? Seems like that would tell you a bunch.

frieed

Jeepless in Draper
Supporting Member
From my experience towing about 8200lbs travel trailer with my F150.

Tires: you should be fine if they are sufficient for the max GVW of the SUV, but max out the pressure.

Brake Controller: In my book; Absolute must have. That is a fairly low profile load so the wind resistance won't be all that high. I've pulled a 3500lb pop-up camper and it had a far greater tendency to make the truck run away on downhill since it wasn't pushing a wall of wind out of the way like a full size travel trailer. I'm also guessing that in most states, at that weight, working brakes might be required by law. Try a couple panic stops in a safe area to convince yourself. Does the sequoia have the option for an integrated controller? The one on my truck works far better than any aftermarket controller I've used.

Air Bags: Not really a must. You can squat a bit for a single trip. Also remember, they just level the vehicle, but don't add to the axle capacity :).

As said above, tow/haul mode is your friend, it moves shift points to higher RPMs, tries to keep the torque converter locked to keep the tranny cooler, and mine automates engine braking.
Your gas mileage will suck so slow down, besides, most trailer specific tires are only rated for 65MPH.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Add brake controller and go. I'll also second, load up and tow around town just to see how it does--add airbags or an equalizer hitch if necessary.

Caleb

Get a brake controller for sure. They're relatively inexpensive, even for a nice one. A brake controller is good for more than just E-Stops and steep hills. I'd personally add either a equalizer hitch or air bags for a trip that far but you will be fine without them, it just won't handle quite a nice. Your Sequoia will handle that load without any issues. I also agree with go hitch it up now and go take it for a loop (up Provo Canyon, down Parleys and back on the freeway or similar depending on where you'd be starting from). That would give you an idea of climbing, descending, and freeway driving.

Kirk

I have an old equalizer hitch setup that came with a travel trailer we bought, and I didn't give it to the guy that bought the trailer. It is a fixed height (welded) about a 2" drop. Probably a 6K-8K model, but I don't know - currently has a 2 5/16" ball on it. I have all the parts - you can borrow it if you want - not sure if you will get lucky and the height will be right.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I think brake controller is a must. I would also go for an equalizer hitch for your comfort for such a long drive. It will make a big difference in ride quality.

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
if you put the FJ on the trailer right most the weight will be on the trailer tires not the pull vehicles. pull it up on the trailer and watch the tongue and try to keep the trailer level but with just a bit more on the front then the rear. If the trailer fish tails then pull the FJ more to the front.

AND GET THE TRAILER BRAKE!!!

Toad

Quick google search has your tire load rating at 2910@50 psi per tire. Tires will be fine. Brake controller is a MUST!!

On a side note use quality tie downs. I used to chain rigs down. That method sucks. Macs tie downs are super nice and easy to use.

Last edited:

Trate D

Sounds like you really shouldn't have any issues with your setup. Like everyone has said I think a brake controller would be a worthy addition. Also, unless it's your trailer and you know the history. I would do a fresh bearing pack and check out other potential issues with the trailer as well.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Definitely get a brake controller preferably one that is inertia based not timer based you will thank yourself.

In my opinion an Equalizer hitch would be a must for that long of a trip in a coil spring rear suspension vehicle. They tend to perpetuate that wiggle when it comes.

rholbrook

Brake controller is a must. Your bigger tires will not only raise your gearing (lower numerically) but affect your braking Now add your people, gear and pulling a trailer, do yourself a favor and install a brake controller. Chances are, you are probably prewired for it anyway. Anymore the wires are run for you, search the owners manual. Airbags? No, adjust your load on the trailer

Corban_White

I have a lightly used Tekonsha P3 I'd sell if you're interested. It was in my 2006 4runner until I sold it and got the f-150 with the brake controller built in.

Coco

What tire rating are they? With a max PSI of 50, they are likely D rated, which will be just fine. Another thing you can do, is take the air out of the tires, and replace it with nitrogen. This will help keep the tires cooler as well. Not a huge deal, but I do have it in my tires on my truck for a reason :D

If it were me, I would get a trailer brake controller (A MUST) and probably pump the tires up a bit more. Probably around 40 PSI. It might not be a bad idea to get some air bags, but depending on how much the suspension sags when loaded, may not be needed either.

I have no doubt in my mind that your sequoia will pull that load, my old employer pulled his built double cab tacoma with a 05-07 4runner with no problems. He did add air bags, and a brake controller, but other than that, no issues.

Last edited:

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I voted for the E-rated tires because I'm hoping that means you'd have to get different wheels as well.:p

But, as others have said, get a brake controller and make a test-tow or two. Then you should be G2G.

MOODY

Bald Guy
I have a lightly used Tekonsha P3 I'd sell if you're interested. It was in my 2006 4runner until I sold it and got the f-150 with the brake controller built in.

I have a wiring harness for the same brake controller that was for my Tundra. You can have it if you want it.