Trolley Square Shooting

ALF

SURE!?
WTF is wrong with people today?! I'm glad the bastard is dead so we don't have to sit through a long ass trial and all the damn appeals he would of gotten. Hats off to the Ogden PO that took him down!

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
My beef last night was i heard anything from one person dead or 20, the shooter had a shotgun, pistol, or a rifle, there maybe one shooter or 3, After a half hour of listening to the non-information I was starting to wonder if they were doing a new story or a madlib. Then they finally got a police PR person and they kept saying we don't have that information at this time. Then they would show the same thing they did 5 minutes earlier, then back to the PR person (still no information), rinse rather repeat. A nice scrolling banner at the bottom or a news break every 15 minutes would have been better.

JoeT

Was I the only one that wanted to smack the reporters upside the head that were asking questions to SLC police rep?

" what was his motive "
" who is he "
" what gun did he used "
" how did he die "
" how old was he "

Good grief what a bunch of retards!!! Gotta love the pics of the body in the paper today. Man if that was my family member I would be all over the paper with my attorney. Have some respect!!

Cody please keep us posted on your buddies uncle.
SRN good to hear you got out fine.
I was wondering if there was any RME'rs there when this happen.

Stephen

Who Dares Wins
Glad you are OK Steve. Is Brookstone the new job then?
No, Brookstones the old job!:rolleyes: Hopefully I can get some sort of monetary compensation from them for my mental health or something!:D

Cody said:
I guess my friends uncle was shot 4 times with a shotgun--twice in the pelvis, once in the arm and once in the lower back. he was in surger most of last night and they don't think he's going to be able to walk agian.

It's senseless. What brings people to that?

One of the guys I work with is the head of maintenance at Trolley and I guess he was about 10 feet from some young girl when she got shot.
Damn, that sucks. I know the head of maintenance too, thats just crazy that he had to see that. At least he's ok.

To update everyone further, I just got back from picking my car up (I had to leave it overnight) They have the place locked down still. They are saying that the mall will probably be closed for another couple days at least. They told me that they will be letting managers in to close up their stores at around two. If they call me to do that, I'll see what else I can find out and let you guys know.

I think Kurt was referring to the regular news at 10. I thought that coverage was good. It was far enough removed from the event that they had a chance to get the full story (as much as was available) from all the angles.

The crappy coverage everyone else is referring to was the media-hysteria from 7:00-8:30. I tuned in at about 7:30 after hearing what was happening, but I quickly turned it off after realizing that they didn't know anything. They were just filling time so they could say that they were covering the story (since all the channels were covering the story).

They were getting all these conflicting reports, hearsay, speculation, etc, and just putting it on the air as news. That's where the "two gunmen", "20 dead", and other false stories were coming from.

Overall, it's a crappy situation. I'm glad that more people weren't hurt, as it could've been worse. Sorry to hear about Cody's roommate's uncle. Hope he recovers, along with anyone else who was injured.

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
I think Kurt was referring to the regular news at 10. I thought that coverage was good. It was far enough removed from the event that they had a chance to get the full story (as much as was available) from all the angles.

The crappy coverage everyone else is referring to was the media-hysteria from 7:00-8:30. I tuned in at about 7:30 after hearing what was happening, but I quickly turned it off after realizing that they didn't know anything. They were just filling time so they could say that they were covering the story (since all the channels were covering the story).

They were getting all these conflicting reports, hearsay, speculation, etc, and just putting it on the air as news. That's where the "two gunmen", "20 dead", and other false stories were coming from.

that is exactly what i was talking about. if they had saved all the info for the 10 o-clock news that would have been fine, but the way they showed it was a mess, no info for an hour and a half, on every channel is a bunch of BS. but because every channel has to be the first to report the new info, we all had to watch all the mis-information all night.

i think they summed it up on the 10 o-clock news just fine. it was all the krap that filled up the rest of the evening that pissed me off.

jeep girl

I guess I have a hard time understanding why watching some fictional television show religiously sparks more interest than some actual news. You can all monday morning quarterback the situation all you want... but the news was pretty much dead on based on the reports this morning... I guess I watched a different channel than you... they were portraying it pretty accuratly. I never heard the news assert there was a second gunman... rather that the police were not taking any chances and put the place on lock down until the searched everything.

When a story is developing, your going to get frantic info from witnesses, your going to get "unconfirmed" info (the news is always quick to point out unconfirmed). Thats life... Get your own TV station so you can control the programming... I'm sure you're station will suceed :rofl:

big%20huge%20fat%20guy%20watching%20tv.bmp

Well put Kurt, and Cody I'm sorry to hear about your roomates uncle.

All I can say is if it were a loved one, or someone you knew in that mall last night you would be thankfull of the news coverage and not so worried about which freaking tv show you missed. Serously!

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
I asked elswhere, with all the people that need killing, why a mall full of innocents? Should have been a hero/martyr by going after gang members...

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
All I can say is if it were a loved one, or someone you knew in that mod about which freaking tv show you missed. Serously!

BZZZZZZZZZT! wrong. I'd have preferred NOT to hear rumors that there were multiple gunmen, one on the loose, etc etc.

Break in to say there is a situation going on, details when we have them. It's not news when there's nothing to report.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
"I mean honestly... I need to watch 24... its like part of my life. I'm living vicariously through Jack Bauer... we are 1"... "who are they to sheild me from my addiction... I'm going to boycott their commercials now... and sign a petition too"
morbidly_obese.jpg

Honeslty guys... the television stations have a pretty firm grip on the ratings & the publics perceptions of news... I'm sure I'm not the only one that RARELY watches TV that actually turned on the TV last night just so I could see what was going on. They've been doing it for years... this isn't the first time a bunch of addicts call the on their broadcasting decisions. I stand by my assumption that the news (though obviously developing) was more worthy of a TV show I wouldn't have been watching otherwise ;)

Meat_

Banned
I guess I have a hard time understanding why watching some fictional television show...

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: You're joking right? The TV "news" IS a fictional tv show. Someday you'll be where some news happens, trust me you'll think you were in a completely different place than where the "news" happened.
Ask any cop you know that was at a major accident, they will tell you that "tv news" couldn't report on what color their own underwear is.

TV "news" is nothing but sensationalism aimed at selling advertising.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
People die on a TV show and you all get upset......but real people die in real life and then you all complain that the networks cut in on a fake show. Guess that shows how much people really care about life. :rolleyes:

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
well now that we have established that i am an insensitive fat ass.......

i have no problem with the news, i quite like knowing what is going on in the world. but an hour and a half of "we really dont know anything right now......" is in my opinion not news. it is the news station trying to get the first shot of someone getting shot. trying to get that news footage that nobody will forget for the next few years. there was nothing that they could tell me that they didnt tell me in the first 10 min of there news bulletin.

that being said, i am going back to my hoho's and oprah......:-\

footin fool

Ya it sucked that they kept saying they had no info most of the night. What sucks more is that people are more worried about a TV show than what is happening in their own area.

embabe

My own epidemic!
At work today we got to see both sides of the tragedy... one of my coworker's close friends was killed and his son is in critical care at the U. Another girl I work with's husband worked with the kid (still following?) who was the shooter. He said the kid was just pretty normal. Nothing strange at all. The whole thing in general is just sad. Since when did it become cool to commit suicide by having a cop kill you after you go on a shooting rampage?