Towing with a Dodge Durango?

rock4fun

I was just wondering if any one here has towed with a dodge durango I am looking at picking one up for my wife and thought it might make an ok back up tow rig. It is a 2001 5.9l with auto tranny I will be towing my toyota buggy that is around 2500 lbs give our take a little not more then 3000 on a 16' flat bed trailer.

Clutch

I towed my toyota for a couple years with a 2002. With the trailer we had at the time, it weighed about 6k. It towed it okay, bad gas mileage and slow up hills, but it towed it. For a back up maybe. Your buggy weigh less, so you should be okay. I will say, our 2002 pulled better then our 2006 with a Hemi.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I have a 2000 with a 5.9. Bad gas mileage but it pulls it fine on the flats. 75 to 80if I want. It does slow down on the hills though. I am pulling my 4500lb cherokee and 2000 lb 18 foot flat bed. It is my only way that I have towed mine and I am happy with it. Good luck.

Mope

I know it's not a durango, but I tow a sami on a 16 foot car hauler. My truck is a 98 rcsb truck with 5.9 and 4.10's. It tows it good but I'm at maybe 5000 pounds total. Like mentioned above, gas mileage sucks.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
You need to talk with Todd Adams on here. He's been towing with a Durango since dinosaurs roamed the earth, and it actually does a decent job.

Well, it seems that long anyways.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You need to talk with Todd Adams on here. He's been towing with a Durango since dinosaurs roamed the earth, and it actually does a decent job.

Well, it seems that long anyways.

What, no one can tow with a gasser!!! NEVER been done. If you did, you'd for sure hit a bus load of nuns with handicapped schoolchildren

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
we towed with a 1999 5.9. kicked butt. mileage wasn't great but it's got a big enough motor.

I occasionally tow my Jeep with my 98 5.9 ram van, it does fine, I get about 14mpg towing (it's 2wd) and I can do 70 up the point of the mountain.

I love the 5.9 motors!

rock4fun

Thanks for all the input I have made up my mind to go ahead and get it. thanks to you all. Now lets talk about performance upgrades for this same rig what are my options?

LT.

Last edited: