• Air bags: A must for the trip

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Air bags: Not needed for trip

Votes: 15 57.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

chicken77

throttle jockey
I tow my heavy pig of a crawler with a half ton truck, the key is to adjust your load properly. Your load should be split 60/40 over the axles with more tongue weight. And please use the proper weight rated tie downs and one at each corner, don't get cheap and try to use one on the rear, and remember to strap to the axles or wheels, not the body or bumpers! Here is a link to a Macs tie down video that can help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btRWr3OO-hs

Oh yeah, get a brake controller

Bart

After towing 10,000 lbs that far I would definitely add a brake controller. I had problems with the trailer brakes leaving West Virginia, and almost hit the road without them. We were most of the way home, just past Cheyenne, when we came around a blind corner and onto an accident blocking all west bound lanes of I80. I locked everything up and then started to pulse. We barely stopped in time. We would have been toast without them.

sawtooth4x4

Totally Awesome
You need trailer brakes. IF you have an emergency, and the way people drive around here in Utah, they are a must have. You never know when some stupid idiot is going to swerve in front of you slam on the brakes and cause you to slam on your brakes.

I would upgrade your tires.

Having owned a 1st gen sequoia, they are woefully underrated to tow anything. Maybe the second gens are better, but towing anything heavy with IRS just seems wrong. I tow cars atleast once a month and can tell you a truck built for towing is a lot less stressful.