Toyota steering knuckle leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/backwoodsgoop/IMG00029-

20090922-1209.jpg

http://i739.photobucket.com/albums/xx39/backwoodsgoop/IMG00031-20090922-1210.jpg

Yeah ummmm, that is NOT a Toyota axle. Lets stay on subject here. I've told you over and over I could care less what you have done on other axles, they are not the same design regardless of how 'close' you think they are or how Toyota obtained the rights. Each and every comment I have made, question I have asked or theory I have developed is in regards to Toyota axles.

So let me clarify. Lets see some pics of the TOYOTA knuckles that you overhauled. And would the owner care to verify that it is leak free in say 50k miles?

Quick Sand

Poor Kurt you must be stuck in quick sand the next time you pull a Original Toyota Knuckle apart have a sample analized its really not that costly.

Yes I could warranty a Toyota with this lube in it for 50,000 or more miles there is only 1 condition Do not introduce any other form of lube for instance repacking wheel bearings. Reason being that the sodium based lube is incompatable with any other type of lube,

The thing is 50,000 miles is nothing on the longevity of the semi fliud I will even bump it up to 100,000 miles
Afterall Toyota knew this that why there is no recomended service interval for repacking wheel bearings. Thats where all the trouble starts with these things. And I may add thats why if and when there was a warranty concern a different type of lube was required than what you have been Told.

Have you found out what TJoutfitters call the correct grease? I have been answering your questions. And I do love goats ,I have been refraining from calling it a differential.

Corban_White

Can we lock this thread already? I think all the points have been made and the bickering is getting old. I have never so much as driven a solid front axle toyota let alone worked on the axle. But, having read online I think that I am now an expert on all things front axle-Toyota, Dana, whatever. Don't listen to backwoods, don't listen to Kurt, I think we should put a light teflon spray on everything and I will offer a warranty of 2 million miles because teflon is the SHIZNIT!!!!! Please call me and I will hook you up with the miracle toyota rebuild and you can steer clear of all the conspiracies and the toyota quick sand.

:rofl::rofl::ugh::eek::rolleyes:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Poor Kurt you must be stuck in quick sand the next time you pull a Original Toyota Knuckle apart have a sample analized its really not that costly.

I don't need to pay money to get a oil analysis company to tell me that there is NGLI 2 in the knuckle.

Yes I could warranty a Toyota with this lube in it for 50,000 or more miles there is only 1 condition Do not introduce any other form of lube for instance repacking wheel bearings. Reason being that the sodium based lube is incompatable with any other type of lube

Why would the wheel bearing grease even be able to migrate to the knuckle? They are separated by a wheel seal and a spindle ;)

The thing is 50,000 miles is nothing on the longevity of the semi fliud I will even bump it up to 100,000 miles

OK, you report back to us when you have a handful of TOYOTA axles running your goop for 50k + miles with no issues. Nobody is arguing that the fluid itself won't last, just that it won't stay in the knuckle.

Afterall Toyota knew this that why there is no recomended service interval for repacking wheel bearings.

Huh??? You bet your ass they recommend a service interval on repacking the wheel bearings! Where did you come up with that assumption? :confused: Your pulling facts out of mid air here. How can we even begin to take your advice for face value when you confuse issues.

For reference, the same Toyota Motor Corporation manual that recommends NGLI 2 in the knuckle (and the other half dozen manuals I just referenced), also recommends a "Replace, Change or Lubricate" on teh Front wheel bearings every 30,000 miles for the solid axle vehicles. So where did you come up with that BS assumption?

...Have you found out what TJoutfitters call the correct grease? I have been answering your questions. And I do love goats ,I have been refraining from calling it a differential.

Why would I care what JTOutfitters calls the correct grease? Your the one looking for the answer, I've known it all along :rofl:

You know I think the boys on Mud said it best "Backwoodsgoon is like poison ivy... the more attention you pay to it the worse it gets.". I just read through the thread that got you banned over there, amazingly you were told the exact same things as here?? Not just by some random forum members either, some of the biggest names in the Cruiser world lol, you tried to tell an automotive engineer how a bearing works, then you try and pass off the same bearing info here. Man you are dense.

Last edited:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
You know I think the boys on Mud said it best "Backwoodsgoon is like poison ivy... the more attention you pay to it the worse it gets.". I just read through the thread that got you banned over there, amazingly you were told the exact same things as here?? Not just by some random forum members either, some of the biggest names in the Cruiser world lol, you tried to tell an automotive engineer how a bearing works, then you try and pass off the same bearing info here. Man you are dense.

