trailer questions

tv_larsen

I've had my 16' Big Bubba's trailer for almost 3 years. I am very happy with it. I got the 7000 lb upgraded version for $1600.

What I like:
83" wide
5" C-channel frame
Long 7' ramps (great for loading cars)
Thick diamond plate fenders
Heavy duty Bull Dog hitch and jack.
It tows great and is holding up real well.

What I don't like:
It's only 16' long, should have bought the 18'.
Brakes on only one axle (both would be better)
Couple minor booger welds (very minor)
I should have bought a 10k lb version, I've maxed out the 7k lb limit more than once.

Ford Prefect

Umm...

Almost none of yall have mentioned if you have a ramp up to your deck, or if you have the deck that tilts, or how you get on to it. Any preferences there? One trailer I used to borrow had the tilt deck, and I rather liked that, though it was a touch odd to me. The other had the ramps that pulled out from under the deck, that was nice too. Anyone have the ramps that just go up in the air and hook on with a chain?
Anythoughts on Ball VS. Pintal hook??? I know that the military tends to use the pintal hooks, are they stronger or anything? any reason to think that is better?
What do yall prefer on that issue?

Last edited:

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
Cody said:
I bought mine from Wasatch in Layton. It was around 1600 bucks, has 84" wide deck, 16' long, tandem axle, trailer brakes, 15" rims etc. It's a pretty light trailer, rated to 7000 lbs I believe, but thats what I wanted. If I could do it again I would win the lottery and hook up a 20' enclosed trailer.

My only gripe is the paint on it chips really easy. I wish it had a more durable finish. One thing I will say is that almost everyone I know has had problems with blowouts, flats, bearings etc. on their trailers and I've never had a single problem with mine (knock on wood).

Also, stain the bejesus out of the deck if its wood. I thought I stained it pretty good, but I sucked. The wood looks pretty worn and it's only 2.5 years old.

Cody

DUDE!!
i so would love this option! I don't have the cashola, and, the wife would kill me!! would be nice though

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
oh yeah. Mine has ramps that come out from the side. They are like 4' long---long cars won't climb them wihtout being hi-centered. I really like the trailers I've seen that are dove-tailed(?) where the back 4 or 5 feet slope down closer to the ground. I think that is slick. I also don't like my rails, although they make it nice when i use the trailer to haul other things.

I didn't have the cashola either. I put it on a card because the card had half hte interest rate the trailer guy was going to finance me with. I guess thats one of the perks of being repulsive, annoying, poor, and thusly single. Don't have to clear any decisions with anyone else. I figure if I ever get married, my debt becomes a marrital asset so if she wants to divorce me she has to take half of it with her. I've been considering getting married just to divorce and give up half my debt ;)

Cody

Last edited:

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Cody said:
I figure if I ever get married, my debt becomes a marrital asset so if she wants to divorce me she has to take half of it with her. I've been considering getting married just to divorce and give up half my debt ;)

Cody
Do you think this could work with plural marriages? I'm sure the debt would be divided in equal parts, but I could stand to lose 1/3 of my debt. It would be sort of cool to have two wives for a short amount of time. A short amount of time... :hickey:

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
Do you think this could work with plural marriages? I'm sure the debt would be divided in equal parts, but I could stand to lose 1/3 of my debt. It would be sort of cool to have two wives for a short amount of time. A short amount of time... :hickey:

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Not me.................I'm worried about having a daughter let alone another full grown woman around the house with all that estrogen........

Trailer: I'd get the best you can afford. At least 16' and the dovetails are nice (kind of heavier, though) when you use the trailer for other things.

Cody

Random Quote Generator
Supporting Member
Hickey said:

Thats why god created contract lawyers. Anything can happen with a pre-nup.

Cody

fattodog

frame cracks= More flex!!
Cody said:
oh yeah. Mine has ramps that come out from the side. They are like 4' long---long cars won't climb them wihtout being hi-centered. I really like the trailers I've seen that are dove-tailed(?) where the back 4 or 5 feet slope down closer to the ground. I think that is slick. I also don't like my rails, although they make it nice when i use the trailer to haul other things.

I didn't have the cashola either. I put it on a card because the card had half hte interest rate the trailer guy was going to finance me with. I guess thats one of the perks of being repulsive, annoying, poor, and thusly single. Don't have to clear any decisions with anyone else. I figure if I ever get married, my debt becomes a marrital asset so if she wants to divorce me she has to take half of it with her. I've been considering getting married just to divorce and give up half my debt ;)

Cody

So, before this became a plural marriage thread on good ways to alleviate debt, you were leading towards the fact you owned an enclosed trailer. If this is true, this is the route I would like to go and have done some research online but to no avail. I haven't been able to find one tall enough. If you are running enclosed, what brand what size and how much did it run ya! Cool thing about enclosed, after you get married up with a few wives, like Hickey mentioned, when they all cycle together and everything male is evil, at least there will still be a place to stay!! Still sounds like a good way to get rid of some debt! :D Aren't we Pigs?!! KENNETH !!

dunatic67

It's all about the HP
fattodog said:
So, before this became a plural marriage thread on good ways to alleviate debt, you were leading towards the fact you owned an enclosed trailer. If this is true, this is the route I would like to go and have done some research online but to no avail. I haven't been able to find one tall enough. If you are running enclosed, what brand what size and how much did it run ya!

