Turboing a 4.0????

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
Anyone done this? it sounds like fun and i found a really good deal on an eclipse turbo, so what do i need to do to make this work or should i just scrap the entire idea completly.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I'd make sure you have the right parts first, not just a free turbo. Turbo's need too be matched to the engine, for where in the RPM range you want the boost & how quickly you want it to build boost. I'd imagine a turbo from an Eclipse is rather small, the engine it was in is what... 2.0 liters? And you want to put it on a 4.0? I know a little about turbocharging but not enough to tell you what you need.

I think it would be a great idea, the layout of a straight 6 allows you plenty of room to play with a turbo. There are a few companies out there that sell kits to turbo a Jeep, find out what turbo they are using, if they're upgrading the injectors, what max boost is, if they are running a lower compression ratio, etc. I'd make sure to include a intercooler, no reason to do the work involved & not make the turbo as efficient as possible.

I think you'd want to keep the boost low if you're not going to swap out the pistons. Like, under double digits.

GOAT

Back from the beyond
Anyone done this? it sounds like fun and i found a really good deal on an eclipse turbo, so what do i need to do to make this work or should i just scrap the entire idea completly.

Buy a complete kit or scrap it. Like Greg mentioned, the turbo is just the beginning to a good kit.

PM Jason @ redrock4x4 and he can tell you all about turbos and 4.0s. Hint, he still may have his kit for sale...

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
the turbo came off a running car so i know its good. im pretty sure the 4.0 can only handle around 9 pounds of boost so i only planned on running 7 pounds. i guess ill have to do sumore research on the turbo to c how quick it boosts, and i already have 2.5in exhaust cat back so turbo lag shouldnt be to much of an issue

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You should also get those Gator books on supercharging and turbos. DIY tech, but some decent functional info. There are turbo Jeep 232's in the book, which are of course the genetic precursors to the 258's and the 4.0.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I say do it and post up here your efforts! :D

..And by the way, turbo lag isn't caused by exhaust... It's caused from the turbo not spinning up fast enough to match the instant (foot to the floor) demand.

They get away from this by constantly keeping the turbo spooled up.

NE_Utah

If you put to small of a tubo on and you over run it, you will cavitate the turbo and maybe gernade the fins.

Also you need to intercool it or you will start to over heat. It is easier to supercharge the engine than a turbo.

I have a turbo off my 5.9 cummins it is only a 30LB lets see that on there:eek:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
If you put to small of a tubo on and you over run it, you will cavitate the turbo and maybe gernade the fins.

Also you need to intercool it or you will start to over heat. It is easier to supercharge the engine than a turbo.

I have a turbo off my 5.9 cummins it is only a 30LB lets see that on there:eek:

True, but a supercharger on the 4.0l is a waste of money....;)

NE_Utah

Are they that big of a dog? I have seen a few that have done really good on them. I know Dean Bullocks works great on his TJ

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Are they that big of a dog? I have seen a few that have done really good on them. I know Dean Bullocks works great on his TJ

The problem with superchargers is they need RPM's to work properly and the 4.0l motor isn't a RPM motor. With the right turbo setup, it can help the low end of the 4.0l, which is where it's designed to produce power. Turbos pretty much start working right off idle. Superchargers are after 2000 or so RPM's.

...Unless this is a road rig, then on the highway it would do great with that motor turning ~2500 on the freeway.

NE_Utah

Good point, I did not think of that. I wonder what the max RPM of the eclipe turbo is. Is it going to over rev with a 6 cyl. Ya the 6 is a slower engine but there are 2 more pistons than a eclipes. A eclipe is a 4 banger right?:confused:

4x4phil

I have a home made turbo kit on my 2.5 wrangler. Takes some modification, but is worth it. Your eclipse turbo is way too small. I met a kid that was running a t-4 on his 4.0 cherokee. But it was tight. Kept burning things under the hood. We ran tubing from the manifold to the turbo in front of the motor, then plumbed the pipe out from there. We run an msd ignition and boost retard, an fmu (forgot what volume) and stock injectors and fuel pump. Only run 6lbs max. Some brainiak could make it run better, but it runs great, and has for over 30,000 miles. But it's not an easy project, and it took a good while to get everything dialed in just right.

erocrocks

turbo runs up not off the line, superchargers are th low ened, indtant power makers.

there are kit sout there, look at any of the magezine web pages and do a search

also the supercharger kits, generally install new injetors, new computer, at least a piggy back system, and the intercooler is a good diea, but i wouldnt say it is absolutly nesseacary.

by the way, i dont know EVERYTHING, but have though about doing it , on couple different projects, all said no, due to the wwork, and risk

sizing your turbo is important, plumping, over pressure, ignition, all that matters alot, as well as your cam profile will probaly be differnt, the compression makes a difference, the gas milage and power band .......... if you are going to use this for wheeling or just driveing around, it would be silly, your power band is not going to be anywehre you want to use, you will still have to rev it up, and i also your reliabitlty... thats another risk

BUT if you do it, i would be more than hapy to read every single artcile you write

good luck with any choice you pick

phatfoto

Giver of bad advice
505 performance does turbo kits for Jeeps...

Eclipse turbo is meant for half the displacement of your 4.0...

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
Who would spend 5 grand on a turbo setup for a 6 cylinder???:rofl::rofl:

For 5 grand you could throw in a 454, your tranny of choice and .......built one ton axles to handle all the power your gonna have and still have enough to build a good suspension to match

:confused:

it must be one of those jeep things I dont understand

kent l

Turbos

I have had many turbos cars over the past 20 years. I still own turbo cars they have added power and get better gas mileage. I cant see you would have a problem converting a jeep with the right parts. You just need a wastegate control, maybe a bigger fuel pressure regulator, turbo, oil line for the turbo, water line to the turbo, intercooler, bigger injectors and a knock sensor that works with the timing.
Gut and old saab they have all of that and the have all the stuff you would need. Gut a 88 to saab 900 with a APC system. Even the Volvo guys use saab stuff to hot rod their cars. These cars and parts go cheap and have the right turbo stuff.

I have messed with these cars for years and their turbo systems are light years ahead of any others. I run 12 lbs max boost in my 88 Saab SPG and 17 lbs in my 944 turbo
I think the hardest part would be to get the turbo to fit and get the plumming rigged for the intercooler. You might have to put check valves in your vacume system also if you run anything off manifold vacume

If you decide to do this keep us posted on your progress