Trail Recipies

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
manifold cooking ??? almost any frozen food will work pretty well (burritos, hot pockets, egg rolls, etc.)

I'm a fan of the dutch oven the past year or two.......I've just google searched for recipes.

V-DAWG

someday
My favorite thing to eat while camping is Tin Foil Dinners. Add some veggies, potatoes, onions, and hamburger into some tin foil, place it in the fire on the coals for about 30 min, then put it all into a pita bread and enjoy.

Not really anything new and exciting, but it always puts a smile on my face just thinking about it. :)

PierCed_3

I drive Frankenstein!!
Another vote for tinfoil (hobo) dinners. I usually take hamburger patties and cut up some potatoes and carrots, salt & pepper em and wrap them in tinfoil. A couple layers of tinfoil is best. Then place it on hot coals. I love doing that. We do it in the backyard sometimes too. It's making me hungry thinking about it!

Cory

V-DAWG said:
My favorite thing to eat while camping is Tin Foil Dinners. Add some veggies, potatoes, onions, and hamburger into some tin foil, place it in the fire on the coals for about 30 min, then put it all into a pita bread and enjoy.

Not really anything new and exciting, but it always puts a smile on my face just thinking about it. :)

Just make sure it is cooked well. Had a very bad experience with an under cooked tin foil dinner. I've heard some people will cook the meat at home then wrap it up with the other goodies and heat at camp. Shorter cooking time and less chance of food poisoning.

V-DAWG

someday
Cory said:
Just make sure it is cooked well. Had a very bad experience with an under cooked tin foil dinner. I've heard some people will cook the meat at home then wrap it up with the other goodies and heat at camp. Shorter cooking time and less chance of food poisoning.

Pink hamburger meat is not like pink steak :rofl:

I like mine a little burnt anyway, it adds flavor. I have never had a problem in the last 15+ years.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
another vote for tinfoil dinner. I packed a couple in to the Adirondacks in NY once, laaaaate fall camping, and cooked them on top of a mountain. Was it awesome food? mmm not really, but it sure as hell tasted like the best meal ever, on top of a mountain.

They have these things called coolers now that help a lot with food poisoning issues. ;)

TexasTJ

Lift Laws Suck...
My buddy takes his potatoes n' stabbs it all over with his fork, n' a psycho manner of course, then he soaks n' Italian dressing and put's Tony's Chascheries before he cooks it. Man, it turns out awesome! I bust it open n' throw some cheese on it with some sour cream n' bacon bitz...

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Recipes

If anyone posts some good ones I'd like to post them on my cooking site if that's ok :) www.cookingwebby.com

I carry a small dc powered hot plate to warm up all my food. My son built a solar oven last year that worked pretty good. I love smart kids :D

V-DAWG

someday
81Ramchargerman said:
Yet another for tin foil.. I prefer to put fresh trout with bell peppers, onions, salt pepper, butter in there....and some lemon too.

I've done something similar with Salmon. Cook the salmon in the foil with the skin down, add a bunch of butter and lemon pepper. Let it cook the entire time skin down, and when removed from the foil the skin sticks right to the foil leaving just the salmon to enjoy. :p

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
WORLD'S GREATEST REDNECK/POSSUM RECIPE's

Wild Possum Kabob

Ingredients:
1 Still breathing, corn-fed Possum
3 Ripe but firm tomatoes
1 Large white or yellow onion
1/2 pound large mushrooms
2 large green peppers
1 package meat marinade
1/2 cup soy sauce
12 skewers (sticks are okay in Arkansas)

Preparation:
The possum must be alive so that you can scare it, giving you the "wild" taste from all the adrenaline it produces. It is best to hit it over the head with a large object in a humane manner. Boil the possum for 3 minutes to loosen the fur then skin and gut it.
De-limb (chop the little knubby legs off) the possum and cut the meat into 1/2 inch square chunks. Marinate overnight in a mixture of meat marinade and soy sauce. Kentucky residents who have no fridge can use an ice chest and may use radiator coolant instead of soy sauce.
Thread the meat and veggies onto your skewer/stick in alternating sequences to distribute the delicious flavor evenly. Cook over a barbecue, pit, 50 gallon drum or any other fire till you get the desired result. For added flavor, you can cook it over burning tires.