The trailers come in varying heights- you have to order it that way. Pace has a factory in Hurricane and one of my buddies has a 26' trailer which is 7'6" tall. Talk to Mike at Lone Peak trailers in Lehi- he can set you up. They get them in all the time for repo guys so they can pick up lifted trucks.

airhardy

Rocks are my friends
Cody said:
I bought mine from Wasatch in Layton. It was around 1600 bucks, has 84" wide deck, 16' long, tandem axle, trailer brakes, 15" rims etc. It's a pretty light trailer, rated to 7000 lbs I believe, but thats what I wanted. If I could do it again I would win the lottery and hook up a 20' enclosed trailer.

My only gripe is the paint on it chips really easy. I wish it had a more durable finish. One thing I will say is that almost everyone I know has had problems with blowouts, flats, bearings etc. on their trailers and I've never had a single problem with mine (knock on wood).

Also, stain the bejesus out of the deck if its wood. I thought I stained it pretty good, but I sucked. The wood looks pretty worn and it's only 2.5 years old.

Cody
I purhcased mine from Big Bubba's in Ogden. I got it with a dovetail so I can drive my Jeep on without using the ramps. With the extra for the dovetail it was $1700. My friend bought his from Wasatch. We compared trailers. The Bubba's is much better built. The tires are a common size and better quality(more plies higher speed rating), my friend had to special order to get a replacement for his and it was expensive. The wiring is ran through conduit on Bubba's, and the Jack is much better. Bubbas also uses the hammer blow style coupling. The ramps are 5' and are stored in front of the tires so if you leave the door open and drive on the trailer you won't smash the door. I used a quality deck stain on mine and restain it each summer. It still looks like new. I use it in the winter for my snowmobile.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
airhardy said:
I purhcased mine from Big Bubba's in Ogden. I got it with a dovetail so I can drive my Jeep on without using the ramps.

you don't need a dovetail to not use the ramps :D
you just need a little redneck in ya (like me)

R

rockdog

I'm a little late to add my .02 We have a 27 foot titan gooseneck. We bought it well used ( abused ) from a neighbor who is a contractor. It was a 24 foot beavertail that could be changed into a flatbed. Needed more length so i cut off the ass end and added it. So we could put two trucks on it.

Things i like about it.
1. I love pulling a gooseneck,im not kidding you can hardly tell its back there other than you feel the weight.
2. 8 foot , 6 inch wide bed - thats as wide as you can go without a wide load permit.
Things i don't like.
1.Torsion axle suspension personally i think it sucks!
2. Brake problems that I'm still trying to work out. If you buy a used trailer , make sure they work good.

N-Smooth

rockdog said:
2. Brake problems that I'm still trying to work out. If you buy a used trailer , make sure they work good.

this applies to a new trailer as well. i used my trailer for like 6 months without brakes cause i didn't have/need them and now that i use them they are rough! i need to take it apart and check everything out.

8'6" is huge!!! my trailer is like 80" wide aka 6'8"
then again my jeep weighs like 3k probably and the trailer will hold up to 7.5k i think
towing two vehicles would be cool though, i wouldn't have to add much to put a sami on there.

Ford Prefect

What is the shortest I can get and still fit Two Jeeps on there? Of the C/Y/Tj size. I am trying to decide if I a going to get a jeep or a sami for my girl, but a sami is shorter than a jeep, so...

Thanks for all the good advice. IS there any way that I can check out the brakes to know if they are working or not, aside from loading the thing down heavy and trying to stop? :D

Thanks,
Brian

N-Smooth

Ford Prefect said:
What is the shortest I can get and still fit Two Jeeps on there? Of the C/Y/Tj size. I am trying to decide if I a going to get a jeep or a sami for my girl, but a sami is shorter than a jeep, so...

Thanks for all the good advice. IS there any way that I can check out the brakes to know if they are working or not, aside from loading the thing down heavy and trying to stop? :D

Thanks,
Brian

you can usually feel the brakes even unloaded if they are working well.

lets see, y/tjs have a 93" wb and samis are like 80"
as far as overall length i am not sure.

R

rockdog

Ford Prefect said:

Thanks,
Brian
23 feet w/ a tongue pull. Nephew puts two jeeps on a 20, but has built extentions on front to get one set of wheels onto. Two w/stingers just varely(sp) fit.