towing with durango or dakota Q's

tweakeyjeep

Soccer Mom
I wasn't telling you to buy the Durango, just clearing up somy foggy questions you might've had...

I think you should go with whatever is safest and budget wise... Good luck to ya. Keep us posted on what you get.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
real truck

okay lets say i could get my hands on a 3/4 ton dodge gas truck. is that better than a durango ot dakota? i am going to get a truck cause i found out my friends can get me a great deal at the auction. do you think dodge2500s are good? i am going to try to get a 5 spd but i doubt it will happen. there are tons of v10 5spds but i have heard they suck!!!!!!

what do ya think???

Caleb

xj_punk said:
okay lets say i could get my hands on a 3/4 ton dodge gas truck. is that better than a durango ot dakota? i am going to get a truck cause i found out my friends can get me a great deal at the auction. do you think dodge2500s are good? i am going to try to get a 5 spd but i doubt it will happen. there are tons of v10 5spds but i have heard they suck!!!!!!

what do ya think???

imo, a 3/4 ton is 100% better than the 1/2 tons you have been considering...with the 2500 you will hardly even know your jeep is behind ya...I have towed with my bosses (2500, V10, auto) quite a few times and I like it but his auto is starting to puke and he has already put a new motor in it (at 90K)...the motor was about $7K to have done because they had to send his off to Dodge to get rebuilt, there wasn't a rebuild or reman in the country at the time...something to think about...

BBowski82

What are you looking at?
Are you a Mopar only man or what?? If not, why not consider your other options?? Chevy makes a pretty sturdy GAS tow rig that can be found for cheap....of course I would go with the CTD. But it sounds as if you are set on a gas rig???

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
xj_punk said:

what do ya think???

A friend of mine did this... Bought a Gas Dodge with a 360, (Forget the 318, it's useless for towing.) I think he had it less than a year... he just traded it in on a Cummins.

If you're considering a fullsize Dodge, just step up and get a CTD!! I still know where a 4WD Cummins is for $7500.

You want the info???

N-Smooth

oh i would love to have a diesel more than anything. i will have them look for a diesel too...but my $$$ is limited. i am still in debt with the heep. i am not set on a gas truck or a dodge, but i do not want an ifs truck... solid axles are just so much better IMO. if i could get an older chev with the solid axle brand new i would. if i could afford a ford i would definitely consider that as well.
the thing is, i do not want to buy anything older than like 97 or 98. i don't care how good they say it runs or if they say it is all rebuilt... an old POS truck rebuilt is still a POS truck. and the older it is the more likely it is to have problems. i just opened a big can of worms with that but that is how i see it :D
if a cummins is going to be sold cheap i will jump on it. if not, i think a ram2500 with a 360 would be nice. i would like to have a manual but i will take an auto.
the auctions are sweeeet!!!!

any more opinions?

James K

NO, I'm always like this
OPINION

3/4 ton 3/4 ton 3/4 ton

That said I had a chev 1/2 ton 4x4, 350,5spd. Great truck, but it would get pushed around by the trailer and jeep.

I even cancelled the Jetta that was on order for the wife :ugh: to by CTD w/6spd :D four years ago. I have never looked back =|

That one for 7500.00 Gregs talking about would be the ticket. It never hurts to look at it. ;)

N-Smooth

i hope i can find a ctd but we will see what happens. i will be fine with a regular 2500. i might be going to the auctions like next week. i am stoked to say the least.

-nate

sibeta

xj_punk said:
i hope i can find a ctd but we will see what happens. i will be fine with a regular 2500. i might be going to the auctions like next week. i am stoked to say the least.

-nate

IMHO the CTD is the only way to go. IF you are going to tow anywhere then there is nothing like a diesel. I see other trucks since i bought my CTD and any gas truck just seems like a complete waste. I mean a diesel will last twice as long and tow 100 times better but it is a bit more expensive. Good luck at the Auction.

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
Maybe I missed it but how often do you plan to tow your jeep? If you only tow a few times a year but you intend on driving the rig daily I would suggest the durango/tahoe. Get them with the tow package, slap on a big ass tranny cooler, etc and tow your stuff to moab carefully. If you plan on towing more get something that will do a better job like a 3/4 ton etc. The 3/4 will do a better (and safer) job getting you to the trail but do you need it or do you need a daily driver?

N-Smooth

is there anything different in a ctd besides the motor? obviously yes diesels last longer and have better torque etc. but do they have a different tranny or anything? cause they have the same axles right?
with the auction, it is not like i am just having some guy from the dealership go and look at the trucks for me, it is a guy that i was way good friends with, he worked with me at the mayan and is my brother in-laws best friend. he is going to find what i want.

i hope, not plan to tow my jeep a lot. i would like to take it to little moab, mineral basin, moab, rattlesnake and con like every weekend. every other weekend or once a month is more realistic. to break it down, i have put a lot of money and work into it, and it owes me a good time. i am going to get out of work on fridays at 6pm and hookup the jeep and go for the weekend. i am not married or anything so i am not all that tied down ya know?
but, i will be driving it everyday to work. i make the girlfriend drive most other places cause she has a gas-saving machine (civic).
i need a truck though, it is necessary in this lifestyle. i want to be able to put axles and stuff in my truck not my uncles or friends. and the rollcage is coming up and i would like to pick up my own tube. plus my free car is falling apart on me and the heater sucks. trucks have sweeeet heaters i am going to love it!! anyone want a 89 olds cutlass ciera? 300 bucks (maybe).

thanks for all the responses
-nate

Jay5.9L

...I just filled the cup.
xj_punk said:
is there anything different in a ctd besides the motor? obviously yes diesels last longer and have better torque etc. but do they have a different tranny or anything? cause they have the same axles right?
with the auction, it is not like i am just having some guy from the dealership go and look at the trucks for me, it is a guy that i was way good friends with, he worked with me at the mayan and is my brother in-laws best friend. he is going to find what i want.

i hope, not plan to tow my jeep a lot. i would like to take it to little moab, mineral basin, moab, rattlesnake and con like every weekend. every other weekend or once a month is more realistic. to break it down, i have put a lot of money and work into it, and it owes me a good time. i am going to get out of work on fridays at 6pm and hookup the jeep and go for the weekend. i am not married or anything so i am not all that tied down ya know?
but, i will be driving it everyday to work. i make the girlfriend drive most other places cause she has a gas-saving machine (civic).
i need a truck though, it is necessary in this lifestyle. i want to be able to put axles and stuff in my truck not my uncles or friends. and the rollcage is coming up and i would like to pick up my own tube. plus my free car is falling apart on me and the heater sucks. trucks have sweeeet heaters i am going to love it!! anyone want a 89 olds cutlass ciera? 300 bucks (maybe).

thanks for all the responses
-nate

Sounds like you need a truck more than a Durango. It would be a bitch to put some greasy dirty axles in the back of an SUV.

Most diesel have more heavy duty trans and drive train to support the tq. Also they have to have heavier suspension to hold the extra engine weight. I would suggest look for a full size 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck. They will tow better than the durango/dakota.

James K said:
let me add that I would stay away from an auto in a CTD. If you do get an auto, put some money in the tranny before you do any motor mods.

Cool thread. Excellent posts on why not to tow with a Durango.

I dig TD's and solid front axles. Would LOVE to have a CTD/xcab auto or stick.

I tow my jeep about once a month, sometimes twice. Also tow a travel trailer occasionally. Knowing my jeep/trailer would weigh around 6000-7000 lbs, I looked for a rig that could tow over 8500, closer to 10,000lbs, gotta have some safety factor. btdt towing jeeps with 1/2ton rigs, even though I knew better.

I also have a family (4 kids) so I needed something with 6+ seats. Easy choice, burb or excursion. I got a burb, 454, 4.10, loaded, etc. Pulls it nicely. Gonna try Parley's tomorrow, see if I can beat the 39mph, since it does 65+ over Soldiers. It was 100+ that day, and I had the AC runnin' too. Pulled another trailer around the same weight over Parleys recently, high 40s/low 50s, so I'm hopeful. The 39mph really surprised me and bummed me out, but I'm otherwise really happy with it.

Anyway, I understand your situation, and I'd be lookin' at just about any 3/4ton pickup you can afford, gas or diesel, ifs or solid. '97 chevs with the vortec 454 are a dime a dozen, drive real nice, and tow real nice too. 460 Ford F250s are the same way. They all have issues of some sort. You wanna Dodge, get a V10 5-speed. Yes, the turbo-diesels are better, but the gassers do pretty darn good too.

Yes, you can upgrade to a td later if you want, but at least you'll be starting with a rig that most folks end up in eventually anyway (3/4ton pickup) and there's a reason they eventually end up there, cuz it's the right tool for the job.

I will be replacing the '99 in the next year or so. Along with an '02 burb with the 8.1, I'll be considering a PSD Excursion. Yes, the X will probably tow better, but in the end, all things considered, I'll probably go with another burb. And it won't suck.

Good luck,
Brett (Dmax burb wanted)

BC posted this to jeep-slc, just what you're looking for: GM old-school crew with a CTD.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2444892918&category=13487

Last edited:

Caleb

Nuber said:
Cool thread. Excellent posts on why not to tow with a Durango.

I dig TD's and solid front axles. Would LOVE to have a CTD/xcab auto or stick.

I tow my jeep about once a month, sometimes twice. Also tow a travel trailer occasionally. Knowing my jeep/trailer would weigh around 6000-7000 lbs, I looked for a rig that could tow over 8500, closer to 10,000lbs, gotta have some safety factor. btdt towing jeeps with 1/2ton rigs, even though I knew better.

I also have a family (4 kids) so I needed something with 6+ seats. Easy choice, burb or excursion. I got a burb, 454, 4.10, loaded, etc. Pulls it nicely. Gonna try Parley's tomorrow, see if I can beat the 39mph, since it does 65+ over Soldiers. It was 100+ that day, and I had the AC runnin' too. Pulled another trailer around the same weight over Parleys recently, high 40s/low 50s, so I'm hopeful. The 39mph really surprised me and bummed me out, but I'm otherwise really happy with it.

Anyway, I understand your situation, and I'd be lookin' at just about any 3/4ton pickup you can afford, gas or diesel, ifs or solid. '97 chevs with the vortec 454 are a dime a dozen, drive real nice, and tow real nice too. 460 Ford F250s are the same way. They all have issues of some sort. You wanna Dodge, get a V10 5-speed. Yes, the turbo-diesels are better, but the gassers do pretty darn good too.

Yes, you can upgrade to a td later if you want, but at least you'll be starting with a rig that most folks end up in eventually anyway (3/4ton pickup) and there's a reason they eventually end up there, cuz it's the right tool for the job.

I will be replacing the '99 in the next year or so. Along with an '02 burb with the 8.1, I'll be considering a PSD Excursion. Yes, the X will probably tow better, but in the end, all things considered, I'll probably go with another burb. And it won't suck.

Good luck,
Brett (Dmax burb wanted)

Well said Brett...I knew you would have to respond to this thread sooner or later:rofl:

supergper said:
Well said Brett...I knew you would have to respond to this thread sooner or later:rofl:

HAHAHHAHAHAHA

ya, I LOL when I saw it, and nodded in approval as I read it. See, it's not just me.

I also had to chuckle when I saw EZ post, knowing a little history (he was gonna buy a Dakota to tow with until someone I know talked him out of it.)

HAHAHAHHA

Brett

EZRhino said:
FYI, I pulled my jeep on trailer over Parleys, 1/2 ton GMC with 5.3L V8. My slowest speed was 47. Brett pulled his very similar (in weight) jeep in his 454 'Burb over Parleys and his slowest speed was 39. Go figure.
EZ

Hey EZ, I only dropped down to 54 going over Parley's yesterday. My guess is that the cooler temps (37 degrees vs 100) and no A/C helped a bit.

I s'pose you'd have been doin' 62... :D :D :D

Actually, it does make sense, since our HP is about the same, and the weight, like you say, is pretty close; I'm guessing the burb is a little heavier than your truck (7000lbs) and the freak vs Leroy is gonna have a few pounds, and we had lots of camping gear for the property, though I have no idea what you were also carrying or when you made the pull.

Anyway, I was happier with 54 than 39.

Laters,
Brett