Trolley Square Shooting

offroaddave

It's just one term!
At work today we got to see both sides of the tragedy... one of my coworker's close friends was killed and his son is in critical care at the U. Another girl I work with's husband worked with the kid (still following?) who was the shooter. He said the kid was just pretty normal. Nothing strange at all. The whole thing in general is just sad. Since when did it become cool to commit suicide by having a cop kill you after you go on a shooting rampage?

IMO, There is only one side to this story,
And that's the side of the victims.
Not that you had implied that, I just can't have any sympathy for police asst suiside for anyone but the officer who has no choice. :( :(

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Not that you had implied that, I just can't have any sympathy for police asst suiside for anyone but the officer who has no choice. :( :(

Agreed, refer to it as "Police/Officer assisted suicide" is offensive and disrespectful to the victims and the officers. No officer ever wants to take a life, it is sometimes required, but only as a last resort. That phrase makes it about the criminal, when concern an emphasis should be o the victims. I do not have sympathy for the gunman.

dunatic67

It's all about the HP

I agree. I knew Jeff Walker who was killed and his son was shot. Truly a senseless tragedy. Jeff was a great guy. I'll miss him.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I'm not too stoked with his family's response just yet... though I feel for the horrid position their sons malicious actions have put them in...

GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE, PEOPLE DO.

He was 18, I think whomever sold him the guns could and should be FULLY investigated to make sure everything was kosher... prosecuted if not, but I owned a gun before I was 18, never in my mind was it an open invitation to commit a crime for it. While the legal system lets kids off the hook for juvy crimes, they still know right or wrong, especially when it comes to slaughering INNOCENT people!!! A 3 year old could tell you that.

embabe

My own epidemic!
Just to clarify, I meant both sides as in the people who were directly affected by being there and those who were injured, as well as those who were indirectly affected meaning those who came in contact with the shooter in general. Heck, just from what we heard I'm almost afraid that anyone anywhere could snap at any time! That's a slightly disturbing thought...:ugh:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Hey-_- :mad2: What are you saying??
Not always....trust me;) You just can't hear about it....

Don't get me wrong, your not in the legal making side of the system, rather the enforcement. You can't honestly tell me that they average 17 year-old gets the same sentance that a 20 year old gets given the same crime. There are obviously a million factors that go into an individual sentence... and by default they have to "draw a line" somewhere on adult vs. juvy crimes and punishments. I guess there is no right answer when your dealing with juvy's that commit heinous crimes and adults that are no more mature than a 12 year old.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Don't get me wrong, your not in the legal making side of the system, rather the enforcement. You can't honestly tell me that they average 17 year-old gets the same sentance that a 20 year old gets given the same crime. There are obviously a million factors that go into an individual sentence... and by default they have to "draw a line" somewhere on adult vs. juvy crimes and punishments. I guess there is no right answer when your dealing with juvy's that commit heinous crimes and adults that are no more mature than a 12 year old.

Somewhat....system in Utah is designed to give them many chances....but only on the non-violent crimes....Anyone 16 and over committing an agrivated (ie using a weapon) will be directly filed as/in adult court. Anyone over 14 can be certified to to be tried as adult.
On the other hand, juveniles general get much harsher fines and detention for drug offense then adults....

Disclaimer: These are my personal opinions and should in no way be seen as the position of my employer. My opinions are just that, Mine.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Here's the answer:

Kill someone, purposely? You get the firing squad. Oops, thats' cruel and unusual. You get the needle. F you, have a nice time dying.

Drew_XJ

Jeep is a 4 letter word
i say people who kill should die the same way they killed thier victims when it comes to murderers and child sexy offenders i dont think there should be such a thing as cruel and unusual punishment make them suffer like they deserve