trailer questions

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
ok, so now that Johnny Law won't let me drive "Project Betty" on the roads, a trailer is in order. And yes, the Johnny Law story is a good one!
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, all trailers aren't created equal. (1)What are some items to look for in a good trailer. (2) Which trailer do you feel tows the best. (3) What would you want/look for in a good trailer. And, (4) What do you like/dislike about your current trailer.
I Would like to keep the price under $2000 if possible. What do you recommend??

Thanks is advance for the info. KENNETH !!

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I build my trailers out of square tubing, stronger yet heavier. A wood deck is ok, but seel is better. A tire rack in a must, and a nice paint job is cool.... :p

Do a search, this has been covered many a time. :)

cheapzuk

My trailer deck is only 7' wide. If I was going to get another one I would go 7'6" or 8' if I could. Also, Make sure you get brakes on atleast one axle.

James K

NO, I'm always like this
fattodog said:
ok, so now that Johnny Law won't let me drive "Project Betty" on the roads, a trailer is in order. And yes, the Johnny Law story is a good one!
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say, all trailers aren't created equal. (1)What are some items to look for in a good trailer. (2) Which trailer do you feel tows the best. (3) What would you want/look for in a good trailer. And, (4) What do you like/dislike about your current trailer.
I Would like to keep the price under $2000 if possible. What do you recommend??

Thanks is advance for the info. KENNETH !!

Try Bubba's up there in your neck of the woods. very happy with mine. I have had it 6+ yrs and all is fine.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I can't speak from expierence since mine's a Metalcraft, but I have a lot of freinds running Bubba's. They're a sweet trailer, and VERY reasonable. Oh, and to argue with Shawn, steel decks suck. Slippery when wet, and impossible in the snow. Get the basic wood deck. In a few years when it rots away, install redwood, and it'll last forever. My redwood deck cost me about $100 more than replacing it with pine. You may be able to talk Bubba's to installing one (for a fee of course) and not worry about it in the future.

Keep it light and simple. If you just tow to Moab twice a year heavy is cool, if you're towing alot, get just what you need but dont go overboard, you're just wasting fuel....... Oh, and tire rack???? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

James K said:
Try Bubba's up there in your neck of the woods. very happy with mine. I have had it 6+ yrs and all is fine.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
BCGPER said:
Oh, and to argue with Shawn, steel decks suck. Slippery when wet, and impossible in the snow. Get the basic wood deck. In a few years when it rots away, install redwood, and it'll last forever. My redwood deck cost me about $100 more than replacing it with pine.

I'm not talking about the solid steel decking, I forget what it is called,,, it is the soild mesh with the diamond shaped wholes. And incase you don't get out a snow wheel..... wood gets slipery also.......... :shawn:

kirk86CJ

Shawn said:
I'm not talking about the solid steel decking, I forget what it is called,,, it is the soild mesh with the diamond shaped wholes. And incase you don't get out a snow wheel..... wood gets slipery also.......... :shawn:

I think they call it expanded metal. We didn't use it cause I figured it would be heavier than wood. Also, I have seen a few snowmobile trailers where they expanded metal bends from the weight of the cargo - I would think a jeep would require some pretty heavy stuff.

We built our 18 ft out of 4" channel. I will post a link. I think we ended up spending close to $2K on material.

Here are some pics. We used treated 2"x8"'s for the deck

Trailer thread

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
my trailer was 1400 bucks from the john deere place on redwood and 6200. it works great, my only gripe is it is 80" wide, so i am going to cut the sides off and reinforce it.

footin fool

We have two of bubba's trailers in the fam. Love them. they tow great and hold up well. Prices are great to. He also has them on hand most of the time.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
I bought mine from Wasatch in Layton. It was around 1600 bucks, has 84" wide deck, 16' long, tandem axle, trailer brakes, 15" rims etc. It's a pretty light trailer, rated to 7000 lbs I believe, but thats what I wanted. If I could do it again I would win the lottery and hook up a 20' enclosed trailer.

My only gripe is the paint on it chips really easy. I wish it had a more durable finish. One thing I will say is that almost everyone I know has had problems with blowouts, flats, bearings etc. on their trailers and I've never had a single problem with mine (knock on wood).

Also, stain the bejesus out of the deck if its wood. I thought I stained it pretty good, but I sucked. The wood looks pretty worn and it's only 2.5 years old.

Cody

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Cody said:
I bought mine from Wasatch in Layton. It was around 1600 bucks, has 84" wide deck, 16' long, tandem axle, trailer brakes, etc. It's a pretty light trailer, rated to 7000 lbs

The wood looks pretty worn and it's only 2.5 years old.

Cody
wow.... looks like we have the same trailer.... My wood is going vertical.... :eek:

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
While we're on the subject, what is the difference between trailer tires and regular car tires? My tires are like 205/70/15's and I think they are only rated to 60 mph or something. After hearing all the horror stories of people having multiple blowouts on trailer tires, I was just wondering why you couldn't use a normal passenger tire in the same size.....?

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Cody said:
While we're on the subject, what is the difference between trailer tires and regular car tires? My tires are like 205/70/15's and I think they are only rated to 60 mph or something. After hearing all the horror stories of people having multiple blowouts on trailer tires, I was just wondering why you couldn't use a normal passenger tire in the same size.....?
Load rating.
If you have the same trailer as I do, you are running the same bias ply tire that I'm running. The nice thing about bias play isi the laod rating, but the tire just sucks. Mine have now came apart and I need a new set. Radial don't have quite the same load rating but ride alot nicer and last alot longer. My next tire purchase will be a set of radial. I will go after the trailer tire radial just to get that little extra rating. You know,,, I have a Heavy Cruiser ;)

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Shawn said:
Load rating.
If you have the same trailer as I do, you are running the same bias ply tire that I'm running. The nice thing about bias play isi the laod rating, but the tire just sucks. Mine have now came apart and I need a new set. Radial don't have quite the same load rating but ride alot nicer and last alot longer. My next tire purchase will be a set of radial. I will go after the trailer tire radial just to get that little extra rating. You know,,, I have a Heavy Cruiser ;)

Good to know! :)

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
I have had a 16' Big Tex for 12 years and just replaced the deck. Scot's trailers in SLC recommended Oak as the ultimate material, and to use Linseed oil. I used pine with linseed oil on both sides on the new deck. I've used stain in the past on the old deck, but have noticed the new deck beads water really well and never noticed that with the stain.
If you are buying a premade trailer Scots and Bubba's are both willing to customize the trailer you want as it is built.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
I had the exact same troubles as Shawn. Bias tow fine, but just done seem to last. Go with a radial TRAILER (look for the ST in the size stamping) tire, and you'll be pleased. Mine usually make it 4 to 5 years now. Oh, and keeping them covered when you're not using it, even though it's a major pain, is worth the effort.

Shawn said:
Load rating.

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Nah, I never snow wheel unless it's in the middle of the night to pick up some bumbass cruiser on it side....... :mad2: My last trailer was diamond plate, and totally sucked. I'll take wood over that any day. If you're talking expanded metal, structurally, it wont hold up. If you add enough braces it will, then you're heavy as diamond plate.

Shawn said:

DToy

My trailer is an Aztec...18' long and 7' wide. Makes it nice when you want to haul your rig and some ATV's at the same time. Also the axles on my trailer are a little further back from center on the trailer...makes it alot easier to get the weight distributed properly and tows like a dream. I think it's worth it for the extra couple of feet.