Trailer Tie Downs

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I have seen many different styles and type of ways to tie your rig onto your trailer. As I was flying down to Moab at 80mph I wondered if my straps would hold back the heavy Cruiser if I had to Slam on the brakes. I had visons of it flying over the top of the truck....:eek:

I would like to pitch the fraying straps and go to some nice/easy mounting chains. Some that I have seen that I like are Carls (ILean), and Kevin Hawkins.

Post some pics of yours.

Quick, Easy, and effective are a must.

Thanks,

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Always a chain in the back. There is always more force applied when you stop, then when you start out.

I would like to weld tabs to my axle in the rear so I could use two short dedicated chains to secure the rear. a strap in the front is fine for me.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
The chains in the rear will be set up so I just pull onto the trailer, hook the chains, pull forward until tight, then throw a strap on the front.

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
The chains in the rear will be set up so I just pull onto the trailer, hook the chains, pull forward until tight, then throw a strap on the front.
That's the plan. I'm just looking for ideas on how people have made their attachment points. I really liked Kevins.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I know some (Carl) use tow truck style chains, with the large hooks on one end. Those are the way to go for the back end, simple, secure, proven.

I too have often wondered what my nylon straps would do... mabey I will sit down with my dynamics book and figure out the resulting forces of a 85-0 stop... :D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
cruiseroutfit said:
I know some (Carl) use tow truck style chains, with the large hooks on one end. Those are the way to go for the back end, simple, secure, proven.
I have been kepping my eye out for those hooks, but I haven't really come across any yet. Anyone know of a chain specialty store? :rofl:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Hickey said:
You are pathetic. There is a Lowes by my house. I wouldn't trust the hooks they have though, I want hooks that are rated the same as the chain.

No, I'm a whinner... :rofl:

Hey, lets make some tabs for our 14 bolts next week... Sunday.. You working?

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hickey said:
I have been kepping my eye out for those hooks, but I haven't really come across any yet. Anyone know of a chain specialty store? :rofl:

Rocky Mountain Wrecker---3450ish south and immediately east of 5th west (west side of I-15).........

They're not really cheap, but not too bad.....

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
mbryson said:
Rocky Mountain Wrecker---3450ish south and immediately east of 5th west (west side of I-15).........

They're not really cheap, but not too bad.....
good info.

tanks,

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Shawn said:
good info.

tanks,

If I were to get a wrecker set, I'd get the flatbed (rollback) rear tie set. They typically come (if things haven't changed since I drove-----9 years ago.....I'm sure they could have) with a large 'J' on one side {kind of a threatening looking, but very useful hook about 14-18" long and 6-8" curve on the 'J'} and 3 hooks ('T' hook, mini 'J'{most useful, IMHO}, a 'normal' chain hook to hook back to the chain) on the other end of a 10' chain. When I drove, they were about $125 or so for a new one. Sometimes I'll see them on the side of the freeway that have fallen off of a truck...........

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
I had a good conversation with Jeff (Clutch on RME) on the way down to Moab over CH channel 25 about this very subject.

I told him about the recent "letters to the editor" in the recent Petersen's 4wor mag (rag, more like it......losing respect monthly). Anyways, a couple do-flunkys wrote in and insisted that the only safe way is to chain the frame to opposite sides front and rear (NOT strapping/chaining the axles). We both concluded that for the reasons they gave that we will continue to strap/chain the axles.

My trailer has sides, so I'm not worried about the jeep going over the side. The only thing I'm concerned with is keeping it out of the bed of my truck or going off the back. I use two of the big ratched straps and they work flawlessly. I probly could use an additional strap of some kind in the front, dunno. Chains are pretty much break-proof, so that is something to consider. (But only as strong as the weakest link).

I told Jeff that if my tow rig goes off the road and the trailer goes upside down, I'll have bigger problems to worry about than if the jeep stays firmly planted on the trailer, upside down. :eek:

EZ

Coreshot

Resident Thread Killer
I went down to Rocky Mountain Wrecker. Bought 4 6' lengths of chain, 4 hooks that go to the D-rings on my trailer, and 4 mini-Js. The mini-Js hook into the factory holes in my frame. I just chain up the front on both sides, taking the chain through the D-ring and doubling it back onto itself. Then, I use rotary style binders on the back to cinch everything down. Very simple, once the truck is on the trailer, it only takes one person 2-3 minutes to completely secure it. They were a little spendy, right around $100 for everything, but they will last forever.