TurboMinivan's 1998 Wrangler Sport build thread

Since my Jeep is about to undergo a major transformation, I decided it might be time to make a thread about it. I'll begin with the background information. I purchased it back in October 2010; it was stone stock... and in need of some TLC. At the time, I already owned a 1997 Wrangler SE:

jeeps2.jpg

As I explained it to my wife, this purchase was the easy way to simultaneously upgrade to the 4.0L engine, the Dana44 rear axle, and also get fewer miles on the odometer (SE had 94k; the Sport had only 82k). The Sport cost me just $1500 more than I got selling the SE, so I felt I did okay with this swap.

My ultimate goal was to put the Sport on 35" tires, but prudence required me to stay close to stock for a while. The Sport's bald tires failed safety inspection, so for mod #1 I simply swapped over the whole set (wheels and all) of nearly-new 31" MT/Rs from the SE. The top was in very poor shape, so mod #2 consisted of a BesTop Replace-A-Top. Because I absolutely hated the horrid aftermarket front bumper, replacing it with a sturdy ProComp one (and swiping the front tow hooks off the SE) was mod #3. It had only been a week, but already the Jeep felt substantially improved to me:

98tj.jpg

Not content with being such a low rider, I soon installed a budget boost. I knew this would be temporary, but it was cheap and it made me feel less bad about taking it off pavement. This caused me to rethink the whole modification strategy; I decided adding some armor now would be a wise precaution. First to go on were Rock Hard sliders, then a steering box skid plate, then a front diff skid plate, then a rear SmittyBilt SRC Classic rear bumper and Pure Jeep gas tank skid (installed at the same time since both operations required dropping the gas tank). I had a pair of TeraFlex quick disconnects for the front sway bar sitting in my garage, so they were put on; I also had a bikini and duster lying around for 3-season use. Most recently, I had the roll cage strengthened for improved protection.

And thus we arrive at it's current configuration (modified roll cage not shown here):

mascara1.jpg

gasskid2.jpg

Thanks primarily to all the armor, I am not afraid to use this Jeep. For example, I've run most of Constrictor (turning around just before Radiator Rapids) and I've played around out at Little Moab. Speaking of LM, here I am coming over the second (lesser) breakover with a couple feet of air under the right rear:

98_lm2b.jpg

I was willing to head out to the Rubicon Trail in this configuration, and that was indeed my plan. To reduce the odds of me being a liability to the group, I had decided to install an Air Locker in the tail as an insurance policy of sorts. I bought it a couple weeks ago, along with a Tuffy rear security enclosure; these are still waiting to be installed. But then an interesting thing happened--which I've already mentioned in this forum--and my wife greenlighted me to go ahead and mod the Jeep. So now I am going to install a whole lot of hardware:

- Air Lockers front & rear
- 4.56 gears
- 35" BFG KM2s
- Ultra 15x8 alloy wheels
- TeraFlex 4" lift with long arm upgrade
- TeraFlex Extreme short shaft kit
- rear CV driveshaft

I have already purchased the tires, wheels and all the TeraFlex hardware. Tomorrow I will order the second Air Locker and all the ring & pinion hardware. John (at Gaylon's Drivelines) is ready to make the driveshaft just as soon as I can get him the proper dimensions. Once I have everything, all I need is for Matt's schedule to open up so we can get started. (He had already agreed to install the locker for me; now he's getting much more than he bargained for.) As of this moment, the plan is for us to get started on July 16th or so.

I'll have to post more photos once we make some progress.

sixstringsteve

subscribed. I'm glad you'll be documenting this build. I love those stock wheels, they're some of my favorites.

Last edited:

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Quick question. Are you going to do most of the work yourself? Other than gears and such of course. If you are I'm sure you could get a build your jeep party going when all your stuff shows up.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
After seeing this Jeep rock Mineral Basin in it's current configuration, I expect you'll do great things with the new goodies. I'm in for a build party - I can't bring a welder, but I can bring pizza!

Omgbecki

I'm with kevin. I'm still in awe about you getting over that ledge. Can wait to see this build happen and to see what you can do with this jeep afterward. :) happy wrenching.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Sorry I haven't checked in on this thread (or even the whole forum) for a few days now.

UPDATE: I now have all my parts mentioned above. I am dropping the Jeep off at Matt's shop tomorrow evening. I would like to assist him where I can, but my schedule is so restrictive that I know he'll be doing practically all of the work on my behalf. Since he used to do this for a living, I am not remotely bothered by this.

We hope to have everything complete within two weeks, which would be August 4th. After that, I hope to make a shakedown run on Constrictor and/or up to Mineral Basin before the major Rubicon Trail shakedown run on the Hanging Tree Trail. :D

I'll post photos and more information as it happens.

Omgbecki

Just make sure that you get "during" pictures, especially for your fellow tj bothers. :)

Also, who is setting up your drive train? I'm buying a locker/carrier tomorrow and would like to see what I would get charged. If you don't mind me asking.

Last edited:

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Just make sure that you get "during" pictures, especially for your fellow tj bothers.

Insofar as my schedule will allow, you bet.

Also, who is setting up your drive train? I'm buying a locker/carrier tomorrow and would like to see what I would get charged.

My work is being done by my friend Matt. He is on RME (I think his screen name is UPN04 or something like that) but rarely posts. He has years of experience at this stuff; he used to own and run his own 4x4 shop in Orem. However, he no longer has that shop and thus I can't say if he'd want to do it or not. I'll be happy to ask him when I see him tonight, though.

Omgbecki

Thanks, any help is appreciated. All that needs to be done is swapping out carriers.

Do keep us posted on this build, friend.

TurboMinivan

Still plays with cars
Matt is willing to do it for you (after my Jeep is done). What kind of locker is it?

Oh, and I dropped my Jeep off at his place. I told him about this thread and encouraged him to post photos as the work progresses. :D

Last edited: