Keep the Jeep or Keep the Toyota

• Keep the 79' Toyota

Votes: 24 75.0%
  • Keep the 81' CJ-7

Votes: 8 25.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

cjfj80

I have two rigs and cannot no longer have them both.
1979 Toyota 4x4, 22r, 5speed, lifted and running fine OR
1981 Jeep CJ-7, Almost all stock, hard top and soft top. 4.2L V6.
both are in the about the same condition body wise. Little rust on the
jeep and No rust on the toy. With your pick, please give a reason why you picked the jeep or toy.

RockCrushinToy

toys are way more reliable for one

plus your toy is already lifted

also everyone has a jeep, with a toyota you are being a little more unique

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
You can build the Toy on the cheap... but then again a CJ7 is pretty cheap to build too... I would start with the one that has the least rust... nothing gets more expensive than rust ;)

hammerhead

Junkyard Dog
I think Gary Kardum said it best...

"TOYOTA - Because everything else just sucks"

Seriously though I would choose the Toyota if you plan to go wheelin'. They are tougher and the parts are easy to get.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
I voted Toyota, then I read you had a 258 in the Heap.

Almost recanted my vote, but yeah, keep the tuf little Toyota p/u

Oh, wait and the Heap can go topless..................... Maybe I will recant my vote.

cjfj80

The Toyota is my favorite. Problem is my wife and I both like to go so the truck is fine, until last week. We had a baby and so is there a safe way to roll cage the bed bolt down a seat and it be safe?

leorn

reset
toy

why?

axles, engine, mpg, reliability, cheap parts, unique...Old CJs are cool too.

Unless you can do some serious fab, sounds like CJ's your answer. I would suggest sell both and get something else for the same cost...but that's another post!

myota

my toyota
cjkepsel said:
is there a safe way to roll cage the bed bolt down a seat and it be safe?

you can just bolt a seat to the bed, and attach your seat belts to the cage. Problem is that if you put a seat straight to the bed w/out recessing it a tall person's head will stick above the roll cage.

your pretty lucky to find a 79 toy w/ no rust. wow!:)

btw, I vote toy.
tons of good vendors out there.
it's pretty easy to upgrade almost everything for mild or wild
your front axle on the toy is pretty strong...whats on the CJ? you might have to upgrade axle for the cj. If you want stronger than toy w/upgrades you'll have to go D60:eek:
22r is a very reliable engine

Houndoc

cjkepsel said:
The Toyota is my favorite. Problem is my wife and I both like to go so the truck is fine, until last week. We had a baby and so is there a safe way to roll cage the bed bolt down a seat and it be safe?

So are you wanting to have your baby ride in the back of the truck?

Don't tell child protective services of that plan.

Sounds like you have grown into the CJ- congrats! :)

Bart

Funny, I flopped a couple times on this. First the CJ, then the Toy, then the baby, now back to the CJ. DON'T stick a kid in a baby seat bolted into the bed.

reddevil

'93 Cherokee
I voted Yota, cause you wouldn't have to change your avitar, but with a kid coming, go for the jeep. Maybe a Cherokee is in your future!

Bart

Schlitz said:
Sell both and get a Land Rover:D

Schlitz-

If you're going to get a Rover, you'd better keep them both. One for spare vehicle while the Rover is in the shop, and one to sell to pay for the first repairs in the shop.

Don't know what you'll do for a spare rig when you have to sell the other one to pay for the second visit to the shop.

BlackDog

one small mod at a time
A breeder eh? Dump that little rice burner, and keep the heap.

Or if Toy reliability is important, dump both and buy a 4runner, almost had a 85 here for 16.

But, the heap will provide you, and yours with hours of topless relatively reliable open air wheeling, and it is back seat equiped.

O'neal

?????????
breederwheeler said:
A breeder eh? Dump that little rice burner, and keep the heap.

Or if Toy reliability is important, dump both and buy a 4runner, almost had a 85 here for 16.

But, the heap will provide you, and yours with hours of topless relatively reliable open air wheeling, and it is back seat equiped.

I agree,sell both and buy a runner....

monkey

AIRBORN USAF
Sell the YOTA!!!, to me.

I would totally get rid of that Toyota, sounds like it is to small for your family and you need to upsize or keep the Jeep. Sell the Yota as fast as you can, for real cheap too. You are getting sleepy, tick-tock, tick-tock, unload the Toyota.

Buy the way, PM me with your phone number and let me know how much you want out of it and when I can come and pick it up. Ya' sell the Yota to Monkey, tick-tock, tick-tock.

:mad2: Monkey

cjfj80

I would consider a trade for a solid axle 4runner otherwise I'll keep the 79', I have a good bit into it and my neighbor is taking the CJ. So I guess that ends this poll. Thanks for all the input!!!! I have always driven toys so I guess it's not that hard of a choice afterall.