Link? :D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I would pay money to see what the crew on Pirate had to say about him and why he ended up getting banned. I'm sure it was quite entertaining!

This thread is cool I love the incoherent rambling that goopman constantly produces--its truly amazing. RME needs this once in awhile imo :p

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
http://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/275572-steering-knuckle-lubricant.html

Pretty much make a bunch of claims, gets proven wrong on most of them and then came here :D

I guess the more lively threads got axed.

They seemed to get a kick out of this brilliant one:

Originally Posted by backwoodsgoop
No the spindle hub is machined out for the lube to travel from the knuckle to the wheel bearings .they do in fact share the same fluid. How is it possible that you are confused on this subject? I cant believe it

LOL

Last edited:
spinlde hub

crusier outfitter the spindle hub is machined out with an oil groove to allow lube to flow through and lubricate much like an extension housing bushing in an automatic transmission,
this is simply just how it is, in all of the hundreds of enclosed knuckles that you have repaired .... you never noticed this!

Honestly who do you want to believe, the person that wants you to keep buying his lube or the guy that uses the everlasting backwoodsgoop in his own rigs. The ones that get MY kids to school and keeps MY buisness running. The stuff I can say I know works and has been tested for years with no side effects and no wear for the miles its been. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but try it for your self get some proof your right and then... tell me all about the goop I offer.:(

Dont stop now though keep giving me your constructive input and we can make the consumer #1. thank you

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
crusier outfitter the spindle hub is machined out with an oil groove to allow lube to flow through and lubricate much like an extension housing bushing in an automatic transmission,
this is simply just how it is, in all of the hundreds of enclosed knuckles that you have repaired .... you never noticed this!

Again, your wrong!

There is a spindle-birf bushing that rides on the shouldered portion of the birfield. Again FSM manual says to lightly GREASE and assemble. It does NOT run the length of the spindle. Had Toyota wanted them to share the same fluid, these lubrication grooves could have run the entire length. Instead they end abruptly. When the birf is riding snugly against this spindle, the grooves on the face and the grooves on the inner bore would never allow much grease to pass through. I am very familiar with this bushing as its a part we stock on the shelf and I have swapped quite a few of them over the years.

Pic of said bushing:
knuckle 001 (Medium).jpg

Now on the other end of the spindle, you'll notice the lack of machined out oil grooves and in fact the rough machining they left there actually would inhibit a transfer of fluid.

knuckle 002 (Medium).jpg

So where is this machined oil groove you speak of??

Add the spindle nuts, lock washer, thrust washer and bearing and you can see by the time the hub is added there would be very little room for any supposed fluid transfer. So then it would have to move through the bearing, through the gap in the middle (not Toyota wants full of grease) and lube the bearing on the opposite side?? :rofl: Your theory is completely bunk... starting with the lack of machined grooves in the spindle and ending with the fact that anything viscous would just work its way out the bottom of the knuckle and therefor drain the wheel bearings and hub.

knuckle 003 (Medium).jpg

On top of that the AISIN (ASCO) hub does not have any seals on it to keep the fluid in either. It has a very thin paper gasket along a narrow surface of the dial body, its not even enough to keep water out over extended periods let along keep everything inside.

THIS IS SIMPLY HOW IT IS

Honestly who do you want to believe, the person that wants you to keep buying his lube or the guy that uses the everlasting backwoodsgoop in his own rigs.[/QUOTE]

I don't sell any form of an axle lube so regardless of what lube gets used, my products stay the same. However there is a reason its been everyone against you on every forum you've spammed... you are wrong and you are misleading others. Every suggestion and comment you've made is fueled by your motive to sell your product. You've been wrong about the grease scale, the wheel bearing service interval, the existence of a Toyota knuckle centering too, the presence of 'oil grooves' in the spindle to name a few. Yet you continue to dig yourself a hole and expose your inexperience and dull wit.

The ones that get MY kids to school and keeps MY buisness running. The stuff I can say I know works and has been tested for years with no side effects and no wear for the miles its been. Everyone is entitled to there own opinion, but try it for your self get some proof your right and then...

Do you own a Toyota? Why do you keep comparing all the other vehicles you work on to the design of a Toyota. You've admitted you have worked on one Toyota solid front axle and it was a customer of yours. So why do you bolster the fact with fake results and those from vehicles that have nothing to do with the Toyota design. A design which you are clueless about by your own statements over and over.

