Trip planning thread: What would you do to haul a car hauler trailer on this route for 10-12 days?

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
We did a big trip this summer, we took our expedition max and did the hotel thing. It was great except for the limited options they had (none) in towner ND where my grandma lives and celebrated her 90th birthday. Read reviews, and you can find good hotels most places. My brother rented a motor home and had a miserable wife and 3 daughters because he couldn’t run the a/c while driving, only the cab a/c, so it was July and the back of the motor home was a million degrees but he was comfortable. Not sure if he’s just a dummy and couldn’t figure it out or if that’s a motor home thing but he made it sound awful.
As long as you can run the generator the AC should work just fine while driving down the road.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Just circling back. I need to start salting away $ for this. I'm probably low on food budget but I figure we can steal from the household budget for the balance as we won't be eating at home. I've made my reservations for a hotel in Bowling Green (Tues-Sunday night--overestimated my stay and will adjust dates as it gets closer) with other Buick minded folk. I believe my daughter and son will likely be partying at the house while we are gone?

1672262948271.png

As you can see, I'm a minutia detail planner. I don't have any expenses for attractions or track fees or the like but I'll just fudge the $ to the 4k mark and see where that gets me?

I've heard attractions along the way are below.

Tues
Hamilton, MO
(these first ones are EXTREMELY important to me and my quilting habits)
Missouri Quilt museum/Farm Implement Museum and Man Cave - Hamilton, MO
Missouri Star Quilt Company - Hamilton, MO

Wed-Sat/Sun
-Buick GS Nationals @ Beechbend Raceway Park in Bowling Green, KY

Sat/Sun-???
Drive home while we evaluate why this was SO important :D

Points of interest
-Oregon Trail, Pony Express, Mormon migration monuments across this route (where it makes time sense----not the highest priority but interesting enough if we need a break)
-Pony Express museum in St Joseph, MO (there are two of these. I've only been to 1)
-Corvette Museum & factory in Bowling Green (not sure how intact that area is)
-Nashville----nothing particular, but we are close enough we should go there?
-The National Quilt Museum in Paducah, KY--- (I'm beyond excited for that one :D)
-Carhenge, Alliance, Nebraska.

-home through I-70 just for a change of scenery across the plains???

mbryson

Supporting Member
.... and now I need to start planning for 2024. I will fly to Nashville this year, rent a car and go to the 2023 Nats. I need to save a few $ for an upcoming trip to Melbourne. My wife has an assignment to peer audit a sister company in Melbourne in Sept. We thought I should figure out how to accompany her. We'll obviously spend a few extra days on either end of her assignment to figure out what we like about Melbourne. First world problems for sure. AUS will suck up a few $ for sure (not sure about flying for 18+ hours---I'm not @TRD270...someone suggested I take an Ambien?)

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
.... and now I need to start planning for 2024. I will fly to Nashville this year, rent a car and go to the 2023 Nats. I need to save a few $ for an upcoming trip to Melbourne. My wife has an assignment to peer audit a sister company in Melbourne in Sept. We thought I should figure out how to accompany her. We'll obviously spend a few extra days on either end of her assignment to figure out what we like about Melbourne. First world problems for sure. AUS will suck up a few $ for sure (not sure about flying for 18+ hours---I'm not @TRD270...someone suggested I take an Ambien?)
Melbourne is an awesome city. Very walkable, lots of great food and things to see.

The flight is a nightmare, though. Don't have any tips for that other than book first class if you have the means. :D

mbryson

Supporting Member
Melbourne is an awesome city. Very walkable, lots of great food and things to see.

The flight is a nightmare, though. Don't have any tips for that other than book first class if you have the means. :D

I'm not in the "super mobile" category, unfortunately. I get around fine for normal things but long walks seriously affect my knees. I can get a couple miles and I'm done.

$2200 for "normal" $10k for first class... I'm not that committed. $8k is a lot of cash to a guy like me. Can this peasant mow your lawn over the summer and your illustrious highness cover the upgrade?

Last edited:

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
I'm not in the "super mobile" category, unfortunately. I get around fine for normal things but long walks seriously affect my knees. I can get a couple miles and I'm done.
Plan where you're staying to be in the Central Business District and you'll have plenty nearby. They also have a fantastic light rail system that can get you pretty much anywhere you need to go. I highly recommend the Shrine of Remembrance and the surrounding botanical gardens. Also, St. Kilda's beach is a fun day out. If you're into F1, visiting Albert Park is a must as well.

Its been nearly a decade since I was there, but I spent a week and a half wandering around the city and I just remember loving it. Never was lacking for things to keep us entertained.

$2200 for "normal" $10k for first class... I'm not that committed. $8k is a lot of cash to a guy like me. Can this peasant mow your lawn over the summer and your illustrious highness cover the upgrade?
If I could spot you $8K for a flight, I'd be taking it myself! You're still welcome to come down and mow my lawn every week. I'll give you a shiny nickel each time. :D

I flew coach there and back and was pretty close to delusional when we landed in Sydney from lack of sleep. Got in an argument with a flight attendant too for standing at the back of the plane and stretching at about hour 12. That was fun.

Next time I'm going to make a stop in Hawaii for a day or two just so I'm not cooped up in a tin can for a full day.

09 - St. John's Catherdal.jpg
St. Johns Cathedral

07 - Shrine of Rememberance.jpg
Shrine of Remembrance (Its big, with a museum under it)

10 - Flinders Street Station.jpg
Flinders Street Station

03 - Luna Park.jpg
Luna Park at St. Kilda

mbryson

Supporting Member
I'll stay where the free hotel is, wherever that might be. Good points of interest though. I do think I'll have 4 business days to wander on my own while my wife works. Hopefully I'm near some transit or Aussie UBER?