Trip invite: Aid Station 6 for the Salt Flats 100 Ultra April 25-26

The Salt Flats 100 organizers are looking for a team to run Aid Station 6 on the Salt Flats 100 Ultramarathon on Friday April 25, 2014. http://saltflats100.com/aidstations100/ Last year a group from RME ran it and did a great job.

The aid station will be running from about 10am to 6pm. It is at mile 39.9 of the 100 mile race.

3-4 people are needed to arrive before the racers get there, set up coolers and tables, and then check in the runners, hand out drinks and snacks and otherwise help the runners as they come through. The first ones through barely slow down, but later in the day there can be a crowd.

The aid station is here: 41.114073 N, 113.758445 W

Aid 6 is the most remote aid station, accessible via a rough 2-track. You probably won't need 4 wheel drive, but it doesn't hurt. I use 4low in my X just for the go-slow ability. I use granny 2hi in my jeep, which is what I will have out there again this year.

I'll be there doing radio support at Aid Station 6 and later (overnight) radio support at Aid Station 13.

I typically have my jeep, a couple EZ-UPs, a table, some chairs, and a little generator.

We are also looking for a few more ham radio operators.

Please post up here if you are interested.

Thanks!

Confirmed:
Kirk (aid/radio)
Matt B (radio Friday 'til 4)
Nate nnnnnate (aid/radio)

Solid maybe for Friday night:
mbryson (radio at Aid 13)

Checking with the boss:
sixstringsteve (aid)
gijohn40 (aid/radio)

Last edited:

blznnp

Definitely a good time helping out the runners. I would head out there again aswell if I didn't have to be at class.

blznnp

I like how you refer to them as the "crazy people." The guy that was in his 70's-80's, his goal in life is to do 100 100 mile runs. He said that the salt flats wasn't to bad, not his hardest, that definitely qualifies as crazy to me. It's a good experience and fun to talk with all the runners. I was hoping I could take some scouts out there this year but the Friday makes it hard for them. Anyone that is thinking about doing this, do it, it's a fun good time. Hopefully they have more coke this year for the runners.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
That old guy was inspiring. They were all inspiring (except the photographer), but the old guy the most.

Based on last year, the "crazy people" love cheap peanut butter, white bread, flat coke, and watermelon. The race organizers supply each station, but we were running low on everything last year and that was the stuff that ran out first. If I were volunteering this year, I would definitely bring an extra watermelon or something.

Brian P

Misanthropic Fuel
Can't have bubbly soda, it will give you an upset stomach, PB&H rules! Watermelon is a new one to me, but I guess it fills two needs, food and drink.

that sounds fun. I'll check my schedule.

That would be cool! Do you think you could round up enough others to take care of the Aid Station side of things?

What time on Friday?

We'll want to be up there by 10 or so, the first runner comes through about that time, then it's a while before anyone else gets there. It's 40 miles from the starting line, so taking that into account, we try to get there around 8, check in, offload the jeep and head out around 9. We close down the aid station around 6pm. The radio guys will go up to Aid 13 and get set up and work the night shift.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
That would be cool! Do you think you could round up enough others to take care of the Aid Station side of things?

We'll want to be up there by 10 or so, the first runner comes through about that time, then it's a while before anyone else gets there. It's 40 miles from the starting line, so taking that into account, we try to get there around 8, check in, offload the jeep and head out around 9. We close down the aid station around 6pm. The radio guys will go up to Aid 13 and get set up and work the night shift.

I couldn't come out until after work sometime on Friday. Saving my time off for other things (still earning time off, technically)

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
This sounds pretty interesting, you'd probably want a more experienced "radio operator" than me though as I just got my call sign this week. I'm not a total noob to radios, just ham. If you are just looking for warm bodies I might could help out.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
This sounds pretty interesting, you'd probably want a more experienced "radio operator" than me though as I just got my call sign this week. I'm not a total noob to radios, just ham. If you are just looking for warm bodies I might could help out.

I've had my ticket for 5+ years and I'm still a noob :D

Come do 13 then as a ham, er, Radio Operator. It's closer to the start line. We'll have the EZ-UPs, tarps, etc set up. Bring a cot and a bag and a couple chairs and your radio.

I have some kewl new ARB chairs (from CruiserOutfitters) and cot and a bag and an EZ-up...

Last edited:

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
This really is a fun way to spend to the day. Anybody who doesn't have anything else planned should totally get in on this and help enable the crazy people.

I don't have that kind of pull. I can barely get people to join me for wheeling trips anymore.

Change brands of deodorant? :D

Let me know if you'll be able to help, maybe we can get enough from RME to fill a crew (3-4 people?)

It's pretty easy. You'll pick it up fast. Also, if you just got your license, (congrats, by the way!) you can listen in and maybe participate in some of the nets that operate each week. Do you have a radio?

We run a pretty simple operation. After the aid station crew has checked in the runners, we just read the list to the Net Control. However...it is possible that we may also be entering stuff online this year, so the radio might be more about communicating with the other stations than keeping track of runners...or maybe some of the other stations may transmit their stuff to us, so we could even be busier, who knows.