Trailer Tie Downs

James K

NO, I'm always like this
I also read the petersons article,and the way I view it is.

My jeep is not stock thus how can I tie it down the same way they do a stock vehicle. The suspension and tires have more movement then a stock vehicle. Even if I was to tie down to the frame(I believe)there is to much left in the suspension and tires to move. I would rather let the suspension on the jeep absorb some road terrain then constintly be shock loaded going down the road.

JMO :)

ps. I tie mine down with four straps w/axle straps. One per corner

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
Exactly what I think, Moe...er, I mean, James. One thing that would be nice would be to weld a small 'C' onto the back of the axle housing to run the strap through, one on each corner (4). Then cross the straps.....strap on left side of front axle goes to right side of trailer, etc.

Something else came to mind.....right next to Rocky Mountain Wire Rope is a place that sews straps, whatever size and shape you want. It would nice to have some dedicated straps exactly the right size so you don't have to deal with a 10 ft. tail everytime. I thin they can sew in some D rings into the strap so that you can double the strap back on itself and have something to hook it to when you go around the axle, etc.

EZ

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
When you use a strap, NONE of the nylon/cloth material should be in contact with any metal. Reason is, chafing. Just the vibration of everything going down the road will rub your strap raw. DOT considers any strap that is frayed as a non usable strap. I just thought I would throw this out there for ya. I use a frayed strap on the front of mine, but when the material is touching the rig or the trailer, it will fray, and therefore shorten the life of your strap.