Possum and Taters
Ingredients:
1 young, fat possum
8 sweet potatoes
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon sugar
salt

Directions: First, catch a possum. This in itself is excellent entertainment on a moonlight night. Skin the possum and remove the head and feet. Be sure to wash it thoroughly. Freeze overnight either outside or in a refrigerator.
When ready to cook, peel the potatoes and boil them tender in lightly salted water along with the butter and sugar. At the same time, stew the possum tender in a tightly covered pan with a little water. Arrange the taters around the possum, strip with bacon, sprinkle with thyme or marjoram, or pepper, and brown in the oven. Baste often with the drippings.

Possum Pot Pie

Ingredients:
1 cup glazed huckleberries
3 shots gin or moonshine
1 possum
---if roadkill: make jambalaya
---if caught: proceed with recipe
1 pie crust
sliced carrots & cabbage to taste

Directions:
Cover a pan (or any implement you can put in a fire) with the bottom of your pie crust, and place the possum in it. Add the huckleberries and carrots, and shred the cabbage over it. Close up the pie and bake until the neighbors' dogs come sniffing around to see what the wonderful smell is, or until the fire department arrives (whichever comes first). Remove pie from fire/oven, slice, and enjoy.

Possum Creole
Ingredients:
1 slightly injured possum
1 cup mayonnaise
8 cups pig fat
2 cups buttermilk
2 fresh green peppers

Directions: Slice green peppers and mix ingredients in a large bowl(exclude possum). Cut possum into chunks or thin strips. Mix possum chunks into bowl. Transfer contents of bowl into a casserole dich and bake under 350 degrees for two hours. Remove from oven, let sit for half an hour, and serve. ENJOY!!

TexasTJ

Lift Laws Suck...
Tacoma said:
no Possum!! Never!!!

I second that...

Try using cracker meal on your fish... just add some ground up black pepper to it, or if you can't find cracker meal in the store, buy a box of saltines and crumble em' up to a powder, add a lil' black pepper n' some lemon pepper or any other spices ya like... and batter your fish in it and fry em'... it's an nice light crust... it's good. Cuttin' up yer potatoes into frys n' fryin' them first seems to add to the flavor a bit also.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I'm all for Dutch Oven cooking. I haven't done it when I've gone down just with friends, since you usually have to get stuff cooking pretty early on in the afternoon (sorta slow cookin)

You can make all sorts of stuff though. I've made stew, turkey, pot roast, even peach cobbler. It's a good way to make damn good food down south.

Otherwise, it's usually just weiners, maybe hamburgers, sandwiches and then on the mornings bacon or sausage and eggs. Cearel is also a good stand by for those early mornings.

I'll see what I can dig up on Dutch Oven cooking
:greg:

I'm pretty cheap when it comes to camp cooking, but one thing that I absolutely love is my onion and potato wrap.

Take a purple onion and cut in in half. Peel and take a couple of layers and place them close together on an aluminum foil sheet, curve side down so that you sort of make a bowl. Take a couple of pink potatoes and cube them up. Fill the onion bowls with potatoes, cover with a big glob of butter and salt and pepper. Wrap up with more aluminum foil to create a ball shape. Throw on the BBQ and forget about it. Have a beer or two (or three, some people drink more in 30 minutes than others). Come back and flip it over so that the butter runs back through the onion and potato. Drink a beer. Come back and flip it back over so that the butter settles back into the onion. Drink another beer.

Open and eat.

edit - You can probably make 2 or 3 of the balls with one big onion and 4 or 5 pink potatoes.