Dont stop now though keep giving me your constructive input and we can make the consumer #1. thank you

My input. Quit acting like you know what your talking about :rofl:

Last edited:

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
i just got done with a 150 mile desert race, using my 1985 TOYOTA axle, and thats after countless trips to little moab, moab and other trails, and the delta crawl, this summer. I also KNOW my axle housing is bent (due to my abusive nature on parts). last time i rebuilt my axle i rebuilt it the way i always do, which is the way kurt(cruiseroutfit) taught me how to when i was 16, and guess what.??. no leaks. thanks kurt.:D i will gladly post pics up tonight when i get my usb cable back from sami-_-

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
My input. Quit acting like you know what your talking about :rofl:

Kurt goes in for the kill... Hiiiiiya Backwoodsgoop!

jump-kick-to-da-face.jpg

BTW.. Nice form Kurt.. I gotta say though, maybe abit more of the 'i told you so you moron' look on the face when you go in for the final kick-to-da-face..

Last edited:
would never allow much grease to pass through. I am very familiar with this bushing as its a part we stock on the shelf and I have swapped quite a few of them over the years.

Thanks for pionting that out never allow much grease to pass thru well you using the wrong type of grease a semi fluid would easly travel thru that why they fill em up with it thru the fill plug. all enclosed manufactures
but Toyota your out numberd

You said you would lend some credence to this if Steve Turchet wrote about it specificly for Toyota well he did a vitantage Toyota pick up is the inspiration for the article

Pic of said bushing:
View attachment 49296

Now on the other end of the spindle, you'll notice the lack of machined out oil grooves and in fact the rough machining they left there actually would inhibit a transfer of fluid.

View attachment 49297

So where is this machined oil groove you speak of??

Add the spindle nuts, lock washer, thrust washer and bearing and you can see by the time the hub is added there would be very little room for any supposed fluid transfer. So then it would have to move through the bearing, through the gap in the middle (not Toyota wants full of grease) and lube the bearing on the opposite side?? :rofl: Your theory is completely bunk... starting with the lack of machined grooves in the spindle and ending with the fact that anything viscous would just work its way out the bottom of the knuckle and therefor drain the wheel bearings and hub.

View attachment 49298

On top of that the AISIN (ASCO) hub does not have any seals on it to keep the fluid in either. It has a very thin paper gasket along a narrow surface of the dial body, its not even enough to keep water out over extended periods let along keep everything inside.

THIS IS SIMPLY HOW IT IS

Honestly who do you want to believe, the person that wants you to keep buying his lube or the guy that uses the everlasting backwoodsgoop in his own rigs.[/QUOTE]

I don't sell any form of an axle lube so regardless of what lube gets used, my products stay the same. However there is a reason its been everyone against you on every forum you've spammed... you are wrong and you are misleading others. Every suggestion and comment you've made is fueled by your motive to sell your product. You've been wrong about the grease scale, the wheel bearing service interval, the existence of a Toyota knuckle centering too, the presence of 'oil grooves' in the spindle to name a few. Yet you continue to dig yourself a hole and expose your inexperience and dull wit.

Do you own a Toyota? Why do you keep comparing all the other vehicles you work on to the design of a Toyota. You've admitted you have worked on one Toyota solid front axle and it was a customer of yours. So why do you bolster the fact with fake results and those from vehicles that have nothing to do with the Toyota design. A design which you are clueless about by your own statements over and over.

My input. Quit acting like you know what your talking about :rofl:[/QUOTE]

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
The funniest thread I've ever read, parodying our goop friend:
http://forum.ih8mud.com/seriously-ot/287750-proper-dairy-based-lube-youre-u-joint.html

Most people probably won't be able to read it, so I'll list some classic quotes:

U-joint lube for Toyot apickups with a straihgt axle and Land Cruisers, Range Rovers, and older dometic 4x4’s. This is the proper lubricant for your drive shafts, not the limp-wristd Nelly crap that your useless rag a FSM calls for. It’s not any new information or product, its what the manufacturers originally used since the 1940’s. Back then the old boys new that nothing holds up to extreem pressure and extend periods of driveshafting like goodol hand churned butter. Puttingre gular wheel bearing grease in your u-jointsl is inferior to this oreginal product. The bearings allow contamanents inside your shaft. Email backwoodsfawked@goopmail.com

Wha? Wha's that? Quit being a fawkiign sheep and put down theat FSM. Do you really thing toyota fills your u-joinst with lithium based grease from the factoryf? Evceryone knows that litium based grease and chicken fat break down when theycome into contact. Why won't toyota tell you what they fill the crankcase with aat the fadctory. I'ts butter!! don't be a stupid clown, think for yourself!!!

