Trip Report: Hole in the Rock March 22-25 2012

sixstringsteve

thanks, it was one of the best trips I've ever been on. The trail was fantastic, but the company was even better. I made a lot of good friends on that trip, and I hope to be able to wheel with them again soon.

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
I told my wife I am ready to do it again... I'd lIke to have a extra doy or so and hike down the rest of the trail to the lake. It would also be fun to hit the other side and see what the hitr looks like from the other side. I will surely do it again this year!!

TooeleBronco

let's go wheelin
I did this trail 8 years ago. We went over to the actual Hole In the Rock and then went to the trail side that you did. We followed the route as much as we could all the way to Bluff Utah. One part that stands out that you don't hear as much about is Comb Ridge. It was the last hill they had to climb and it was a long steep one. The pioneers and their animals were weak by the time they got there. I really enjoyed reading some of the history and then seeing it in person.

sixstringsteve

To be continued??? You're horrible! :)

How else am I going to keep you coming back to read this thread over and over? ;)

It takes a long time to write these things and it was 12:30 AM. I'm trying this new thing where I go to bed before midnight. I'll try to get some more written tonight. I'm only about halfway done with the report, and I haven't even started editing the 5 hours of video I have. :)

Last edited:

Coco

How else am I going to keep you coming back to read this thread over and over? ;)

It takes a long time to write these things and it was 12:30 PM. I'm trying this new thing where I go to bed before midnight. I'll try to get some more written tonight. I'm only about halfway done with the report, and I haven't even started editing the 5 hours of video I have. :)

12:30 PM?? mid day? :p

looked fun.

05rubicon

Looks like it was a great trip I have been down 5 times and still find new things to look at and explore. I am not sure if you saw this when you were hiking up the wagon path on Grey Mesa, but on one of the narrow spots there is a hole with the wood stake they used to support the outside wheel. The path was not wide enough and they had to build out over the ledge for the wheel to have support. You can see this in my photo HITR post.jpg

MOODY

Bald Guy
Can't forget the pioneer leader and his "stickitytooitiveness"

dsc0112za.jpg

DAA

Woot!

Steve, my Man, you do a TR like no other. Love it!

Happy that it looks like you all had such a good time. Sorry to hear about the one flopped rig - really hope that didn't put too much of a dent in anyones life, I know first hand that it can...

Looking forward to the rest of the installments!

- DAA

DAA

...One part that stands out that you don't hear as much about is Comb Ridge. It was the last hill they had to climb and it was a long steep one. The pioneers and their animals were weak by the time they got there...

Ahh... You're talking about San Juan Hill I presume? Neat place to visit, for sure.

IMG_4484.JPG

- DAA

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
Pics of the flopped Jeep?

I believe the only pics of the flopped jeep are on Don's phone, so you'll have to ask him. It wasn't bad mushed the fender a little bit, but they straightened it out pretty much by hand, other than that a slightly broken passenger side mirror, and a few small dents on the windshield frame and passenger door.

It was a slow motion flop, the TJ just was a little tired and needed a nap :D

Great report Steve, look forward to seeing more of everyone else's pictures

Here is a link to all my pictures if anyone cares to view them

https://picasaweb.google.com/111271...&authkey=Gv1sRgCNWDqIyY897tCg&feat=directlink

On a side note, a good amount of my pictures came from hanging my camera out the window and snapping a pic, so don't judge the crookedness :greg:

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Looks like it was a great trip I have been down 5 times and still find new things to look at and explore. I am not sure if you saw this when you were hiking up the wagon path on Grey Mesa, but on one of the narrow spots there is a hole with the wood stake they used to support the outside wheel. The path was not wide enough and they had to build out over the ledge for the wheel to have support. You can see this in my photo View attachment 71422

man, I wish I had known to look for that. I'm sure we walked right past it. We saw the steps they carved, then the trail just kind of disappeared. I need to go back with Frenchie or someone who really knows that area so they can point out all the stuff I missed.

blznnp

looks like a good time, the landscape is awesome. a lot different than what i am use to in washington. how well did the trailers go through the trails?

sixstringsteve

nope, I didn't see the arch. We didn't go very far down the canyon. Is the arch downhill or uphill from where we were parked?