Tractor advice needed

MattL

I am in the process of looking for a tractor for starting out with maintaining my soon to be very large garden, orchid, animal (stall clean out) and general maintenance of my current property. I currently have a bunch of grading to do, compost/manure spreading and removal of rocks.

I am hoping that some one on here might have some advise on what to look for when looking at tractors. I dont think I want a small lawn tractor but a bit larger due to the amount of work im going to do.

I am looking for a box or a blade and maybe a FEL.

Suggestions or do you know where one is for sale?

My price is hopefully below 5K pending on what it is and the implements going with it.

jeeper

I live my life 1 dumpster at a time
I believe something like this to be the right answer.

kubota.jpg

good general, all around work machine.

RustEoldtrux

RustEoldtrux
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=33260557&cat=98&lpid=14&search=&ad_cid=9

Nice little 4X4 tractor with front end loader - probably would be about the right size. You're not likely to get a much better deal, assuming the tractor is in good condition. I have a JD model 750, the next size larger, and use it a lot every week. There is a dealer in Sugar, Idaho that carries a lot of used Japanese tractors for about the same money or less. Link here:
http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=33509860&cat=98&lpid=17&search=&ad_cid=5 .

D

Deleted member 12904

The second ad in sugar city is my uncle. I know he deals with a lot of these size tractors. If you call him tell him you ride dirt bikes with his nephew Jake.

boogie_4wheel

What size garden are you going to work? How many horses? Do you need it to have a high bucket reach? Maybe need a mid-mount PTO for a belly attachment?
Those questions (and there are many more) need to be considered for sizing a tractor. I haven't dealt with the hydrostatic drive units very much, but would stay away from them for working ground, I think they would get hot from the fluid shearing vs the direct coupling of a gear/clutch transmission. But hydro drive are very nice for bucket work (cleaning pens) and other tasks that require frequent direction changes.

My parents had more but are down to 3 horses now, roping calves during the warmer months (~5), are on 5.5 acres, bushhog weeds, work fullsize arena.

My dad had a Kubota B7500 4wd (19HP PTO). 6x2 trans, super slow gears in the low range and low teens when topped out. Gear spacing was a little bit too far apart, for how we loaded it anyways, but that is just being nit picky. That was a working little machine! 4' bucket (frequent dumping required when cleaning pens), 2spd rear PTO and single speed mid PTO. It could barely pick up an 8' wide two row disc, but could drag it at near full depth through the clay dirt in New Harmony (Cedar City area) for working a horse arena (so the ground wasn't too tough to begin with). You had to go get a scoop of dirt before you went to work so that it had enough weight to steer and traction to pull. This was a disc that would make a 35Hp tractor get warm. We filled the rear tires about 2/3 full of water/antifreeze for ballast to the bucket. We rented a 5' tiller (smallest they had) and it spun that tiller in the hardpack of the horse pens. For its size, it did a lot of work. It did not reach high enough to easily load a hay rack on the roof of their horse trailer, but it did help. I think this unit was around $11k with 5' box blade and bushhog.

Put a few hundred hours on it before it was sold (had about 1100) and upgraded to a Kubota 4400 4wd (about 38HP PTO). 12x4 trans, low gear is still taller than the B7500 but not by much, wide out it will do about 18 (maybe more this thing flies). I'm sure one of these is well over your $5k mark, but the larger bucket and greater capacities make for fast work. He got it from somewhere in South Idaho.

We also have an older Ford 335 2wd (late 70's early 80's model diesel about 35HP) without the loader. It was the original for using that old 8' disc; I turned many acres with this tractor for pumpkins. I don't know how many thousand hours it has on it now, I remember my grandpa acquiring it in the mid 80's. It's worked ~40 acres since then (disc, bushhog/mowing, and other farming duties) and it still works like a champ. I wouldn't hesitate to purchase an older unit that has been maintained. It does weigh a little more than the L4400 Kubota.

Whatever you purchase, I think you MUST get a loader, and MUST get 4wd if it is a smaller tractor. Even with the liquid ballast on that B7500, no attachments on the 3-point required 4wd to keep it from spinning (even with dried horse poop), the loader is just so heavy compared to the rest of the tractor. The larger framed units seem to do better with only 2wd. That also makes me think about you moving the tractor, think of a weight that you can carry on a trailer you may already have...

I'm guessing an 18-25HP unit would work well for you. I don't have any leads on one at this time, but will keep an ear out. Hope this helps.

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I have a Kubota BX24 (like the one pictured above) that I purchased new in 2008. I have put it through the wringer over the years working 6 acres of mountain property and also to put food on the table when I was furloughed from my RR job for three years. It hass never left me wishing I had a bigger one. The thing with tractors is, most will do the job you need done, its just how long it will take to do with one tractor versus another. I bought mine for leisurely working around the cabin, so no deadlines came into factor.

Its a TLB, the FEL will lift around 600lbs, the backhoe has a bit more breakout force than that. I bought a box blade and a rear blade for it and have used both extensively. 24 horse, the unit weighs around 2600 lbs with the FEL and BH attached. So, its easy to trailer from one place to another. Cool thing about the BX models is that they will fit through a 4 foot gate.

I don't know if you'll find one in your price range though, I paid 17k for mine, and it would still bring a premium if I were to sell it.

sixstringsteve

we had a 30 hp kubota 4x4 growing up and that thing would not die! We never maintained it in 10 years and rode it hard and put it away wet. It was an incredible piece of machinery. It had a cool locking diff lever that you just stepped on and it'd lock the back wheels. I loved driving that thing as a kid.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My dad used to drag me to farm auctions, usually they have one up by Smith and Edwards in a lot by the freeway every spring. It's funny the little garden tractors sometimes went for more than a 60HP full size.

MattL

Thanks for all the follow ups I have been away and been able to reply..
I’m starting a hobby farm for garden farming and general animal and property maintenance. I have modified the original thought from a small tractor to maybe 30-50 hp tractor with front end loader and rear pto options. I started to look at 8n style but keep hearing certain words, like live pto and 4x4 and FEL stability-steering etc to up my search option. I have 5 acres but I have a concrete direction where I am going with it and need all the help I can get. I already have an equipment trailer for the hardware.
I am uncertain on the clutch thing. What is the preference on shuttle/hydro clutch or just the old school clutch?
What I’m looking for is blade/box use, loader and maybe an auger. I know other uses will be applied but this is the beginning but these are the priority.
My price range has now been expanded to 10k if I find the right piece of hardware.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My dad runs equipment with both the shuttle/hydro and old school clutch, if you're cleaning corrals with a lot of back and forth the shuttle/hydro is great, switch the lever from forward to backward, never hit the clutch and away you go, when you hit the other end throw the lever the other way. I think a 30-50hp is a better size, a lot more options for use.

Houndoc

Different thought:

Pay to have the manure hauled and pens dragged.

We have debated the purchase of a tractor versus paying someone to do the work. With 6 horses we hand pick the pen daily (30-40 minute job) then have the manure hauled away about every 2-3 months and have the pen dragged 3-4 times a year. Having the pen dragged and all manure loaded and hauled $125.

Even discounting maintenance on a used tractor, we figure it would take a long time to pay for the purchase of a tractor, plus would need trailer to haul the stuff away etc.

PM me it you want contact info for the guy we use.

R

rockdog

Shuttle shift is a nice option. Way easier to run. Especially if someone like you wife-kids are gonna run it. Most newer tractors are probably gonna be that setup.

stimmie

Come to Roosevelt to the annual spring farm implement auction next Saturday the 28th. Right on the highway as you come in to town at the Case/Kubota dealership. Starts at 9am.