Ha ha retreads

This old school grease has unique characteristics, Sound deading qualitys, and a very nasty reputation of not playing well with others at all. "Catagoricly Imcompatable" this is one af the reasons given as to why it is seldom seen or rarely used. In the salted garlic form it is porable meaning it will pour however it remains glutonious. The enclosed driveshaft differential was by design intended to use this lube. Toyota followed the design purchased from Dana who got it from DIVCO and they followed the blueprint so close that parts are interchangeable the only change is the location of the fill plug yes FILL termanolagy used for a donut centers. It is not a pack plug even the #1 form of this grease would easly pump though a small hand pump sold at any auto part store Although I personally like the salted garlic for this application but In extreme hot I could see the advantages of the margarine The properties of this grease would not lend it to leak out of your ball. It is only when it has been contaminted with lithium grease that it breaks down and the oil that is mixed into grease to provide lubraction is then thinned out and leaks though the bearing caps. all grease is a base of eithier protein sodioum or carbs mixed with oil it comes in many forms starts out with #2 then #1 .then garlic butter #00 #000 then it switches to oil and starts at 1000 and works its way down to 80 -90 w what we are used to seeing. as mentioned in prior posts molebedendum disulphate is merely an additive found in grease typically only up to 5%. There it all is for you guys . It turns out I knew quite a bit about grease and did realize it and of course found out a whole bunch more after I passed an interview process whith to be kind a very perfection oreinted Toyota land cruiser owner and he allowed me to repair his vehicle. And I may add the only wet nurse in the entire country to slow down and see things how they are take it or leave it these are my findings

Petroleum based grease was put in cars because Rockefeller owed the entire planet at the turn of the century. He was heavily into oil and lactose intolerant. He and William Randolph Hearst (who later quit the newspaper business to concentrate on making manual shifters) forced the automakers and the public into oil based lubricants. Both were hardcore vegetarians and hated the thought of animal based lubricants driving out Shell oil.

It's all a big vegan conspiracy.

I prefer to lube my shaft with straight lard.

SUPERFLY

CaptainRob
backwoodsgoop said:
I prefer to lube my shaft with straight lard.
hahahahahaha:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: i bet!

anyway heres my knuckle, rebuilt the right way, then used and abused the wrong way. its had a hard summer but has held up well, granted its still very dirty from this last weekend. i usually rebuild my front axle about once a year to go through and make sure all the parts are wearing ok anyways buy i rarely have fluid spew out my knuckles

IMG00402.jpg

id be interested to see even a current pic (low miles) of this said landcruiser knuckle with the black magic voo doo goop in it. i say post up or shut up

Thats really pretty funny really

Okay I to am wery of all the bickerings heres what I will do. I will kindly invite any Toyota owner to a once and for all hands on examination of this situation. It would be nice to find a orignial factory Rig although thats not nessicary. What we will do is document and photograph the entire procedure.
We will closly examine the semi fluid lube in the knuckle Again Original lube, we will compare it to the #0 sodium based grease. On one side we can follow the Toyota Fsm by using # 2 lithium based grease. We will repack the wheel bearings with this # 2 lithium grease and top off the knukcle. On the other side we will do the exact same thing but use The #0 sodium based grease. I offer this to the Toyota off roading community. Your brand loyalty is comendable but So was the blind faith of those koolaid drinkers at Jones or James town I forget which.

Any one up for it? or do you just want to continue making Fun of me. That just shows ignorance and immaturaty.

It would only take about a day I will leave the hoist open and we can get to the bottom of this.

I plan to do it any way one way or another I know Of two Toyotas in the the area that would be up for such a experament.

I idea I had is that Oil dye can be added to the 80-90w oil, see if it shows up in the knuckle.
I will make the bold assumption that within A years time the side that used the #2 lithium based grease will have a leaking Wiper seal with no trace of the oil dye in the knuckle. Kurt are you up for it??

Backwoodsgoop@gmail.com Thanks Frank

SAMI

Formerly Beardy McGee
^ Frank, your "experament" is flawed from the get-go. It would be "nessicary" that each truck would need to drive the same amount of miles, and in the same driving conditions identically/equally. How are you going to make sure that this happens Frank? If you don't/can't, your "experament" will hold as much water as your spelling and poor grammar.

Status
Not open for further replies.